Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #1

Many consumers who are not mechanically motivated or from their point of view personally invest themselves into a transport appliance, will sell and buy new after the factory support/warranty period expires...This makes resale value important for some.

At least you have the options....In Australia these Chinese road use bikes are basically non existent.

There are China bike distributors. SWM, Braaap and CF Moto etc...but nothing like the RE650 I've found

Old 09-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Many consumers who are not mechanically motivated or from their point of view personally invest themselves into a transport appliance, will sell and buy new after the factory support/warranty period expires...This makes resale value important for some.

At least you have the options....In Australia these Chinese road use bikes are basically non existent.

There are China bike distributors. SWM, Braaap and CF Moto etc...but nothing like the RE650 I've found
Yep, and options are always good to have. We've got CFMoto here in the US, with dealers even, but for some strange reason they only bring in their side by sides and UTV's, no motorcycles, which sucks IMO. And yes, I understand about the folks who flip their bikes before the warranty expires, but that's on them. "You pays your money, you takes your chances", as they say. I want to ride mine into the ground, my Chinese bikes in particular, since I'm curious as to their long term durability, which I'm pleased to report is pretty damn good so far.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #3

Their motorcycles used to come here. They didn't sell well. And we're usually priced close to their competition, but we're underwhelming compared to them. CF Moto stopped selling them

Old 09-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
Their motorcycles used to come here. They didn't sell well. And we're usually priced close to their competition, but we're underwhelming compared to them. CF Moto stopped selling them
Yep, that is the exact reason they didn't sell well. The CF Moto 650TK and NK were sold here from around 2010-2014. Not really bad bikes either from all accounts, but because they were priced right in line with all of the big name brand 650's - which is a TOUGH segment to get into - and they didn't really offer anything unique AND their performance was mediocre at best, but priced pretty much the same as said big brands... They didn't sell. Heck, you can STILL buy a brand new 2013-14's from certain dealers.

That being said, I do think CSC has a few big legs up over the CF Moto bikes. For one, CF Moto was sold like most Chinese bikes, through other third party dealers. That meant warranty issues were difficult to claim, parts were hard to get, etc. CSC is an actual dedicated brand/dealer for these bikes. This means they stock the parts and honor the warranties, and they do a dang good job of it. Working_ZS said everything perfectly above with his response, and is exactly how I view it. I think the SG400 definitely fills a market gap, even if it is a niche' market. Nothing else like it really exists in the segment, so even if the pricing is on par with other similar displacement bikes, it offers things the others don't, and features the others don't.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #5

I'm not sure why we're comparing a 650 to a 400. Totally different beasts, unless I'm missing something here.

Like WZS, I'm also a multiple CSC bike purchaser and have been totally happy with the products and support I've received, for all the same reasons he listed. I've also done just as well on the resale as any Japanese bikes I've owned, if that makes a difference to a person.

I'd like to try the Haylon, myself. Looks like a nice canyon carver for our roads up here in the sticks.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I'm not sure why we're comparing a 650 to a 400. Totally different beasts, unless I'm missing something here.
megadan said he was torn between a 650 and sg400.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
Megadan's size? Get the physically larger bike. I doubt we'll find him in a Smart Car anytime soon.... ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-06-2021, 02:51 AM   #8

Quote:
It started because I have an equal interest in both bikes. You would think they are very different, but in reality they are more alike than you would think. An aircooled "650" twin making 47hp weighing in at about 450lbs vs a 36hp water cooled "400" twin weighing in at about 360lbs. Both more "traditional" styled bikes, have almost identical power to weight ratios (about 10lbs per HP), and roughly similar price points.

As far as I am concerned, the RE 650's are in the most direct competition with the liquid cooled 300-400cc bike segment as a whole, which is why it is being considered among them. The RE also has that rugged simplicity factor that I kind of like being an overbuilt air cooled motor. Plus, the 270 crank makes it sound cool lol.

Quote:
Megadan's size? Get the physically larger bike. I doubt we'll find him in a Smart Car anytime soon.... ;-)
Aside from the width of the bikes, they are actually pretty close in size in terms of wheelbase, seat height, etc. So the "bigger" bike really isn't that much bigger.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
We are comparing 400s and 650s because the CSC and RE are affordable twins with retro styling?
-The Genuine G400 offers the classic looks at a lower price, but at a significantly lower cruising speed.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #10

One thing i like about the RE 650 is the sound.

Royal Enfield gave few demo motorcycle to few local magazines to test and put videos about them and boy i sure loved the sound.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post

Royal Enfield gave few demo motorcycle to few local magazines to test and put videos about them and boy i sure loved the sound.

MAN...that guy rides that bike like he's the King of Scotland or something! About 3/4 through he completely cuts off that driver in the roundabout! That is flat-out Bad and Rude motorcycling!

Old 09-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post

Sounds great! Seems a little slow on the acceleration, I can see why they go big on the performance mods.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #13

There appears to be pros and cons for either option...both can be modded. If you are purchasing a bike to hack it up and improve it then using the servicing and warranty cover to promote the value is now a moot point.

I believe the dilemma is if the extra $900USD premium on the RE650 is worth it?

My perception in Megadan's case is that the additional cost is not worth it. But for others it may very well be.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:34 AM   #14

Its basically the same conundrum as a Suzuki DRZ400 vs DR650 debate. Either way you choose you end up with a pretty good bike....

PS, Im in the DR650 aka 'Bush Pig' camp.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #15

Since we are comparing, what about seat height?

After watching the CSC video provided earlier in the thread, Mrs. 2LZ was very interested in the SG400 simply because a guy with a 30" inseam can flat-foot it. Even with the lowering doo-dad on her RX3 and the forks sucked up in the trees, she still tip-toes it.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Tags
csc, san gabriel, sg400