Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2022, 09:49 PM   #1

GPX vs Orion

So I am looking at both GPX and Orion, and I do wonder does GPX have that much better components to justify it's price? I am willing to spend $4000

Old 10-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #2

Do you mean KPX?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 10-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #3

I don't have any direct experience with the GPX bikes but they are made with many shared components in the same factories. Obviously, GPX has many more models and appears to be better funded to support parts/dealer network etc..etc...

If you are comparing GPX FSE250e to the Orion RXB250 the differences are:

#1. Frame size/geometry are slightly different. I think the RXB is a more compact chassis, with a shorter wheelbase. Orion claims the steel quality is better but I don't know the details on what GPX is speced with.

#2. The RXB250 is fuel injected, the GPX has a carb.

#3. The suspension is different. They are both Chinese copies of other brands from an earlier age but I think GPX probably has better forks if you are the type of rider who can take advantage of it. Joe Henner offers suspension tuning for both.

#4. The engine is the same on both. Both use the Zongshen CB250-F with a counterbalanced 6-speed.

I'd say they are probably about equal in build quality. The difference is in how they are supported, and parts availability and GPX is using a dealer network as well as selling direct. They have many more models so you might find a better fit in their model range.

I bought the Orion on pre-order and have yet to get my bike so availability is another issue as Orion is frequently without product to sell. GPX as I said, appears to be better funded but they went through many supply disruptions as everyone else did.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

One other difference is that the GPX is offroad "dirt bike" only.
RBX comes with lights and a horn, presumably an MCO denoting "motorcycle".

GPX has a price premium as well. $4600 depending on source. My Templar X came in at $1800, selling now for $1900. That is less than half of the price of a GPX. I know it has better fit and finish, but I don't see the value in the GPX justifying that additional $2800.

Also, I have always wondered why the TSE 250R costs ~$1100 more than the FSE. It does have liquid jacket and a radiator, but the engine has no valve train in the head.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
One other difference is that the GPX is offroad "dirt bike" only.
RBX comes with lights and a horn, presumably an MCO denoting "motorcycle".

GPX has a price premium as well. $4600 depending on source. My Templar X came in at $1800, selling now for $1900. That is less than half of the price of a GPX. I know it has better fit and finish, but I don't see the value in the GPX justifying that additional $2800.

Also, I have always wondered why the TSE 250R costs ~$1100 more than the FSE. It does have liquid jacket and a radiator, but the engine has no valve train in the head.
My understanding is that the GPX is and can be road ready and legal in the state of MO.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #6

Just get the Templar X and pocket $2k

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 10-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #7

Maybe you are referring to the FSE 250S ($3700 before freight). It has lights/turn signals, is a little brother to the full sized enduro GPX FSE250e (about 36" seat height). Seat height is slightly lower on the 250S, at 34 inches. But it comes with smaller wheels, 16" rear 19" front.

Templar X is also enduro scaled with 21" front, 18" rear, like the FSE 250. Just way less expensive.

If you want a 32" or lower seat height, and you want the bike to show up ready to ride, or minimal assembly, check out SSC in Liberty MO (dealership there has 'em.) Lots of used dual sports out there too.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdano2022 View Post
My understanding is that the GPX is and can be road ready and legal in the state of MO.
Have you settled on a bike yet?

Old 10-13-2022, 09:42 AM   #9

I bought the Orion but I wouldn't cast any shade on some who decided to go with GPX. By all accounts, you get an excellent support network and you have many more choices for the right bike for your needs.

People often get too caught up on the initial price (me included). If you are not into wrenching I'd say buying something from a local dealer is a REALLY good idea and just skip the Internet-based options.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Have you settled on a bike yet?
No at this point I think I am going with the New Orion and having the suspension done by Joe Henner.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdano2022 View Post
No at this point I think I am going with the New Orion and having the suspension done by Joe Henner.
That RXB 250L looks great! It is a little pricey for me, and I prefer a carburetor on a single cylinder bike, but it does arrive assembled and tested. Can Joe Henner lower the bike?

You won't be able to plate that bike in MO. It does not have lights. Maybe you can add lights and get State police to inspect and certify for on-road, get the title changed from "dirt bike" to motorcycle. They have an inspection station up in St. Joseph where they do stuff like that. I had to have an impounded vehicle inspected there after I bought it in an auction. 6 week back log, but my son has a nice car after all of that!

Old 01-01-2023, 12:44 AM   #12

an experienced rider in my club has a gpx. no complaints. it can take a beating...as good as or comparable with ktm parts quality at some point in the company's history, i was told!

Old 01-03-2023, 08:58 PM   #13

no first hand experience of owning a GPX but its a Thai brand, although they obiously source many parts from China...

They have a pretty good rep in Thailand.

https://gpxthailand.com/en/about-us-2/

Old 01-04-2023, 07:10 PM   #14

He's referring to the American GPX, not sure - though I doubt - they're related. See below: https://gpxmoto.com/

Old 01-04-2023, 09:38 PM   #15

I am pretty sure that Dan bought a Lifan KPX 250 from a dealership near or in St. Louis a couple of months ago.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31782