Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #1

Race ready???

With the arrival of bikes like the Roketa DB-36A, a perimeter framed 250cc, do ya'll think the Chinese have a weapon for eastern style woods racing? Here in Kentucky we have MX and Hare Scrambles. From the looks of the bike I don't think they have an MX competitive bike but the woods are a different beast. I also don't think these bikes would have the shear hp to run Baja. But geared for low end grunt to get thru the sticky stuff I'm thinkin I could be on to something. Also consider that I am far from a Pro class rider and would be perpetually be stuck in the beginner class were it not for the generosity of the organizers and my age.

If they could be made to work these bikes could open woods racing to a whole bunch of folks.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
"F"

Old 12-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #2

I've not seen one of these bikes in person, but I think they would be a little heavy for competition -- and remember in woods racing they will be running against 250 2 strokes, the weapon of choice for many -- lighter, cheaper/easier to maintain, etc. (woods racing is still true displacement)

Also, they will need fully adjustable suspension and full size tires before being considered by harescramble enthusiasts. Still nothing would be stopping you from racing it if you wanted to.

My little 150 Hensim is a blast in the woods, and I could race it if I wanted... however I could not win on it, but I would not be last -- that's mostly because of the rider and not really the bike though. Personally I think these bikes are excellent choices for liesure woods riding. Don't get me wrong - I just hammered my Hensim pretty much non-stop for over 3 hours in the woods yesterday... and I mean hard... so it (at least so far) seems to be able to take the abuse.

I've seen people race XR200's before, so I guess there's nothing preventing you from racing one of these -- I just think time is better spent in non-competetive riding on them... you could race; you'll just be working harder than those on better adapted bikes.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #3

If I can get a little sponsorship lined up a might have to try one in the KORHS races. Have you looked at their series? Here's the link:

http://www.kyharescramble.com/

Maybe I'll see ya there!

Old 12-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #4

I wouldn't concern yourself with sponsorship - it's not a huge deal... many are just discounts on products anyway. Also, try one race before commiting to the series.

If you've never raced before then make sure you can go ride hard for at least 2 hours... if you can't then you will not enjoy yourself. People quit in every race I've ever been to. Sometimes due to mechanical problems, others just because it's more than they thought they were getting into.

I've trophied in MX and Harescrambles -- they are different breeds, personally I think HS are better tests of riders ability to adjust quicky and to total rider conditioning.

Go enjoy yourself first -- racing is not important... truly it isn't. I've been there, and I'm telling you the best times are just out on fun rides with friends.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #5

If I commit to the hare scrambles series I'll have come full circle. I started out racing enduros and cross country. Then moved to roadracing, then to a formula ford, then back to endurance roadracing. Lately I've been doing long distance road rallies, Iron Butt sorts of rides. Now I'm dabbeling in off-road again. Started doind some long dual sport rides on a KLR 6-fiddy. Alaska and the Trans America Trail are both still on the to-do list. There's just something about testing yourself against others that appeals to me.

Too bad I stunk at all those things I've done. i've always been a recreational racer and always will.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrit
There's just something about testing yourself against others that appeals to me.
I hear ya... but no matter how good or bad you are, there's always someone out there better and worse. Maybe just not at that event on that day.

It sounds like you've got enough experience to make a go at it whatever you decide to do. Race or not, it's always fun riding in the woods.

Wish I still had my KLR 6-fiddy... but I just can't let myself ride on the road anymore - so it's best that it's gone.
'02 Kawasaki KX125