Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #16

I really don't think you have your facts straight.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #17

Dont punish China Lifan for some mistakes that AL might have made. I think they got things with Bruce sorted. Lifan builds some decent bikes and despite my statements to the contrary, time has shown me that I'll likely buy from them again when I want another dependable ride. Unless of course, prices continue to go up in which case my ride may be worth more used than it was new in a couple of years. anyway..that is unlikely but just wishful thinking. hehe.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
Unless of course, prices continue to go up in which case my ride may be worth more used than it was new in a couple of years. anyway..that is unlikely but just wishful thinking. hehe.
I think mine already is.

BUT I am confused what is happening with the suit? Is the importer/distributer suing Lifan corp. in China? HOW and for what?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #19

I'm old, I'm slow, and in a lot of cases, I'm just plain stupid, but this whole thing has my head spinning.

Let me see if I can sort it out:

1. There is a company in China named Lifan.

2. Lifan exports to anyone with whom they can strike a deal.

3. There is a company in the U.S. named American Lifan, an importer.

4. There are other American companies (Hooper, et al) who also import Lifan.

If the above assumptions are correct, then isn't it a lot like First Baptist Church Of Chicago saying that if you aren't a member of their church, then you can't be a Baptist ?

I'm not trying to troll the thread, the above is a sincere attempt to clarify the situation in order to understand it myself, as I am presently attempting to purchase a Lifan product.

Luke, 11: 21

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
I'm old, I'm slow, and in a lot of cases, I'm just plain stupid, but this whole thing has my head spinning.

Let me see if I can sort it out:

1. There is a company in China named Lifan.

2. Lifan exports to anyone with whom they can strike a deal.

3. There is a company in the U.S. named American Lifan, an importer.

4. There are other American companies (Hooper, et al) who also import Lifan.

If the above assumptions are correct, then isn't it a lot like First Baptist Church Of Chicago saying that if you aren't a member of their church, then you can't be a Baptist ?

I'm not trying to troll the thread, the above is a sincere attempt to clarify the situation in order to understand it myself, as I am presently attempting to purchase a Lifan product.
Thats the very same way I see it. The whole thing ended up steering me away from the Lifan and I bought a different.

As a side note I get a kick out of hearing American Lifan claim that they probally built most of the other brands of bikes too, but knowingly put inferior parts on them

Old 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #21

American Lifan is owned (at least in part, from what I understand), by Lifan in China... American Lifan is the only company allowed to use the Lifan trademark in the USA from what I understand. This lawsuit was filed by Hooper, not A.L. from what I understand, so this is not A.L. trying to screw them over, it appears to be the opposite. As far as I understand other importers were also illegally using American Lifan's EPA certificates.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
Thats the way it was but now it looks like they woked out a deal where Hooper can sell the Lifan's so long as their branded as "Skygo"

Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #23

Wow how transparent has this whole thing been?Is there any that thought that Lifan didn't try to milk both sides of the cow?

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250

Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
American Lifan is owned (at least in part, from what I understand), by Lifan in China... American Lifan is the only company allowed to use the Lifan trademark in the USA from what I understand. This lawsuit was filed by Hooper, not A.L. from what I understand, so this is not A.L. trying to screw them over, it appears to be the opposite. As far as I understand other importers were also illegally using American Lifan's EPA certificates.
I believe the issue is, Lifan made a deal with Hooper Imports to sell their bikes many years ago and last year American Lifan was given go from parent company Lifan to be the sole seller of "Lifan" bikes in the USA and told Larry he had to attach Skygo stickers to his Lifan bikes. American Lifan then went on a smear campaign against all other companies that claimed to be selling genuine Lifan bikes, which included Hooper Imports and Larry was not aware of this fact until I emailed him about it. Larry felt he was $crewed by Lifan and I belive brought suit against AL for their smear tactics against his company. (Larry did not tell me any of this, I'm just figuring this to be what is up from what I've read and heard)....

Hope this helps to clear stuff up.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #25

Just to play devil's adovcate and raise my post count....

Is this really something that has to go to court? I mean, okay, I would be some cheezed if someone were talking trash about my product, but it's a sad fact of life.

Isn't this whole case something that could have been handled with a sit down, a couple of packs of John Player's finest, and a bottle of Lemon Hart?

Also, what jurasdiction (sp?) does an American court expect to hold over a Chinese National Company?

Seriously though, I suspect the only people who are going to make any money on this one will be the lawyers. I could have been better handled mano a mano.

--Vince

Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #26

If I can get the bike I want, I'm just "Jimmy-Crack-Corn" on whatever the he77 anybody wants to call it -- They can call it a Constipated Bull or a Shagnasty Prayer Book, I mean really, who the he77 cares ? ? ?

Luke, 11: 21

Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #27

"Shagnasty Prayer Book?" That's freakin' awesome! Give yourself, 122 points for that one!

--Vince

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Just to play devil's adovcate and raise my post count....

Also, what jurasdiction (sp?) does an American court expect to hold over a Chinese National Company?
--Vince
Hooper's suit is against American Lifan, not Lifan in China and American Lifan IS an American company.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
actually Hoopers suit included American Lifan Industry Inc, Chongqing Lifan Industry (Group) Co Ltd and Bob Yang.Not sure who Bob Lang is.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf119l
actually Hoopers suit included American Lifan Industry Inc, Chongqing Lifan Industry (Group) Co Ltd and Bob Yang.Not sure who Bob Lang is.
Bob Lang is the head man in China.

Almon