Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2022, 02:58 AM   #1

2022-1/2 Templar X 6sp review

1st post and all that...

Happy to have found the forum. Spent a couple months lurking prior to joining while researching chondas.

Anyway, Settled on the newest version of the Templar-X for use on rural Iowa gravel. I ordered the bike from PowerSportsMax.com
Shipping was quicker than expected, however, R+L carriers made an appointment to deliver on 8/22 but actually delivered on 8/19 when I was out of state for work. The spouse didn't know what to look for and accepted delivery. Not happy about that and if I would have been home I would have refused delivery.

I now believe that what I actually received may have been somebody else's rejected delivery. It arrived in a beaten up cardboard box and bottom of crate bent up. It was NOT shrink wrapped, much of the internal packaging was intact but very beat up. It had no protective film on any of the decals.

Damage in no particular order:

Both sides of the outer cardboard and inner shipping cage had damage.
Where the handle bar and front caliper was packed was bashed in. The front brake lever was bent, and master cylinder gouged. Starter button switch sticks engaged. The front caliper was scuffed and the rear brake foot lever was bent into the engine case.
The exhaust header pipe bracket has a broken weld.
The forks had not been fastened securely enough and both fork tubes have dings and gouges in them. Missing front axle pinch bolts.
On the other side of the bike/cage, the front wheel had been pushed/shifted into the rear turn signal stalk causing it to split.
The rear wheel rim had a significant gouge along the rim edge and into the tire. The handlebar pad cover is missing velcro and can't be attached.

Once I completed assembly and started break in I found that the rear brake switch is bad and not activating the brake light and the Hi/low beam wires were reversed. Additionally, the owners manual is missing information for this new model and does not provide the wiring diagram that includes the lighting system.

I had no problems with first start up other than the usual very lean settings. I pulled the carb without removing any body/seat/tank/exhaust (easy once you figure out how). Had to do the same thing as Thumper to get the bowl off. Shimmed needle, changed Main jet from 120 to 125 and Idle jet from 40 to 42 for now. Pulled the plug off the mixture screw and discovered it was around 1-1/4 turns out, currently set at 3 turns out. Further uncorking steps are to come.

Other issues found so far include excessive chain stretch at around 50 miles, adjusted and now needs it again at 100 miles. Adjustment slot almost used up and will have to remove links. Chain upgrade will be ordered. LED "Headlight" is laughably useless. Hi/low beam doesn't matter, my sons moped has a better headlight The provided LED bulb is a "drop in" H4 type that may be fine in a different application but it greatly under performs with the provided housing/lens/reflector. I already have an upgrade planned for the headlight.

I have contacted powersports max with these issues and photos and have heard exactly crickets since. Will try to add some more photos later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packing1.jpg (161.7 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg packing4.jpg (165.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg packing12.jpg (218.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg packing 13.jpg (216.8 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by IA_Grvlrnr; 09-11-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:04 AM   #2

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packing2.jpg (198.0 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg packing5.jpg (150.1 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg packing6.jpg (173.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg packing7.jpg (326.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg packing11.jpg (180.8 KB, 286 views)

Old 09-09-2022, 07:55 AM   #3

Sorry to hear of the damages. It sadly seems that we either get lucky and the shipment is perfect or unlucky and get to tally the damage. But rest assured, PSM will take care of you and if any parts are not available will issue part related refunds. Make sure to check your spam folder as most of the emails from them wind up there. Look for MaxPro LLC.
Out of curiosity, which side did you remove the carb from? Im assuming throttle side but it looks so jumbled up in there

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 09-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #4

