Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Magician 250cc rear sprocket

Anyone know what rear sprockets fit the Magician 250? Just got one and it seriously needs a taller gear for my riding style. Thanks--Tony

Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #2

What is it stock? I do know Magicians come equipped with a very street oriented setup, which is one of the reasons many members have actually not embraced the Magician as much as they have embraced the Hawk which comes stock with, if I remember correctly, a 15/50 setup, although other members who do own Magicians prefer the on-road gearing. Hawk sprockets will not work on the Magician, from what I understand.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

It's got a 15/45 setup, but unlike the Hawk it has a six-bolt rear sprocket. I'd like to go with a 40 or so rather then change the front sprocket. I've dug around on the web a bit but can't come up with the size.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

I am trying to accomplish the same thing

First, change out the front sprocket to a 17T
You will probably have to grind away a casting gate on the inside of the sprocket cover
This will make a huge difference, although it will still be buzzy at 50 mph

The rear sprocket, I believe is a clone of the Yamaha XG250

TAO BAO may have a 40T available, but I have not tried to go thru the ordering process

I don't think that anything smaller is possible

Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

Ok--ordered 17 tooth as you suggest Ascot500, but I'll keep up the search for the rear. I work with a couple of powersports wizards---maybe I'll take the rear off and get the measurements and see if they can find something. If so I'll post it. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Op I'm not sure what your riding style is but please keep in mind your magician is a 236 cc air cooled engine producing around 15 horsepower. Its just never going to be a fire breathing beast bent on human destruction.
From what I've watched on them a rear sprocket below 45 takes the engine out the meat of its powerband and will not allow them with any speed.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

Just like to be able to run 55 to 60 without the engine screaming if I need to--nothing more. Most riding I do is back roads anyway. I live very close to US 129, The Tail of The Dragon, and I ride it a lot, but the low gears are great for that.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

You should contact member Barnone. He lives out that way during the warmer months (I think he is still a snowbird in Florida right now where he spends the cold months). He seems to always be riding his toys at the Dragon (I know he lives about 45 minutes from there).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
Op I'm not sure what your riding style is but please keep in mind your magician is a 236 cc air cooled engine producing around 15 horsepower. Its just never going to be a fire breathing beast bent on human destruction.
From what I've watched on them a rear sprocket below 45 takes the engine out the meat of its powerband and will not allow them with any speed.
I think you need to factor the individual's weight too.I'm running 17-43 on my Hawk but weigh around 167 lbs.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #10

FWIW, on my previous china bike with a CG125 clone engine, I wound up using a 16T front and 34T rear
I am just over 200 lbs and acceleration on the street was never an issue (there are a lot of slow drivers around here)

I think that if you could find one, a 36T rear sprocket would do fine on the Magician

Old 04-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

Just out of curiousity what other mods are you running? It really felt like when i gutted the cat on my magician it made it alot easier to run at those higher rpms. A few supporting mods may make it to where you don't want to change the rear sprocket. I would definitely change the front out to a 17t though if you plan on spending alot of time at those speeds. Just to reduce chain wear.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #12

http://chinariders.net/showthread.ph...058#post243058
According to Japanese site https://www.webike.net/md/844/tab/parts/bm/1152/ 43T seems the smallest rear sprocket for XG250...

Old 04-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #13

Thanks guys for the help and links. Put about 40 miles on it this evening and after looking at it closer, it does look like there's no way to put a smaller rear sprocket on.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I think you need to factor the individual's weight too.I'm running 17-43 on my Hawk but weigh around 167 lbs.
Gotta factor that, and the weight of the bike, too. I have no idea what they weigh, but the Magician looks way lighter than the Hawk (or any other CB dual sport to be honest)

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfeather View Post
Thanks guys for the help and links. Put about 40 miles on it this evening and after looking at it closer, it does look like there's no way to put a smaller rear sprocket on.
Don't mess with the rear--45 is ideal for open highway IMO. You will want to try to get an ideal-for-the-street 17 front (again IMO); that should do the trick for your bike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Tags
magician 250cc