Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2023, 12:04 AM   #1

17,000 miles on an SSR Buccaneer 250i

So, overall I'm pleased with the bike. However, it should be noted that the frame did break on me just outside of the warranty.... but SSR replaced it on their dime. The rider/passenger subframe does not have a cross member, and a heavy guy and/or luggage strapped to the back eventually caused enough metal fatigue to break the frame. 2018 models overseas had an extra support brace that was missing on the 2017. Unfortunately we only got the 2017.

Someone put together some bolt-on support braces on advrider.com, made out of stainless steel boat railing parts and clamps. Looks pretty beefy:

So the biggest problem I had with the bike is now solvable for around approx $150. Less if you just weld a tube in. (More of an option for the black frame, mine had a red frame and it's powder-coat not paint. Hard to match and it's a very exposed location).

I geared mine down and it has survived running AT redline on the highway for 3 hours at a time when I ride to Boone, and then up and up and up the mountain, throttle pegged. 17k miles and no blow-ups or even leaks.

I replaced the clutch early on because I'm a big heavy guy and the stock clutch springs were made for a light easy clutch, not to haul around my fat arse. Since was in there to replace the springs a quality kevlar clutch was only a hundred bucks, so I replaced it too. But if you're frugal, the stock clutch still was within spec and stiffer EBC springs is probably all it needs.

At 17k miles though, the bike has some transmission issues. It pops out of third gear into fourth, or from fourth gear into fifth. It doesn't do it all the time, but it is getting worse. I am beating on the bike pretty hard, treating every stoplight like a drag tree, and I put bigger wheels and tires on it.... but I've heard of other people with transmission problems similar to mine with this bike.

Fortunately it can be fixed, all the internal transmission parts are identical to an XV250 Virago, and you can find good used parts pretty cheaply on eBay... but that's a lot of DIY work that I shouldn't have to do at 17,000 miles.

It still runs strong, but the transmission issues are disconcerting and slowly getting worse.

Also, just go ahead and throw out all four stock turn signals and replace them with aftermarket. You'll have a lot less frustration in the long run. And buy a new speedometer and put it on before you put any miles on the bike. The original speedo's tach needle separates from the spindle at about 1000 miles. The new one is good for forever.

Overall I like the bike and it was worth the $3203 I paid for it, but I'd rather the transmission was more robust. I intend on rebuilding it eventually, but for now it just keeps starting and running so I'm not too anxious to tear it apart.

If you're really concerned, low mileage XV250 motors are pretty cheap on eBay and they swap right in. I could do that... that's a viable option as well. I kinda like tinkering though so I'll probably rebuild the motor I've got with XV250 transmission internals.

So... yeah, good and bad. I like the bike itself, I like the ride, the suspension, even the power. And it looks awesome. It's not perfect by any stretch, and in 2023 it's not acceptable quality... but for a 2017 China bike I think it's pretty decent. I mean, it's never once stranded me, and never balked at my outright abuse of the poor little thing. It just keeps going. With the occasional KLUNK from the tranny as it slips into a higher gear without my asking it to.

Charles.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:31 AM   #2

The only thing that can help you avoid transmission malfunctions at your weight is ceramizer added to the oil I this year when changing the oil after winter will use ceramizer has very good reviews ot jeep drivers butchering cars in some swamps.

Old 02-06-2023, 02:30 PM   #3

Bull. That stuff is snake oil. Properly hardened gears would prevent the gear dogs from rounding. Undercutting would also solve that problem. Both require the engine to come apart. When I rebuild the motor it will get real Yamaha gears and shift forks to replace the Lifan parts and then I shouldn't have any problems again.

Charles.