Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

200cc lifan-no spark

i could really use some assistance, been going through old posts for 2 days now with no luck... found some info, in bits and pieces...

ok, i accidentally damaged my coil wire clip where it connects to the plug and ordered a new one. now i get no fire.

i disconnected the kill switch, and checked all the wires i could find for connectivity, no problems found. tried another cdi, no change. new plug, no change.

could someone drop me a link to a tutorial or some more info on troubleshooting spark issues on these engines? possibly with some pics of the specific things i should be testing. ground connection locations and so on...

the charging sytem seems to be fine, the battery was/is at full capacity.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Agreed.

As well, what does your kill switch look like? Got a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

i have the kill switch completely disconnected (bare wire ends)
the plug wire seems to have connectivity from the cdi connection wire post to the plug wire end.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

i suspect either the black/red wire, (which i think is constant power to the cdi from the battery)???
or the blue/white wire, which i think is the signal wire from the engine, (tells the cdi if/when to fire)???
i know saw a video on diagnosing them a while back, but can't find it now...

Old 05-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Run a meter to the 12 volt side of the coil and crank the motor over. You should see the meter rise and fall as the engine cranks. If you do then you know it's the coil or plug wire, if not then you know it's not the coil.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

12vdc directly from battery feeds thru a fuse to voltage rectifier then from rectifier into magneto. Pluse from magneto feeds CDI which in turn sends 12vdc pulse to coil, coil steps up voltage to plug.

That should help you navigate thru the system to track the issue down

Old 05-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

went in and shortened the plug wire 1/2 inch, looked like it was right in the wire. put the cap back, put the cdi back, started right up... ran less than a minute and died... no spark again. lol

it's a good thing i like working on it almost as much as riding it.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

The wiring in these Chinese bikes are notorious for bad connector crimps, so you may have an intermittent issue with one of your connections.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

just went through most of my wiring harness, took out most of the stuff from it's "enduro" days that it doesn't need any more, found several bad spots.

it starts up "sometimes" and runs smooth as silk, for a minute... and then dies...
i will try hard wiring those crimp connectors.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #10

Out of curiosity I'd put a meter on the 12 volt side of the coil while it's running to see if the power drops off just before it dies. The only problem with that is that the meter may not be able to read the voltage change fast enough.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

Here's a diagram for a hawk which shouldn't be much different than your bike. Same principle

Old 05-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #12

got those hard wired, and went through the rest of the harness. near as i can tell, the problem isn't in there. oh well, been planning on cleaning up all those dead end wires anyway.
wierd... it runs ok for a minute, then dies again. no spark...
can the magneto (if it's going bad) intermittently stop signaling the cdi to fire?

Old 05-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo in wv View Post
got those hard wired, and went through the rest of the harness. near as i can tell, the problem isn't in there. oh well, been planning on cleaning up all those dead end wires anyway.
wierd... it runs ok for a minute, then dies again. no spark...
can the magneto (if it's going bad) intermittently stop signaling the cdi to fire?
CDI's can go bad that way, and so can ignition coils....ARH

Old 05-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #14

I just went back and reread your original post. What's the possibility of the new plug cap causing the issue here? I assume the bike ran fine before the original cap was damaged? Do you have any other bikes or power equipment you could borrow another cap from? If so, I'd try that.

... It wouldn't be the first time I've seen new parts defective.

Just out of curiosity, how did you damage the cap?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
I just went back and reread your original post. What's the possibility of the new plug cap causing the issue here? I assume the bike ran fine before the original cap was damaged? Do you have any other bikes or power equipment you could borrow another cap from? If so, I'd try that.

... It wouldn't be the first time I've seen new parts defective.

Just out of curiosity, how did you damage the cap?
tried 2 completely different coils, and shortened the plug wire on the new one, same result. dead in 5... 4... 3...
i think i'm going to get a whole new kit. cdi, stator, coil, rectifier and all. i suspect that either the cdi or stator is getting hot and cutting out.
imho, i think the stators signal wire may be the culprit.

imho, that's the best part about these bikes, all that stuff is still under $25, including shipping. and having spares is always a good thing...