Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Just some ramblings about my Hawk

I've been missing my beloved ZRX lately. There is just something about that inline 1100cc torque that is addicting. We home school our daughters and are a one income family so I originally sold the ZRX to free up the money to purchase everyone dirtbikes so we could all enjoy motorcycling together. So I took the money and purchased two 125cc bikes for the girls and two Hawks for the wife and I. We didn't get to use them too much this past year due to many different factors and I was seriously considering selling them all and getting me another ZRX, until yesterday. We had an absolutely perfect day here in NC, sunny and a high of 75°F (although a little on the windy side). So I get the Hawks out of the basement, fire them up, and we go for a ride. I now remember why I like the Hawk's so much. I actually enjoy the ride much more at the slower pace the Hawks dictate. It's so nice just to cruise around and enjoy the scenery and weather without having to muscle around a 500+lb bike. Now I still love a ZRX and WILL have another one someday but until then my Hawk is just fine. Rambling over, continue on with your regularly scheduled day. Stay safe and have fun.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

I know the feeling. I still miss my Victory TC sometimes. It was a barge but the huge V-Twin torque is totally addictive, as well. Fortunately, Mrs 2LZ still has her Vic Kingpin so if I really need to get my yah yah's out....I'll take it for a blast.

......but you're right. I now really enjoy the slower pace and nimble feel of the little dual sports. Much more sight seeing involved and so tossable. Unlike your ZRX, I can't say I'll have another massive Road Barge again....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

if you want a break, come on down and pick up one of my C10s. not as musclebound as your ZRX, but still fun.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

I'm with you on missing the torque. But in my motorcycling career I went up the ladder past the liter mark and then hopping on a Bar Hog one Day and taking it down US129 really showed me how much fun a small displacement bike can be. The little dual sports are so much fun, and Honestly I find myself WANTING to ride more. Whereas with the other bikes I can go weeks without an urge to take them out. But that dual sport just calls my name.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

I do really enjoy the nimble feel and slower pace of the Hawk. The ZRX just never got rode anymore but she was a hoot to ride. Now there is about 100mph difference in top speed between the two but I only used it once on the ZRX . I was going to get the Hawk out today as we had another beautiful day but after having to literally dig them out of the basement yesterday I was motivated to clean it up today after our school was done. Much easier to get them out now. Thinking I'll go with a 45 rear sprocket and see how it does with the 17 I have on the front. Also going to get a couple digital dash cluster to put on. Really looking forward to getting out and putting some miles on this year.

Oh and Sport Rider, we need to get together and ride some since we live fairly close to one another.

Last edited by LunaTech; 02-14-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #6

I think a 17/45-47 if perfect for these little motors. It has good off road as well as on road manners. I feel you about having to dig the bikes out. ALL mine are in a small mad shed and they are stacked in there. SO getting the Brozz out is no easy task. But worth it. I have a 28X48 man cave going up soon. What will I do with all that room? MORE CHINA BIKES!!! LOL

Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTech View Post
I do really enjoy the nimble feel and slower pace of the Hawk. The ZRX just never go rode anymore but she was a hoot to ride. Now there is about 100mph difference in top speed between the two but I only used it once on the ZRX . I was going to get the Hawk out today as we had another beautiful day but after having to literally dig them out of the basement yesterday I was motivated to clean it up today after our school was done. Much easier to get them out now. Thinking I'll go with a 45 rear sprocket and see how it does with the 17 I have on the front. Also going to get a couple digital dash cluster to put on. Really looking forward to getting out and putting some miles on this year.

Oh and Sport Rider, we need to get together and ride some since we live fairly close to one another.
I want to ride the last part of this, past Lenior and up the mountain:
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...bakersville-nc

and also do this section:
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ggie-valley-nc

and finish off on this:
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...o-deals-gap-nc

I'm trying to set up a weekend with another friend who has a hawk to perhaps camp in the Waynesville area and do some of sections 6 and 7.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
if you want a break, come on down and pick up one of my C10s. not as musclebound as your ZRX, but still fun.
C-10's? You've got C-10's? I didn't think there were more than 20 in the whole country. Ah yes, my happy memories of riding a BSA C-10. It ran out of breath at the top end, but low end torque? Mucho! Perfect engine for a dual-sport or trials bike.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
I want to ride the last part of this, past Lenior and up the mountain:
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...bakersville-nc

and also do this section:
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ggie-valley-nc

and finish off on this:
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...o-deals-gap-nc

I'm trying to set up a weekend with another friend who has a hawk to perhaps camp in the Waynesville area and do some of sections 6 and 7.
As long as it's April or later I VERY interested. Keep me in the loop and if you need some help planning let me know. I have some roads just outside of Lenior I want to ride. I'll post up a new thread when I can get it together.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
C-10's? You've got C-10's? I didn't think there were more than 20 in the whole country. Ah yes, my happy memories of riding a BSA C-10. It ran out of breath at the top end, but low end torque? Mucho! Perfect engine for a dual-sport or trials bike.
yeahhhhhhhhhhh....NO...we might be talking different generations here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsa c10 01.jpg (50.4 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Sport Rider; 02-05-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTech View Post
As long as it's April or later I VERY interested. Keep me in the loop and if you need some help planning let me know. I have some roads just outside of Lenior I want to ride. I'll post up a new thread when I can get it together.
that would be good too. I'm looking to get the hawk out in the environment for which it was intended.

it would be a fantastic adventure to take a Hawk all the way across the TAT to the west coast. I would probably need a chase truck to carry spare parts and tools and such. that, and about a month's worth of time.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #12

Quote:
yeahhhhhhhhhhh....NO...we might be talking different generations here.
Guess which one of those two in the pictures I'd prefer to have! Different generations? What different generation. I did ride a C-10, and I could ride your C-10, if you let me.....ARH