Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #1

XR650L: Subframe Reinforcment

The subframe on the Honda XR650L has been known to fail under heavy loads. :( I frequently pack my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk with a hefty load of groceries. I also plan to take short trips with my XR650L, and I would prefer to use the J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk as my luggage. Therefore, I decided I should reinforce the subframe of my XR650L. Since I removed the battery box when I performed my Shorai battery relocation, I decided to bolt a ¼-inch thick, steel bar between the two supports that previously held the frame for the battery box.

For the subframe support on the muffler side, my good friend Andy welded a short piece of steel bar at an angle to a longer piece of steel bar. I removed the rear fender brace, and mounted the rear of this bar with the bolt that previously held the fender brace. The bottom of the air box has a thick tab which is bolted to the bike's frame. I drilled a hole through this lower, air box support, and mounted the front of this subframe brace with a bolt through the air box tab, and the frame gusset which supports both the air box, and the front of the muffler.

Here is a photograph from the rear of my bike, showing the clearance between the subframe struts and the rear tire.

Here is a photograph of the right side of my bike, after the installation of the subframe struts. The front mounting bolt for the right side strut is located within the green circle in this photo.

Here is a photograph of the left side of my bike, after the installation of the subframe struts.

I have a 2-inch space between the outside of the left strut, and my XR600R side plastic. I would like to mount a tool tube/box to the outside of this strut, and remove the factory tool bag. With the stock tool bag removed, I can install a new, ManRacks RotoPax rack which mounts closer to the saddle, reducing the leverage the loaded rack exerts on the subframe. I reckon I can mount a piece of PVC pipe with a 2-inch outside diameter to serve as the new tool tube. However, I would appreciate receiving other suggestions for creating my new toolbox.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #2

It looks like triangulating the subframe is a good idea (and cheap insurance). It all but disappears from the side.

PVC is a good idea. It's cheap, easy to work with and light. ABS is a similar option, and it's already black.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #3

+1 on the abs no painting needed. i have been wanting to replace my tool carrier with something better myself. i been thinking of making one big enough for my tools and spare cdi.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #5

Subframe reinforcement is always a good idea, manufacturers always seem to engineer the subframe attachments a little on the light side . As far as the tool tubes are concerned, I know a lot of my KLR brethren have them. They usually use 3 or 4 inch abs and usually use those end caps with the gasket and the wing nut to close them up. They also usually put the tools into a roll or an old sock to keep them from rattling around so much and make them easier to get out of the tube. They quite often attach them to the front of the skid plate. Usually there's plenty of clearance between the front wheel and the skid plate to accommodate them . Some people were also buying agri tubes and mounting them as well, same idea as the tool tube but premade with a screw on top. Would be a good place to hold tire irons and a couple of flatwrenches... Maybe even a quickjack?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

Thanks for the tip, Stew! A lot of the XR650L riders are doing the same as the KLR650 riders regarding the tool tube. However, I am reluctant to mount a tool tube in front of the skid plate. I definitely prefer the small, tractor manual canisters sold by Agri Supply.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister/c/1900088/

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #7

I think this KTM LC4 tool box is just about the perfect size to place on my left subframe strut.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran...4_tool_box.htm

Does anyone know of other, similar tool boxes I might consider?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220