Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #1

New guy from Wisconsin

Hello everyone!

So we just got our first China bike, a 52cc two stroke Mototec Warrior that our six year old rides. He really loves it, so much so that my wife wants to get into off-road riding, and eventually street riding. I have riding over 20 years, my first bike was a 1982 Yamaha Virago 250, and I currently ride a 2004 HD XLR1200, which I bought new in the fall of 2003. So my wife is interested in the semi-auto Icebear/SYX Roost 125, as she would be new to riding, and shifting (and most importantly , to her, because it is available in pink), so she wants to perfect her skills and riding confidence off-road before she rides on the street. I am interested in the Hawks/TBR7s as an errand running bike, as we live several miles out of town, and short highway trips are bad on the truck, and as an off-road bike to ride with the family. The nearest dealership to us for these bikes is Q9 Powersports, about a two hour drive for us. Do any of you think it would be worthwhile for us to do a road trip there and check out the bikes, or is Amazon a better way to go? Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #2

Oh no. Now we are even getting members from the crypt! Welcome to the forum Mr. Zombie dead guy!

That Motomec Warrior is a cool bike. Nice! That is an excellent way to learn. And your wife is smart starting on a dirt bike to learn to ride. More traction, easy maneuverability, and most importantly, she can learn how to slide when traction is too weak for speed or the turn.

But the ice bear is probably too small for your wife. There are taller 125s with auto transmissions. Maybe a member here can suggest something oriented to adult dimensions (even small adults!).

Old 03-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #3

Thanks! We weren’t sure about the Roost, as some places say it’s an adult bike, some say it’s a youth bike, and some say it’s a kids bike. Also, it’s listed with a rider weight capacity of 220 lbs to add to the confusion. So if anyone knows of a semiautomatic 125 that fits a slightly taller than average woman, please throw out some suggestions! Thank you!

Old 03-04-2023, 04:02 PM   #4

I found a 125cc semi-automatic 4-speed bike with 17" front, 14" front tires with about 30" seat height. It's an XPro Hawk 125 from PowersportsMax for just under $700.

Your 6 year old can take it over when Mom graduates!

There are other bikes, I am sure. But auto and semi-auto are harder to find in adult dirt bikes.

Old 03-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I found a 125cc semi-automatic 4-speed bike with 17" front, 14" front tires with about 30" seat height. It's an XPro Hawk 125 from PowersportsMax for just under $700.

There are other bikes, I am sure. But auto and semi-auto are harder to find in adult dirt bikes.
Thanks for the bike recommendation! I do believe that our little guy will need an intermediate sized bike after he outgrows his Warrior. That bike is pretty tiny.

Old 03-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #6

Welcome from an Eau Claire & Kenosha counties expat.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:

How was your shipping experience from PowesportsMax? Did they ship R&L? Did they smash or damage your bike? Thanks!

Old 03-04-2023, 08:01 PM   #8

I had crate damage, but not any actual damage to the bike. R&L is PSM shipper of choice. I had one bike show up in a nearly perfect crate, and another crate abused like the driver/warehouse worker might have something against Chinese products.

The irony is that his/her car probably has 20% parts from China (possibly upwards of 90% depending on the brand), especially if there have been repairs. His kitchen is filled with Chinese appliances. His flatscreens are Chinese (television, laptop), and his CELL PHONE is made in China

You gotta wonder about China haters. Sure, the government is authoritarian and all up in their "business"

But most Chinese products are damned high quality. These cheap dirt bikes are a great bargain, but one must take a hand in the build and take responsibility for build and maintenance. PSM has been VERY forthcoming when I have encountered component fails. A couple of photos, and they send a new part. I had a cracked front wheel hub on the axel seal, and they sent me a new wheel (complete with spacer/bearings/new seals). Wow.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
I had crate damage, but not any actual damage to the bike. R&L is PSM shipper of choice. I had one bike show up in a nearly perfect crate, and another crate abused like the driver/warehouse worker might have something against Chinese products.

The irony is that his/her car probably has 20% parts from China (possibly upwards of 90% depending on the brand), especially if there have been repairs. His kitchen is filled with Chinese appliances. His flatscreens are Chinese (television, laptop), and his CELL PHONE is made in China

You gotta wonder about China haters. Sure, the government is authoritarian and all up in their "business"

But most Chinese products are damned high quality. These cheap dirt bikes are a great bargain, but one must take a hand in the build and take responsibility for build and maintenance. PSM has been VERY forthcoming when I have encountered component fails. A couple of photos, and they send a new part. I had a cracked front wheel hub on the axel seal, and they sent me a new wheel (complete with spacer/bearings/new seals). Wow.

That sounds like really good customer service! I have read enough stories about R&L smashing up Chinese bikes that I feel hesitant to get one from any place that uses them for shipping. I’m glad it worked out for you!

Old 03-04-2023, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy View Post
That sounds like really good customer service! I have read enough stories about R&L smashing up Chinese bikes that I feel hesitant to get one from any place that uses them for shipping. I’m glad it worked out for you!
If you think you can find a carrier that doesn't abuse Chinese crate bikes, I would like to know which carrier you find. I am working on a shipment from China for ~$4500, and the only concern I have is US shippers. I have FULL confidence in the manufacturer. It is pretty sad. I guess the televisions and computers are easier to package securely, harder to abuse. Sad.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
How was your shipping experience from PowesportsMax? Did they ship R&L? Did they smash or damage your bike? Thanks!
Hey, fellow wisconsinite here. Ive ordered three bikes over the years. Two from powersportsmax and one from amazon. They all shipped R&L and the MSO for two came from powersportsmax.(One was an off road only bike) My latest was a 21 hawk. It came with a hole in the tank were something smashed it. luckily it was the only damage and customer service was able to send me a new tank. The other two were spotless.
2005 Yamaha Roadstar
2021 Hawk 250

Old 03-06-2023, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes.1.14 View Post
Hey, fellow wisconsinite here. Ive ordered three bikes over the years. Two from powersportsmax and one from amazon. They all shipped R&L and the MSO for two came from powersportsmax.(One was an off road only bike) My latest was a 21 hawk. It came with a hole in the tank were something smashed it. luckily it was the only damage and customer service was able to send me a new tank. The other two were spotless.
Which bikes did you get for road use and how did d registration/titles/plates go at the DMV? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2023, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Which bikes did you get for road use and how did d registration/titles/plates go at the DMV? Thanks!
2016 shark and 2021 hawk 250. Had no issue with registration. DMV took the MSO and gave me my plates and title. no inspection or anything. The hawk was still in the crate
2005 Yamaha Roadstar
2021 Hawk 250

Old 03-09-2023, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes.1.14 View Post
2016 shark and 2021 hawk 250. Had no issue with registration. DMV took the MSO and gave me my plates and title. no inspection or anything. The hawk was still in the crate
Thank you. Do you have the regular Hawk 250, or the “DOT-approved “ Hawk 250 DLX EFI?

Old 03-10-2023, 06:48 PM   #15

Family is in Appleton! I had a great experience with Powersportmax. Shipping and communications were perfect!

Tags
125, hawk 250, mototec, syx, warrior