Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Bottled water? (large image file, dial up warning)

Since some people here seem interested in being more environmentally friendly I thought I would post this up here...

Also, my tap water, has apparently won awards for being the best tap water (in the world the poster claimed), I don't know about that but it's pretty good.

Presented by Online Education

Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

I prefer my tap water too. I usually reuse the same bottles and fill them back up. Too cheap to keep buying more.

I recycle because its there and easy for me to do.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #3

Which is why I drink beer instead

Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #4

I drink alot of bottled water when I'm on the road, and I don't feel any worse about that than Coke or Pepsi. I'm sure that the same energy is used to produce those bottles.

When I'm in town, I refill a stainless drinking bottle from the tap.

Thanks for the info Jim.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Not trying to make anyone feel bad :P Just thought I'd post it up in case anyone was interested. I have a plastic water bottle that is Nalgene brand I believe, made in USA that is bpa (or something) free... I've tried metal ones and also cheap plastic ones but they always made the water taste funny, that nalgene one doesn't give it any sort of funny taste.

I don't know where exactly the water districts change here in Abby, but I'm in the clearbrook water works district, apparently our water is better then some other areas in Abbotsford, my sister over by McCallum doesn't like her tap water so she stocks up on mine. The stuff at my parents place out in Bradner isn't the best either. I guess I lucked out on mine, it wasn't something I considered before I moved here, but it's really good.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

The water in Clayburn is amazing. I can dismantle valves that I haven't looked at in five years, and there won't be a spec of calcium, lime, dirt or anything else. The water is very acidic, so it eats copper, which makes a good case for PEX. That said, copper has been in use for a long time, it's a mineral that your body can use (correct me if I'm wrong, FastDoc) and I'm not convinced that PEX is inert. I'm also still a little shy after the whole Poly B fiasco; who needs plastic pipe that spontaneously bursts? At least copper will only create a pinhole, giving you the opportunity to repair it before it's a disaster.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #7

I don't even know whats in my building here... :roll:

Old 12-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Which is why I drink beer instead
ditto

Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #9

We use bottled water but only when we are mobile otherwise we use tap water.I dont like reusing water bottles unless they can be cleaned in a dishwasher since bacteria will start to grow in used unwashed bottles.

The city we moved from had decent water but our house still had lead from the water main to the curbstop then from there it was galvanized that we changed over to copper a few years back but the lead was still there.The system as a whole still has a lot of lead in it from service lines to actual leaded water main seams.
The water and chemicals in it actually coat the inside of the main and service lines so the lead if undisturbed is isolated.(so they say)

The water where we used to live was not bad but I think it could be much better.I never liked drinking from the tap there.I know too much of what goes on with that water since I work for that water department.The biggest thing they do is shock the water with chorine, sometimes it would be so bad it smelled like bleach when we showered.

Where we moved to has new water mains on our street atleast so it is probably an 8" main with copper supply lines which is good.The water at this new/old house is fantastic, great pressure, no smells and it tastes great.All the plumbing is copper installed it all myself.

If you walk/drive around the streets near your house and look at the fire hydrants you'll find a date on them and after looking at a few you will be able to determine how old your water system is.In the city I work for we have a lot of them that are 1928-29.We change out hydrants all the time when they go bad but the old ones just seem to be made better.

I drove my wife crazy one day doing that around the new house before we bought it.I'm looking at all the hydrants and telling her they are all 2004 so they must have put in a new water main in 2004-2005.After we moved in and got to talking to the neighbors he told me that they did get new water mains a few years back.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #10

I try to recycle and conserve resources whenever time, money, and personaly energy allows. When I'm doing tree work, we fill a couple 5 gallon jugs out of a faucet, then I normally carry some Tang or some other cheap flavored stuff with me and mix it in my mini jug to get some sugar and salts back in me. For the house I buy 2 litre bottles of soda instead of cans because when I have cans I tend to drink it quicker and never put a half drank can of soda back in the fridge. Also while I don't know whether cans or bottles consume more energy to produce in the end, I do know you can haul several more times of bottles then cans because the bottles come in what they call preforms. They are mini bottles that are not at full size. When they get to the factory for filling, they heat the plastic up and blow it up with air before they fill it with product, where as cans leave the can factory at it's full size. I also never throw away metal and send it all to a local recycler. Since I sometimes work around trees and trees are huge carbon sinks, improve air quality, block wind in the winter, and provide shade onto houses during the summer, I try to take that into account whenever possible. I try to find (within reason) solutions to keeping the tree, plus I try to dispose of the wood in ways in which the wood may help the enviroment. I also ride the motorcycle whenever possible. When I owned my own semi I never just let it sit and idle unless the tempatures were above 85F in the summer or below 40 in the winter. When fuel prices spiked I had to take drastic measures to avoid bankruptcy so I never idled in winter unless it got below 25 degree F and even then I would just wake up every 2 hours and start it for 15 minutes to keep the oil and fuel from thickening or gelling. In the summer I removed the entire AC system from the truck because I couldn't afford to idle and without the AC condenser in the front of the radiator and air charger, it could produce (very small amount) more horsepower since the air charger could cool better and also the fan wouldn't cycle on as much because the enigine would stay cooler longer when climbing hills. If I was rich I probably wouldn't of taken such extreme measures but I would still try to be conservative by reducing idle times and staying below well 65mph.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #11

I try and recycle as much as possible. That includes cars, bikes, mowers, building materials, etc.

My lifan is getting recycled right now. Others will get its parts so it can live on.