Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2021, 10:07 PM   #1

Don't berate me.. just valve question I can't figure out

I'm at 518mi. - had three oil changes since getting it, swapping the fluid and doing the valves.. Now, when I did the valves, I was still under 100mi. and did the intake at .002 and exhaust at .003 per another users expertise on the adjustments.

Now I'm at 518mi., and was suggested to check the valves around 500mi. so, that I did. They were very, very tight like before. I also have changed carbs and swapped out the main jet for a 110 - and set the intake for .003, exhaust for .004.... and this is where it gets sticky. When I finished up, I started the bike and immediately noticed a very prominent 'tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick'.... during the tear down, I swapped out the ignition coil for one of the 'performance' coils; I'm not exactly sure if this is what's being heard, or if it is the valves.. but I'm not too sure what to do at this point. I'm going to go over it again tomorrow and re-do the valves for intake .002, exhaust .003 like before and see what happens. . . And was at TDC like I should have been.

It has been a while since I've been on here - I know valves are a common thing but I wouldn't think I could have any internal issues at 518mi... but I could be absolutely wrong.. Before the adjustment, tight valves, no ticks - ran actually pretty darn good. Did the adjustment around 100mi. and still no ticks, still ran good. Can't keep up enough for interstate, but I have enough back roads to compensate... but I'm about to go out on a ride THIS Friday - and this happens..

Does anyone have any suggestions aside readjusting the valves back down to where I was (.002 / .003)?? Along with the main jet, I have changed the CDI and ignition coil - came with the 'kit' and put it on.. I was running it without the coil with the new CDI just last night to try an LED headlight out and no problems.. maybe I botched the valves...

Thanks in advance!