I do not want to appear critical but are you claiming a new packaging crate cause that is all I can see barring a scratch on the back rim. What other damage was there to the bike itself. The difficulty here is where was the damage done at Powersports Max or by the transport carrier. Once the package leaves the supplier the carrier would be liable for damage and if you can prove that they caused the damage you would have to deal with the carriers insurance and good luck with that. But still you should expect Power Sport Max to assist you in sorting this out.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
…Make sure to check your spam folder as most of the emails from them wind up there. Look for MaxPro LLC.
I had contacted through both x-pro usa and powersports max. I received an email from Zora from the amazon@maxpro-llc.com email address stating to send pictures which I did to that address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Out of curiosity, which side did you remove the carb from? Im assuming throttle side but it looks so jumbled up in there
Pulled carb from throttle side. Loosened clamps, popped off boots, removed cable/slide. Rotated carb to access choke attachment and unbolted from carb (14mm iirc). Removed fuel line from petcock and then was able to fish everything out through opening at frame/cylinder/head pipe. Installation was reverse, Hardest part was connecting intake boots back up.

Old 09-09-2022, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
I do not want to appear critical but are you claiming a new packaging crate cause that is all I can see barring a scratch on the back rim. What other damage was there to the bike itself. The difficulty here is where was the damage done at Powersports Max or by the transport carrier. Once the package leaves the supplier the carrier would be liable for damage and if you can prove that they caused the damage you would have to deal with the carriers insurance and good luck with that. But still you should expect Power Sport Max to assist you in sorting this out.
I get it, pics or it didn’t happen, but what part of “ Will try to add some more photos later.” did you miss? Again, if I would have been home I would have rejected delivery and would probably be still waiting on a replacement. I am hopeful x-prousa/ powersportsmax/ maxpro/ motopro will make it right. All reports indicate they will and I am patiently waiting and will attempt to contact them again. Just wanted to share my experience good/bad/ugly.

I am on the road again for 2 weeks for work and have limited connectivity and pc access where I am. Forums from a mobile phone is not the best either.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #7

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear rim.jpg (110.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust1.jpg (122.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust2.jpg (118.9 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg packing22.jpg (81.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg signal.jpg (81.1 KB, 242 views)

Old 09-11-2022, 03:57 PM   #8

more photos2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packing21.jpg (200.5 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg forks1.jpg (129.2 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg forks2.jpg (98.8 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg forks3.jpg (138.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg forks4.jpg (154.0 KB, 231 views)

Old 09-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #9

more photos3

more photos3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packing17.jpg (333.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg packing18.jpg (350.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg handlebar.jpg (185.5 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg packing15.jpg (127.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg packing16.jpg (232.5 KB, 216 views)

Old 09-11-2022, 04:35 PM   #10

90% Complete after assembly oil change and first test ride down driveway. Had not attached tank plastics yet. I guess I didn't get any shots that clearly show just how bent the front brake lever was, arrow shows direction of bend.
I went ahead and bent the rear brake pedal out from the case and the front brake lever so it wasn't so hard to reach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg build1.jpg (309.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg build2.jpg (323.3 KB, 234 views)

Old 09-28-2022, 11:20 PM   #11

Random updates... I had one further email exchange with "zora" Sept 13th regarding things damaged from shipping and have received nothing further since. No offer of parts or other compensation. Based on comments/reviews left on the powersportsmax facebook page I have given up any expectation that x-prousa/ powersportsmax/ maxpro/ motopro will make anything right with me. Shame on me for not searching that out previously.. I regret the purchase to the extent that support is craptastic. Definitely not a bike for someone not adept at wrenching and figuring mechanical things out. I think the bike is a great value, just expect NO support. In hindsight I should have went with the Lifan KPX or the new FI Orion RXB250.

As far as break in goes, I am approaching 300 miles.
I have had 3-4 instances of what seemed like trans gear jump or slipping that seemed to disengage the drive under throttle and hi rev the engine. I don't have another one to compare to but it also sounds like excessive noise from the trans sometimes. This is concerning...

