Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2022, 09:50 PM   #1

2021 Hawk 250 Transmission Issue

Hey y’all. My name is Brooklyn. Some people call me Brook, some simply “B”. I’m a single mom in South Texas and just bought my first Hawk dual sport. It’s the base model with carb and less optimal equipment than the upgraded version. Bad ass lil bike, but… the guy I bought it from beat the crap out of it and was one of those excessive, obsessive wheelie guys. Anyways……

When I first start it cold everything is very, VERY good. Once it warms up, I get this weird shifting thing going on. I like to start out in second because it’s geared so low. It’s almost easier on the engine and tranny in most situations to do so. But regardless when I shift from first to second, or for that matter start out in second, theres this noise followed by a slight jump. It almost feels like what you would experience with a chain way too slack and its struggling to stay on the rear cog when it catches but auto corrects. It also does it in first. Or, first AND second if I work my way through. Here’s the kicker, it’s always, and ONLY at the very very very end of the friction zone just as I come completely off the clutch.

So here’s what I’m assuming. There seems to be no separate transmission fluid, which means that the engine oil would have to be doing the lubrication of the entire system. I checked the oil and it’s pitch black so the previous owner is full of it when he said that he had just done it. Would it stand to reason that the problem is being caused by the oil loosing its viscosity once it heats up and it’s not doing a sufficient job of lubricating the transmission, or is there something else entirely that I need to look at??? The reason I’m thinking oil problem is it only happens once the engine warms.

Also, separate question. Is it “bad” to shift through the gears both up and down without using the clutch? My autism makes me freakishly good at it and I can do it more gently that way than I can with it.

Tags
clutch, drive train, gearbox, shifting, transmission