Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Boom 125cc not starting

hello i just bought a new boom 125cc from red fox motorsports and I've had issues from the moment I got it but the biggest one being is the bike wont stay started it will start then die then its a bitch to get it started again im hoping someone has some insight on this and would be able to help me figure out what is going on ive tried calling the place where I bought it but its like pulling teeth for them to answer and when they do they either hang up on me or say they don't know anything altho they are sending out a battery because the original one had a dead cell in it but I changed that out and it still does the same thing if someone has been through what I'm going through and can help me it would be much appreciated thank you

Old 08-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #2

Pull your fuel lines off the carb and verify you are getting fuel. Pull the plug and verify there is a spark when cranking. Gap the plug at .028" and put it back in. I had the same issue and these steps for it running in minutes. These engines seem pretty sensitive with that spark gap.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #3

Ok i haven't pulled the fuel lines off but I did check to make sure I had a spark had spark and it did i pulled it off and put it on the engine while I cranked it. What do you mean by gap the plug .028" like screw it in there that much or take it out that much? I will definitely go check the fuel lines tho

Old 08-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

I would strongly suggest you google "how to set the gap on a spark plug". Seriously - it's something you need to know how to do. You'll need a spark gap gauge as well.

You should be able to find something like this https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-323.../dp/B00144AZ6K at your local auto parts store.

g.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15sim View Post
I would strongly suggest you google "how to set the gap on a spark plug". Seriously - it's something you need to know how to do. You'll need a spark gap gauge as well.

You should be able to find something like this https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-323.../dp/B00144AZ6K at your local auto parts store.

g.
Ok thank you so much do you think that could be the problem

Old 08-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirales View Post
bought a new boom 125cc from red fox motorsports
BD125-10, Groom 125cc?

Old 08-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirales View Post
Ok thank you so much do you think that could be the problem

I have no idea. It could be a contributor, but I don't know. My knowledge of internal combustion engines can fill the inside half of a matchbook if you use big letters.

g.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Yes it is a boom 125cc/ bd125-10 gen 2

Old 08-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #9

I have two of them that I bought from RFPS in June. One fired right up, one required pulling a vacuum on the fuel line to get it flowing as well as a properly tapped plug.

My wife found out that they will foul plugs if you leave the choke on for too long. It's an easy fix, but it showed how sensitive they are with spark plugs.

Plan on spending some You-tube time if you are going to ride these Chinese bikes. You will either be mechanically adept or you will get a lot of walking time. They are simple to work on, but they will require some work. Pre trip them regularly before riding to keep ahead of any problems.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I have two of them that I bought from RFPS in June. One fired right up, one required pulling a vacuum on the fuel line to get it flowing as well as a properly tapped plug.
Do these bikes come with their valve lash adjusted? That has been an issue with some of the vertical thumpers in the full-size dual-sports and street bikes--the valves have come way too tight and need adjusting out of the box.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-31-2021, 10:41 PM   #11

Remove the check valve

If you haven't, there's a fuel tank vent line that goes down the left side of the tank. Remove the check valve.

Here's what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210831_204043.jpg (79.6 KB, 429 views)

Old 09-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #12

Have you adjusted your idle screw? Your bike has the same type of carb setup as mine (x22). When mine arrived, it definitely required some carb tuning to idle correctly. These carbs have a single screw. May be something to look at. I have mine set to idle at just over 1500 RPMs. You can turn it with your fingers or screwdriver. Adjust in small increments.

IG: @TyGuyProductions