Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #1

Center Stand

I love center stands. Messing around with the chain, removing wheels, changing tires, everything is better with a center stand.

On the 4th of July I saw the center stand on CSC's site for just $52 or so, so I grabbed one. It showed up literally the day before I was to head out on a near-4,000 mile trip. I was so happy, because fixing a flat without a center stand would be no fun at all.

Installation was a breeze. I know Calvarez here gripes about the design, but hey, it's a center stand and it works, and it was cheap, so I am not complaining about the odd design (what happens is that the side stand and center stand conflict with each other, you have to put the side stand down to get the center stand to retract, etc).

So, fast forward to today. I come to a stop off the highway, turn left, and hear a weird sound followed by some scraping. I pull over, and the side stand is just dragging limply across the ground! The spring must have broken, I don't know, but it's long gone, there's no trace of it.

Standing there on the side of a sparsely-traveled desert highway in the middle of New Mexico with a busted stand was not a fun thing. But -- I had installed the center stand! Oh joy of joys, I am not screwed after all! I popped the bike up on the center stand and got to work rigging the side stand to stay up with a bungee cord and some duct tape, so grateful that I didn't have to try to balance the bike or lay it down, which I would definitely have to do if I didn't have that center stand.

I rigged up the side stand, packed up the gear, got on, rocked the bike forward, and the ghost of Calvarez appeared to me and said "look at that stupid design now.". And yeah, the center stand couldn't retract, it was barely off the ground, very hazardous, it would be insane to try to ride like this. Point, Calvarez.

I put the bike back on the center stand, undid my jerry-rigging, and removed the side stand entirely. In the meantime I am getting along by just using the center stand instead, which is - well, a tad dodgy, because getting my right leg over the seat and off the bike while trying to keep it balanced is a bit of an absurd dance. But man am I happy that I have it, if nothing else it's a great backup and saved me from an ugly standless situation.

So yeah, the design is not ideal, that's for sure. But if you pay attention to the limitations, and especially if you can get it for $52-ish, it's a home run. A quirky home run, but I am sure glad I got it.

Now to try to find a replacement sidestand spring...

Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

That is exactly what happened to me, because the center stand interferes with the side stand. You end up kicking the SPRING instead of the stand. It's a very dangerouse oversight in the design. I'm not sure when it will happen again, because although I know to be careful, I'm not always going to remember. After a lifetime of riding I'm on automatic when I go to park a bike. I now carry the spare spring with me. Sigh.

I completely understand the dance you went through, I had to do the same in a parking lot. Here's the story I posted when it happened:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22458

Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

You might want to get some practice in using the "Roy Rogers" mount/dismount technique in case of future side stand problems:

Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #4

Well that was impressive. I will have to give that a try, but, can I practice on your bike until I get it down?