Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2023, 11:07 PM   #16

If you think it might be a sheared key just unbolt the flywheel and take it off to see.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #17

Thursday

OK, It is Thursday. Install those pills, I mean parts, and it will spark to life

Oh. I am sorry. But more helpful, possibly... Your comment from PO

"he was riding it when the wiring harness near the headlight started to smoke and it shut down."

is something to be concerned about. It is a pain in the neck, but not so much on this naked creature. Remove it, unwrap everything, look for meltdown (potential short).

I think a generic harness for a 165FMM might be available for $25-40. But you might be able to rewrap a melted area, and rescue the harness.

You can also replace with a rudimentary handmade harness with only critical engine/ignition/coil, stator, CDI box... and see if you can just start the engine. It would be simpler to buy a harness, especially if you find melted wires inside the wrap.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:05 PM   #18

OK guys, got good news and some bad news

Bad news:

Did a compression test and got a measly 60psi

Didn't have my leak down tester on me at the time, but figured it might be stuck rings like BogieBoy said, so I squirted a few ounces of Kroil down the cylinder and let it sit

Good news:

Today I cranked her over and the gauge shot up to 140psi

I was planning on just doing a leak down test, but after getting the new reading, I popped the carb back on, connected the CDI box, sprayed a little carb cleaner down her throat and she fired right up

Added a kill switch, ran some tubing down to the carb, filled it up with gas and did a few test runs

Old 03-13-2023, 09:54 PM   #19

Glad to hear its running!!!!! The only question i have now is will it last ir will they stick again, i simply replaced the piston and rings on mine.... partly because once i pulled the jug and saw the stuck rings i tried to pull them out and promptly broke them into about 20 pieces, and still had several pieces stuck on the piston that werent gonna come out...LOL