Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

Magnetic Drain Plug DANGER!

Working on the oil cooler today finishing it up and went to tighten up the drain plug to put some oil in it. I always use a torque wrench to 18 ft lbs. If anybody has every tightened a bolt and then felt that easy kinda turn when it should be getting tight which leads to that sickening feeling in the bottom of your stomach you know it is stripped but, in this case, the bolt head twisted completely off the aluminum magnetic drain plug! #%%@#^&&% That’s trouble. Visions of case splitting in my head. I tried to drill the magnet, seemed as hard as a diamond no go. Seemed the only choice was to drill completely around the magnet with a small bit and punch it threw and clean it out. As I went to drill it on the edge it moved! Hallelujah, its loose, and I used the sharp corner of the drill bit to work it around and out. Worked fine for 4 oil changes, paid $9.00 for it. Very poor aluminum alloy and weak around the magnet. Sometimes does not pay to go inexpensive as much as we all appreciate the savings. Needs to be steel. If you’ve got one in your engine, I highly recommend get rid of it QUICK!

https://ibb.co/XVVMH9M