Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2023, 12:03 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtemplar250 View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking about a sprocket change as well. Does the 42T rear still let you have enough low end in 1st for off-road?

I read through this thread again, and it seems like stock front gear with 42T in rear is the most common change everyone is doing.

When I first got this bike I followed the engine break in procedure to around 500 miles. After the break in riding mostly hwy I've used the bike 80% dirt 20% hwy. I love taking the bike around town but it's more impressive as a trail bike. The 42 tooth rear sprocket with 13 tooth front is still a little quicker than I like on technical trails but it's absolutely doable.

I decided to order a complete rear rim & tire along with chain so I can quickly swap out from factory to a 14/42 gearing that offers great hwy ratios.

I'm not doing anything off-road without a Kickstarter backup. I love the thought of a 6 speed but I can honestly feel the vibrations has eased quite a bit after 1500 miles on this bike. It's a lot better on the crazy buzzing from no counterbalance engine now with miles and use...

Old 01-16-2023, 12:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
When I first got this bike I followed the engine break in procedure to around 500 miles. After the break in riding mostly hwy I've used the bike 80% dirt 20% hwy. I love taking the bike around town but it's more impressive as a trail bike. The 42 tooth rear sprocket with 13 tooth front is still a little quicker than I like on technical trails but it's absolutely doable.

I decided to order a complete rear rim & tire along with chain so I can quickly swap out from factory to a 14/42 gearing that offers great hwy ratios.

I'm not doing anything off-road without a Kickstarter backup. I love the thought of a 6 speed but I can honestly feel the vibrations has eased quite a bit after 1500 miles on this bike. It's a lot better on the crazy buzzing from no counterbalance engine now with miles and use...
The lack of kickstarter is a HUGE deal for me.
I was ready to get a 6 speed a few weeks ago, saw no kick starter, and out the credit card away.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 01-16-2023, 06:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
The lack of kickstarter is a HUGE deal for me.
I was ready to get a 6 speed a few weeks ago, saw no kick starter, and out the credit card away.

I was always a kickstart guy, but someone here (Megadan) reminded me you can always bump start it. Not a deal breaker for me anymore....

Old 01-16-2023, 07:08 PM   #4

Graphics for the X

I found a site to customize graphics for the X

motocal.com (sorry not a link) has customizable graphic kits for almost anything off road.

Since the plastics are from a '07 to '09 RMZ250 you can select it and make some cool stuff four your panels. They are a bit pricey.. The ones I am working on are a little over $200. You can deselect the ones that don't apply. Tons of colors and company logos to apply. If I was better at computers, I would show what I have "designed" so far.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooker89 View Post
I was always a kickstart guy, but someone here (Megadan) reminded me you can always bump start it. Not a deal breaker for me anymore....
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Bump starting is easy. I did all the time as a kid with a crap dirt bike that I owned.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtemplar250 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Bump starting is easy. I did all the time as a kid with a crap dirt bike that I owned.
How do ya do that in the middle of a pasture, corn or wheat field?
Genuinely curious, I thought it required a downhill grade

Old 01-17-2023, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Get a battery with more CCA. If everything is adjusted, jetted, you don't need it, but otherwise...

Amazon has 'em back in stock. It fits tightly in the Temp X, maximizing the space.

Weize YTX5L-BS (80 CCA)

Name:  NewBatt.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  157.7 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 01-18-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Get a battery with more CCA. If everything is adjusted, jetted, you don't need it, but otherwise...

Amazon has 'em back in stock. It fits tightly in the Temp X, maximizing the space.

Weize YTX5L-BS

Attachment 28388
I already ordered one last week, will be here Thursday, God willing.
Still want a kickstarter on a bike I’m routinely in bfe with lol.

Hey what size is the fuel line on the X? I’ve got 1/4, 3/8, 5/16, nothing fits. Is it metric?

Old 01-17-2023, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Weize YTX5L-BS

Attachment 28388

Thinking this battery is a good choice.

I'm interested in what did you finally land on for Carb jetting. I've cracked the OEM carb as you first did on this forum.Thinking about adding a air screw from another post. My only complaint is setting a preferred lower idle.

Searching now near 90 pages of information I cant seem to easily find what I'm looking for.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Nah, any flat area would work. If you're deep in a field, it might be difficult without a hill because of the friction from the high plants. But you don't need very much momentum to bump start--just enough to kick the motor over a couple rotations when you pop the clutch.

Basically, you run next to the bike and then hop on it and pop the clutch. If you're short, that might be easier said than done on a tall dirt bike.

OR:

Keep a small battery back-up jump pack with you on long adventure runs. They're small and would easily jump start your bike. Better than a kick starter for sure.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooker89 View Post
Try bump starting this bike in the field before a real life event requires it. I have put this bike in 5th rolling fairly quick to only have the rear tire drag. Only 9:1 compression but it feels like more... I'm not a fan of kick starting this bike either. I've found out when your battery only has a little life left hold the starter button down and kick at the same time....