Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-A, rehab exhaust question

Hello all,
In the continuing rehabilitation of the Zongshen I realize I can't start the motor again until I have an exhaust on it. The bike came with a piece of exhaust but as I transition my attention to the front of the bike I might have a question.

The picture attached shows the parts that came off the bike. It was all loosened already and kind of dangling there. I think of this set of parts I am only missing an exhaust gasket. However, as you can see in the picture the collar with the 2 bolt holes is larger than the neck of the pipe and slips off. Isn't the collar with the bolt holes NOT supposed to slip off the pipe and that's how it is held on? Or am I waaay off? I did follow the simple diagram in the CG125 manual but no joy. I think I laid the parts out like the diagram if that helps at all.

Thanks for any advice here. And by the way I am hunting the wires for the starter out of the harness to test that once the exhaust is ironed out.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0685a.jpg (80.9 KB, 275 views)

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

study the picture on this link http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_se...85&fveh=131710

Old 07-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

Then I have to be visually missing something. I guess I am not keying in on how the pipe has anything snugging it to the exhaust port.

Thanks for the different diagram, at least it's the same as the older one I have so that's a plus. I'm headed back out there to take another shot at it.

And if I am good to that point am guessing I am now just looking to purchase a replacement gasket, mid-pipe and muffler. Suggestions on what and from where? I was poking around and spotted some full sets so far but I haven't gone farther yet.

I'll be back in a bit either relieved or even more daunted.
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #4

the split collars go around the pipe . once you see it you will understand . I could not find a better picture

Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Ok whew I got it. The split collars came in the pile of "extra" parts for the bike, I had no idea how they went in there and I took the diagram too literally putting them ahead of the pipe initially.

And now the question is what do I really need? This is not a street bike and can be blappy and loud although some sound dampening there would be better than just an open pipe to other family members ears (read as my wife).

I'm at a quandary of looking for separate pieces or buying a set. Would it be easier, cheaper, easier to fit to the bike etc?

Thanks a ton aaagain, sometimes I just have to ask for it to work out.
Jim

Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

I am not sure what would be a direct fit other than original style , my muffler was a ebay purchase that had to be cut and welded. maybe others will have some ideas.

Last edited by recracer; 07-18-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

I found this as a set. Am I warm? I went searching for GY200 and found this one which I think is a UK store.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EX106001L.jpg (26.9 KB, 251 views)

Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
I found this as a set. Am I warm? I went searching for GY200 and found this one which I think is a UK store.

Jim
It does look like the original equipment exhaust . The OE exhaust is heavy and maybe a bit restricted ,but it is pretty quiet .

Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #9

How much do you want to spend?

Since you can weld, you could make most anything work. Also, your header has the dreaded catalytic converter in it, and you could scribe a reference line across the length, cut it open, gut it and weld it back up. You'd need to remove all of the rust first.

I have a Lifan muffler that needs a home. I'm sure we could work out a good deal.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #10

given what you have, you may have good luck making your own exhaust, and adding in a used aftermarket silencer... my exhaust is stock from the header pipe to the back of the silencer, then i put an FMF powercore2 silencer on... it noticably woke up the engine, and it keeps it quiet enough to not piss off the family....too much...LOL

my write up...which i never really got all the pics for... http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12698

Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #11

I was looking to spend a couple hundred just to get it going if that's what it took but it seems I can get away cheaper than that if I fabricate some things and of course learn more about what hacks I can get away with. And a good deal on a muffler sounds good too if all I have to make is the mid-pipe.

I would be 100% willing to entertain welding my own too, I have been looking for an excuse to get a pipe bending set to boot. I would need help to know what kind of steel and thicknesses would be best and yeah I would rip into it with gusto. I can gut that sausage piece too if that will be good. And while I'm at it I can fish that heat shield broken bolt out of it too.

Yah quieter with less noise is prolly the way to be thinking. I don't suppose I'm hunting top end speed performance, but I would like low end power for the hills around here which is the whole reason for this bike-so I don't have to walk 4 miles daily up and down hills. (This power vs speed question I have not started researching yet but know it also has to do with gearing.)

I'm headed out to work on one of our trucks that's down. I'll get to work on the bike later today maybe with any luck.

Thanks!
Jim

PS I also have a little chinese metal lathe if that helps me anywhere (like just trimming out an exhaust gasket (but that's another topic totally about things you can get away with))

Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

I suggest you work with Weldangrind. He will tell you how to eliminate the catalytic converter, and can fix you up with a muffler.

Gaining more torque for climbing hills is simply a matter of choosing the correct sprocket combination. However, if your bike is typical, I am betting your current sprocket combination is ideally suited for climbing hills.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #13

Yup yup I'm willing to take direction and have no fear setting up camp where wise men fear to tread.

Speaking of sprockets, I've swung around to the back of the bike and had scheduled a rear wheel removal/brake inspection/Shock removal and inspection and general cleaning back there. Heh and also found 2 of 4 missing nuts on the sprocket in addition to the broken spoke on the back wheel. Awesome!

One of the few tools I do not have is a chain breaker. Is one better than the other? Is the $15 one at Harbor Fr__ ok for me and my rarely used purposes? Are there better, or easier to use styles?

Here is the Harbor F link: here (<--is posting links ok here? and/or using the Harbor Freight name outloud)

So many questions. I hope you're having as much fun watching this go on as I am doing it.

I'll be back!
Jim

Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #14

You have the China Riders spirit. Yes, you can mention Harbor Freight, or any other company, and we welcome everyone to post links.

I own the Harbor Freight Heavy Duty Chain Breaker; it does an excellent job, and I highly recommend it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #15

This forum is full of very knowlegible people when I first got my bike it was in rough shape then just started asking questions on here. Now its all legal inspected registered and insured like they say there's no such thing as a dumb question no matter how small it may be

Tags
exhaust, hs163fml