I also have a vibration at certain rpms that I think is coming from inside the muffler. My exhaust note/tone changed, heated up enough to make the bumpers start melting and fall out and there is a distinct discoloration on muffler. Makes me wonder if something popped loose inside. I will be removing and inspecting when I take exhaust off to gut the cat.
Does anyone else have similar discoloration on muffler?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler.jpg (151.4 KB, 196 views)

2022 Pioneer SHNG - SSR XF250. Sigma Jet Kit, Muffler & Air inject delete.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:34 PM   #12

Like others (dslfrk, tnkj99), my Templar has the inside pad on the rear caliper drag (significantly) on the rotor such that you could hear it drag/moan when just leaning on the seat or moving off the kickstand. The caliper is located over the rotor based on the dimension of the inner spacer and/or any bend/offset in the caliper bracket/arm. A few thousandths taken off the axle spacer and the barest tweak of the caliper bracket has solved my drag... I would also be interested in the mfg tolerances of the bracket. A washer on the swingarm side of the caliper bracket has helped with aligning the swingarm parallel after this photo was taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear caliper.jpg (163.1 KB, 183 views)

Old 09-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #13

More random info in case anyone cares to know:
KKE front fork bleeder screw thread pitch is M5 x .8mm in case anyone chooses to install bleeders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleeder valves.jpg (40.0 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg fork bleeder.jpg (148.0 KB, 190 views)

Old 03-25-2023, 02:09 AM   #14

Is riding season here yet.?.

Finally checking back in after being busy with work travel over the winter. Starting to get ready for riding season and logged back on to catch up on info and make an update. Previously I had mentioned a vibration/rattle coming from the muffler. I discovered that the outlet tip weld has cracked almost completely around. Photo attached, not the best.

I Have still not received any further communication from x-prousa/ powersportsmax/ maxpro/ motopro from last year and just sent another follow up email to them asking what the frick. I have been excessively patient but am preparing to seek legal advice or just report fraud to my credit card company. Some folks have had good luck getting problems resolved but not me. I will continue to add info on my saga as well as Templar-X related upgrades and performance. Suffice it to say though, I do not expect x-pro to make things right or even make the parts I need available. I may have to get creative trying to find substitute parts for some things. Based on my experience so far though, I absolutely wish I had gone with the KPX or the RXB instead of the Templar-X.

Oh, Also, last year prior to acquiring the X, I was actually looking for a used SSR XF250. I had no luck finding one, but last weekend I found a 2022 XF250 with 950mi that I picked up at a bargain. I will have to start a separate thread on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler outlet.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	28878  

Old 03-25-2023, 07:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Grvlrnr View Post
Finally checking back in after being busy with work travel over the winter. Starting to get ready for riding season and logged back on to catch up on info and make an update. Previously I had mentioned a vibration/rattle coming from the muffler. I discovered that the outlet tip weld has cracked almost completely around. Photo attached, not the best.

I Have still not received any further communication from x-prousa/ powersportsmax/ maxpro/ motopro from last year and just sent another follow up email to them asking what the frick. I have been excessively patient but am preparing to seek legal advice or just report fraud to my credit card company. Some folks have had good luck getting problems resolved but not me. I will continue to add info on my saga as well as Templar-X related upgrades and performance. Suffice it to say though, I do not expect x-pro to make things right or even make the parts I need available. I may have to get creative trying to find substitute parts for some things. Based on my experience so far though, I absolutely wish I had gone with the KPX or the RXB instead of the Templar-X.

Oh, Also, last year prior to acquiring the X, I was actually looking for a used SSR XF250. I had no luck finding one, but last weekend I found a 2022 XF250 with 950mi that I picked up at a bargain. I will have to start a separate thread on it.
Send PSM another email with a link to your post, express your dissatisfaction and surprise at the lack of response in there.. trust me they will make it right.. i had to resort to that after my rear wheel fell off while riding my former Titan DLX and they made me whole with the parts i needed despite being outside of the 50 day window. If you do send a link, send it like this (https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...5&postcount=14)

Oh and just in case, make sure you check your spam folder.. ive had many of their messages stuck there

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X