Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

New Rider/ BSR 250 owner with (potentially stupid) questions. Clutch, gearing, etc!

Hey All,

I finally got around to assembling my Vitacci Raven / Bashan BSR 250 this month (I have an old build thread I'll be updating soon). Having never ridden a motorcycle, much less built one, the first ride was quite an experience. I think it went really well, but had some questions before I try riding it again.

Clutch issues: When in first gear, the bike will try to roll slightly even with the clutch fully pulled in - which would indicate too much slack in the cable. But when the clutch is let out, the cable has NO slack at all. In addition, I feel like the friction zone is extremely small - as I'm releasing I hit a 1mm section where I either have to hit the throttle HARD to get moving or the bike stalls. I mean I know I'm new and suck, but it is REALLY small. Help?

Gearing: I feel like the 1st gear is useless on these bikes? I believe the BSR has a 17/46 sprocket setup, but I have to rev to 4000+ RPM to hit 12 mph in a flat parking lot. Normal?

Oil: When I first got the bike I changed all fluids (brake, fork, oil). After my first ride of <10 miles, I already see suspended particles in the oil window. Should I be worried or just do another oil change and see if they return??

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Old 10-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome. I'm no expert as I'm new to this whole thing for about 1 1/2 years now. I have a 2020 Brozz 250.

Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted correctly. You definitely should be able to stop any movement with the clutch engaged. There should be some slack when the lever is all the way out. I had no issues with the clutch and only just did an adjustment on the lever, about 1/2 turn tighter, after 2K miles on the bike. The friction zone will widen once you get some miles on. And for a new rider it takes practice. Also they don't like to be shifted if the bike is standing still. Like finding neutral. it's easier if the bike is moving. And gets better over time.

First gear is very low. These bikes don't have the kind of power though where starts from 2 gear are a good idea. First gear can be great on a single track trail.

As far as the oil. I don't think seeing particles after you have changed the oil is common. I would change the oil again and watch it close.

Again, welcome

John

Old 10-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #3

The BSR comes with a normal 5 speed that...like most bikes...first gear is basically just to get you rolling...or just lolly-gagging along. Expect to shift from 1st to 2nd rather quickly. I had no issues with the clutch, yours just probably needs adjusting...mine had too much slack...so the starter safety was also ineffective. As far as seeing particles through the site glass - are you sure you are seeing particles? Are you using a magnifying glass? If you can actually "see" particles...that's alarming...and you should drain the oil and take a closer look! Possible clutch/tranny issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-l.jpg (26.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 20210602_111613.jpg (41.1 KB, 185 views)

Old 10-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

Thanks very much for the replies guys. I gave the bike and all cables a once over - including adjusting the clutch at the case - and I think that fixed my issue.

However, I'm still unhappy with how low first gear is. I'm mostly riding local / neighborhood roads for practice, and having to pull out into traffic from a stop and immediately shift up to 2nd in the middle of the turn just to get past 10 mph is a pain. I'm hoping the new jets and exhaust I have on the way will help this to some extent. Maybe a gearing change as well?

Last, I think I was being dramatic about the oil. I think it was just dirty - potentially from some fuel treatmant I had in the gas. I did find one good sized sliver in the oil screen, so I am glad I changed it. It's already dirty again, but I think two oil changes in the first 50 miles is probably enough.

Thanks again!