Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

Oh No Starter stuck engaging!

Hello everyone. I purchased my hawk alongside my dad and brother in November. They have ran great for all of us. Today I had a weird issue. I started my bike like I normally do to go get the mail. I rode it there and back and put it away. I got it back out about 20 minutes later and it seemed like it was flooded. I continued to try and start using electric start. All of a sudden, the starter gets stuck engaging and continues so until my battery died. I disconnected the battery, charged it, reconnected, and as soon as I connect the ground, the starter engages again. With the key turned to the off position and the killswitch engaged, it still tries to turn over. Any idea what the problem would be? I know it is electrical somewhere but I’m not sure where. Hopefully someone has had the same issue and can help. Thanks

Old 02-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #2

Starter button (stuck) would be a candidate. Unfortunately, the connector for the starter button is buried under the gauge cluster. Disconnecting it could stop the perpetual start! But it could be the solenoid. After you recharge, verify that the starter isn't constantly engaged (turn on the key!). Tap the solenoid with a screwdriver handle multiple times (with power turned off). This may break loose a stuck solenoid. Turn the key on again. Did this fix it? Get a new solenoid.

These are the two most probable issues (starter button, and solenoid).

Last edited by Thumper; 02-01-2022 at 08:48 PM.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #3

Your starter is on a separate circuit from the ignition and kill switch.

What you have is a bad solenoid. It is a magnetic relay that engages the starter. It is a round device under the seat. It will have a wire from the battery, small wires that go to the starter switch, and a ground to the starter itself.

You can disconnect the hot lead and start the bike with the kick-starter while you wait for a new one to ship. Or you can go to Autozone and buy one intended for a 1960s era Ford Falcon.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #4

I had a similar problem on my Bashan. I bought a starter solenoid off Ebay for about $8.50. The local dealer wanted $85.

Search Ebay for a GY6 starter relay. I had to change a wire coupling, but it works great.

2016 Magician 250

Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #5

Listen to these guys. Solenoid is probably the issue. Find it, tap it. It may disengage. This will verify.
The "seems like it was flooded" thing is not related. If it wouldn't start, it may have been too rich (choke on), or too lean (unlikely). But the stuck starter is a separate issue.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #6

Smile Thanks guys!

Wow those were fast replies! Thanks guys for getting back to me fast. I will try and solve the problem tomorrow. I should be able to get it done with the information I got from you guys. Thank you!

Old 02-02-2022, 01:39 AM   #7

rebuild till new gets there

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilly03@gmail.com View Post
Wow those were fast replies! Thanks guys for getting back to me fast. I will try and solve the problem tomorrow. I should be able to get it done with the information I got from you guys. Thank you!
The solenoid might have screws or you may have to pry open....and you will see contact discs that you can sand or file down and see if there is a reason it got stuck and clean the area thats sticking little wd and put back together...had a chevy when it got hot I had to hit the starter w/ solinoid attached and it would start...its temporary for sure..

Tags
electrical, ground, hawk 250, starter