Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #16

The cool thing is you could fabricate a few different designs and then try them to quantify the difference.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #17

weld...rereading luna last comment and i thought of the dashed cut on the 4 edge too. i saw where you mentioned it. i am always trying to do something with least amount of work.(usually in too big a hurry and get punished and have to take the whole thing apart anyway )
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #18

As Spud is fond of saying, there's never enough time to do it right but there's always time to do it twice.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #19

I am going to close the end off so the air flow goes through the drilled holes and add the wire mesh to make it legal for National Forests. I may redo the entire thing because I just went to Harbor Freight and purchased an 8 inch 5 speed drill press for $54 so now I can actually drill the holes straight and evenly spaced. Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.

BTW I can tell a big difference in the speed and HP of the Hawk. K&N filter should be here tomorrow evening and I'm going to rejet when I put it in. I have a little bit of popping on deceleration now so I suspect it's a little lean after the exhaust job. I've already went to a 110 main so I'll try a 115 or 120. Pretty fun to be tinkering with a bike again. I had my old ZRX dialed in and all I ever did to it was ride.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #20

Might need to mess with the Adjustment Screws or go up a Pilot Jet size to cut down on the "Deceleration Popping", but a properly tuned engine with an "open exhaust" might make some 'decel popping' no matter how rich the carb is tuned

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Might need to mess with the Adjustment Screws or go up a Pilot Jet size to cut down on the "Deceleration Popping", but a properly tuned engine with an "open exhaust" might make some 'decel popping' no matter how rich the carb is tuned
Yea, I'm gonna take a gander at the plug and see if it tells me anything before I rejet.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #22

You won't regret that bench top drill, you will find continuous uses with it. I bought a craftsman a few years ago and paid too much but have loved having it. It really is a cornerstone shop tool.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
You won't regret that bench top drill, you will find continuous uses with it. I bought a craftsman a few years ago and paid too much but have loved having it. It really is a cornerstone shop tool.
Funny thing is I was in industrial maintenance for over 20 years until 5 years ago when I changed careers (sort of anyway). I worked in a machine shop and had access to every piece of equipment you could want. Since then I've been trying to put my home shop together. One piece at a time....

Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTech View Post
Funny thing is I was in industrial maintenance for over 20 years until 5 years ago when I changed careers (sort of anyway). I worked in a machine shop and had access to every piece of equipment you could want. Since then I've been trying to put my home shop together. One piece at a time....
I'm sure there were a few missing pieces that were permanently borrowed

Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #25

LT, I recommend that you try a 112.5 before a 115.