Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #3121

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
The clearance issue seems to be something that all bikes have to contend with to various extents.
I noticed the barkbusters on my husband's bike are a bit nicked up where they hit the aftermarket windshield brace - basically there is no extra room at all to get a full turn of the handlebars.

Guess I'll sit tight while you experiment and hope that when my bike gets here I'm less prone to dropping it. *sigh* all parts of learning it seems.

Are you acquiring new grips as well?
The windshield of the RX3 has large cutouts to accommodate the full-lock position of the handlebars, so I am optimistic.

The stock handgrips are very thick, which I prefer. I like them a lot. Therefore, I haven't decided if I am going to get new grips.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #3122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The stock handgrips are very thick, which I prefer. I like them a lot. Therefore, I haven't decided if I am going to get new grips.
Based on that, I'm guessing it means you can reuse the grips, or you have high confidence in being able to do so with the swapped out bars - was wondering if there is a "standard" for the taper on bar center to bar end so that components fit properly on aftermarket bars.

hopefully that made sense!

Old 04-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #3123

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Based on that, I'm guessing it means you can reuse the grips, or you have high confidence in being able to do so with the swapped out bars - was wondering if there is a "standard" for the taper on bar center to bar end so that components fit properly on aftermarket bars.

hopefully that made sense!
Yes, using an air compressor, it should be easy to remove the stock grips, and install them on new handlebars. All handlebars are standardized with 7/8-inch diameter at the ends. Therefore, all levers, switchgear, et cetera, can be transferred from any set of handlebars to another set of handlebars.

Big bar handlebars (1-1/8 inch) are thicker at the center, for added strength. However, they taper to the standardized, 7/8-inch diameter at the ends.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #3124

Just an FYI, was just talking to Ryan at CSC, he mentioned they were able to install a pair of Barkbusters wraparounds (I'm presuming he was talking the brand, not the generic styling of hand protectors) - but he indicated they had to customize the clamp hardware - the stock clamps were too long and were resulting in hitting the windshield *sigh*

Old 04-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #3125

Zs177mm

Quote:
Yes.

Yes.

Yes, every ZS177MM/NC250 engine has 2 intake valves, and 2 exhaust valves.
Thanks Spud.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #3126

So with the limited miles you have put on the bike...
hows the vibration if any..... handle bars/foot pegs..
looks as if thats something i have to start concidering
now... As I now have carpal tunnel my XT660 gives my
right hand a real hard time..goes numbe in about
30mins of riding at 100kmph... 4000rpm is a real
bad vibration zone on the XT...
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #3127

Quote:
Yes, using an air compressor, it should be easy to remove the stock grips, and install them on new handlebars. All handlebars are standardized with 7/8-inch diameter at the ends. Therefore, all levers, switchgear, et cetera, can be transferred from any set of handlebars to another set of handlebars.

Big bar handlebars (1-1/8 inch) are thicker at the center, for added strength. However, they taper to the standardized, 7/8-inch diameter at the ends.
Some big cruisers and tourers have 1-inch handlebars under the controls. Pretty much everything else in the world is 7/8.

Are the stock bars aluminum or steel? If steel, with only a 1/2 inch hole, they would be very heavy. Tough as a tank, but way heavy. If there is that much material there I'll just tap some threads and drill the guards to match. Simple solution.

If anyone is installing grip heaters, wrap the left bar with friction tape to the approximate diameter of the throttle tube on the right. Then install the heater and a right side throttle diameter handgrip on the left. Otherwise your handlebars will suck heat so hast your left hand can be cold and your right hand sweating. I know, that means buying 2 sets of grips, but you can befriend a 4-wheeler person with a gift of the two smaller grips because 4-wheelers don't have throttle tubes.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #3128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Maybe someone who knows Zongshen motors can school me here;
The RX3's we're getting have the Fuel Injected ZS177MM water cooled, 4 valve engine;

- Are all ZS 177MM engines basically the same?
- Is the ZS177MM also called the NC250?
- Do all ZS177MM water cooled engine made for all other applications have 4 valves or are some 2 valve engines? (I know we aren't getting 2 valve engines in our new bikes, so don't reply saying anything to that effect)

Thanks
Evan
I know Spud answered 'yes' to your questions, and there are a few bikes that have had this engine for a few years now. Here in the US, SSR Motorsports have been using the same engine for a few years now in their 250cc motocross bike http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...ke/sr250s.html

The company Asiawing is the OEM for SSR's bike which is also sold into other countries under various brands. http://asiawing.com/english/index.asp

One of those obscure (at least for us) European manufacturers uses the same engine, but apparently manufactures their own bike. Someone can remind me what the brand is...

The reason I mention this is that this engine has been sorted out for a little while now, so it is not 'untested'

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #3129

new zong rx3

Let me just say after a day of the real maiden voyage, i like the bike alot ,having the the same issue finding nuetral, but not a huge deal,,,,,but man if it was a 450cc ,i would be totally s.mitten!!!If zongshen /csc comes out with a 450 , Im buying it. i will look forward to some performance upgrades to this platform,cause i just really like the fit and nimbleness,and handling!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #3130

handguards

i hope someone finds a set that works on the stock bars.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
i hope someone finds a set that works on the stock bars.
honestly, me too

Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #3132

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
You do know you will have to road trip to Yuma one of these weeks before it gets too hot...
All I need is an invitation and I'll clear my hectic calendar

I'm heading to Springfield, MO for a Spyder get together for the next couple of weeks, but I'm free after that.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 04-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #3133

Quote:
having the the same issue finding nuetral, but not a huge deal,,,,,

AZrider George mentioned fixing his issue on another forum by adjusting the clutch

http://cyclone-rx3.com/forum/viewtop...21e0bc7b560079

Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Were there any comments or questions from spectators?
Although I was parked between a couple of Adv bikes, I was lost in a sea of Harleys. I did notice several folks taking a very close look, but I like to look at other bikes when I'm at this get together, so didn't get the chance to speak to anybody.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #3135

Quote:
Let me just say after a day of the real maiden voyage, i like the bike alot ,having the the same issue finding nuetral, but not a huge deal,,,,,but man if it was a 450cc ,i would be totally s.mitten!!!If zongshen /csc comes out with a 450 , Im buying it. i will look forward to some performance upgrades to this platform,cause i just really like the fit and nimbleness,and handling!
There is a 300cc bore kit available for under $200. I'm tempted.