Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #1

TBR7 cruise - don't trust a soul

Just sharing a little vid of a cruise around my neighborhood.

I ride with genuine distrust for the cars around me... perhaps confidence over time will help me come to grips with cars respecting me ( or not ).

Hard to judge by the quick video, but I welcome any bad habit you see other than adjusting left mirror with right hand ( pretty stupid to cross my arms like that ).

Its really a fishing youtube channel if anyone is in to that sort of thing.

No shameless plugging of my youtube channel either, I've got 1 subscriber and that doesnt count since its my daughter

Thanks

Old 07-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Nice video. That's why I avoid riding in the city. People are too busy looking and talking on there phones not paying attention. I head straight out to the country back roads. It's safer riding on the interstate than riding around town.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

Thanks Jerry!

You nailed it, I keep seeing people on their phones as stop lights and in their peripheral they can see the light turn green, but they are not noticing me in front of them because of the size of the image in their periphery...or they expect me to go hard off the line ..which as a new rider I simply dont.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

Never trust anyone on the road, ever. Just assume they are going to hit you, blow the light or stop for no reason and be prepared for it.

Chest mount? seems like it so it's hard to tell your head movement but you used your lane and kept an escape route.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Yep..chest mount.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been trying to limit my rides to early am for now

Be safe

Old 07-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

that has its pro and cons. Avoid the "work rush" both am and pm as people are tired, running late, distracted, eating and drinking, hell some are still getting dressed. It seemed like you were aware of the intersections and moved accordingly and noticed the white vehicle not stop and the blue one that edged out a bit. Intersections and corners are what are the most dangerous on the road. so just keep working on them.

find an abandoned parking lot or just a large open one and practice emergency braking, swerves and handling obstacles. There is a 50pk of small orange cones on amazon for like $15 you could make your own course if you wanted. I'm trying to do that more because i switch between the storm and a honda vtx 1300 cruiser, ones like a bicycle and one is like a tank so transitioning between them is weird.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

If i pull up to a red light beside somebody playing with there phone i usually blow the horn. When i get there attention i'll mouth with my hand on the side of my helmet like holding a phone and tell them "GET OFF THE F__ING PHONE!" About 90% of the time they will put it down. I had one guy roll his window down and yelled "What you said?" I said it loud enough so he could here me. "GET OFF THE F__ING PHONE!" By the time the light changed , i'm gone and the person behind him was sitting on the horn blaring away.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 07-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #8

It looks like a quiet neighborhood, but you are doing ok in not trusting any other driver. Some people will tell you things like "ohhh so you think that you are a better driveeer!!" Is not that, but the facts are that you don't know who is driver those cars or riding those motorcycle or what they are going to do.
Most of my driving is in the city which is crowded and very noisy, most drivers are busy watching their phones or full of stress... So you need to ride somewhat on the defense.

For me this is a very very quiet night

Old 07-26-2019, 02:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Just sharing a little vid of a cruise around my neighborhood.

I ride with genuine distrust for the cars around me... perhaps confidence over time will help me come to grips with cars respecting me ( or not ).

Hard to judge by the quick video, but I welcome any bad habit you see other than adjusting left mirror with right hand ( pretty stupid to cross my arms like that ).

Its really a fishing youtube channel if anyone is in to that sort of thing.

No shameless plugging of my youtube channel either, I've got 1 subscriber and that doesnt count since its my daughter

Thanks
Come ride in China and you’ll see the worst of humanity

Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #10

You got me there NZ.

I've often watched videos of Pattaya... not China.. but I get it

Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #11

Two suggestions. If you are approaching a junction where there are potential idiots that may pull out in front of you, get those fingers over the clutch and brake levers.
Practice situational awareness - at any given moment you should be able to know where and what vehicles are in relation to you. Pay attention to how vehicles behave before they do certain maneuvers, such as lane changes, and you will get really good at reading traffic. Be aware of the road surface - trash, gravel, pot holes- as well as your surroundings (light poles, curbs, parked cars). It might seem like a lot of work at first, but it eventually becomes second nature.

Other tip, while the horn can be a handy tool, do not rely on it to be your only attention getting device. I ride with my lights on at all times, and in heavy enough traffic I will often have my high beam on (during the day).

The best thing you can do is practice emergency stops. Having a muscle memory of how much braking you can apply can make the difference between crashing or avoiding said idiots. Always remember that if the front skids, let off. If the rear skids, stay in it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

Dan..thanks so much!

I'm getting into a really good habit of hovering clutch and brakes.

What I have NOT DONE..is any practice of emergency braking.

My back yard borders an empty church parking lot and I am friends with the owner ( it is an Indian Church ) and we go back there all the time to play ball with my son, ride bicycles etc.

I also have to get better at spotting the road surface.

Had a minor slow speed fishtail on a gravely street corner, barely could tell as it wasnt a gravel road per se.

Recovered instantly and no harm no foul... but point taken.. made me start looking at the street corners now.

Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #13

Just watched your video and I envy you for having well mannered road users! Oh that would be such a pleasure to ride around in.
You have zero to bitch about lol! I have folk cut in front, undertake or generally not give a flying Fark that anyone is around or has the right of way
I’ve posted a couple vids on my Instagram user is same as here
You live in a blessed land but buy stuff from the devil lol

Old 07-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Just watched your video and I envy you for having well mannered road users! Oh that would be such a pleasure to ride around in.
You have zero to bitch about lol! I have folk cut in front, undertake or generally not give a flying Fark that anyone is around or has the right of way
I’ve posted a couple vids on my Instagram user is same as here
You live in a blessed land but buy stuff from the devil lol
You have to remember that you and I have years of riding experience and have seen and experienced a lot of stuff. For somebody just starting it is a very different perspective. Heavy traffic and inattentive idiots are routine for us, but a real danger to people who have not ridden before. They are so focused on just making the bike do bike things lol.

I work as a part time assistant instructor for a motorcycle course, so I have a good understanding of what new people struggle with. It is also why I have been so busy lately.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You have to remember that you and I have years of riding experience and have seen and experienced a lot of stuff. For somebody just starting it is a very different perspective. Heavy traffic and inattentive idiots are routine for us, but a real danger to people who have not ridden before. They are so focused on just making the bike do bike things lol.

I work as a part time assistant instructor for a motorcycle course, so I have a good understanding of what new people struggle with. It is also why I have been so busy lately.
When you come to China to pick up the FREE yes FREE USD front forks - I will take you for a ride.........................
Prepare nappies might be in order lol