Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #16

If you do get replacement parts ,and you can confirm a cdi issue ,you can throw them in the oven and sometimes they work again .Basically you are melting the solder and hoping the bad connections get re soldered when it cools back down .You have nothing to lose if it's already dead .

Old 05-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #17

the term CDI suggests that there's an electrolytic capacitor under all that epoxy. If you heat one up, it's more likely that you're melting the crap inside of it and giving it a slightly extended life. Solder melts at higher temps than your oven. And no guarantees that it'll even work. I learned that trick from working on tube amplifiers.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 AM   #18

i think i got it.
found a bad spot hidden in the cdi plug harness wires, and the chain guard had the wires from the engine pinned and did some damage there too.
fixed them all and fired it up, so far so good... wait for it..... still running!
i replaced about half the wiring harness while i was in there, and trashed a few feet too. neat as a pin now.
i put on shiny new loom, all the way back out. not that anyone other than me will ever see it under there...

thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated. just knowing some one took the time means a lot.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo in wv View Post
i think i got it.
found a bad spot hidden in the cdi plug harness wires, and the chain guard had the wires from the engine pinned and did some damage there too.
fixed them all and fired it up, so far so good... wait for it..... still running!
i replaced about half the wiring harness while i was in there, and trashed a few feet too. neat as a pin now.
i put on shiny new loom, all the way back out. not that anyone other than me will ever see it under there...

thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated. just knowing some one took the time means a lot.
Great! Glad you found the problem. Happy riding!....ARH

Old 05-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #20

That's great!

Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #21

so far so good, did a couple warm up/cool down cycles today. a few more successful trials, and i'll take it out for a real test.