Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Twilight Zone... My wife thinking about a bike

So I was teaching my 7 year old how to ride a dirt bike when my wife said "Maybe I can ride to work now that her office moved 3 miles away from home.There's even a dirt road along the way" I as said that is amazing, what kind of bike were you thinking? Lovely wife responded... Your Hawk......... Errrrrrr.mmmmm uhhhhh. No how about we get you your own. So I think a 2020 kawi veresys.300 x is in our future.

My thinking is i don't want her first bike to have to worry about choke and warm-up...you know the quirky things about a hawk. The versys 300 x is fuel injected with abs brakes and crash bars for the inevitable parking lot tip. I think it is a decent choice... Opinions please.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

The Lifan KP200 would be an inexpensive efi bike or the X Pect
http://shopapmc.com/search.asp?keyword=Lifan
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

2LZ has decided to sell his RX3. Maybe hook up with him and see about picking that up? Might be a good fit, might not. Worth a DM, IMHO.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

pistol...hmmmm…..
Am writing this as if mrs would ask the same....I agree with jerry, and emerikol. I had the chance to get 2lz's csc, and that would have been an excellent choice. I couldn't do that at the time, and my next trip to CA would have been in Nov. Anyways, 2lz takes care of his equipment. I am not sure what the insurance would be on a $4000 plus, bike, but we pay a lot in insurance. Then, I worry about something that expensive getting stolen, dealing with insurance company, raising my rates, etc.

The CSC bike is also a good option. You could start out with the KP or the xpect, and move into something bigger.

The other day, I PM 2lz about his rx3, and what he might price it at, but he hasn't decided as of yet. Volcano, CA is also a long ways away from the east coast.

In our area, as in Salt Lake City, (SLC is only 2 hrs away) there are a few good used Storms available, but over priced.

Bottom line.....I really like jerry's idea and emerikol. Maybe you could find a good used RX3, or something like it, that would come from a good home.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Hey gang, thanks for the good word....and yes, my stable is completely spoiled, too much so sometimes.
As I just pm'd Wedooit, the RX3 is now spoken for by my neighbor. If that changes, you guys will be the first to know.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Hey gang, thanks for the good word....and yes, my stable is completely spoiled, too much so sometimes.
As I just pm'd Wedooit, the RX3 is now spoken for by my neighbor. If that changes, you guys will be the first to know.
That was quick. What's next on the auction block? lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #7

For lower cost efi, the Versys would be a great choice, but so would the other suggestions. There is also the Hawk DLX, which I would hesitate to buy right now due to it being so new. The Lifan X-Pect dual-sport would be fine on dirt roads and as a commuter.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #8

I rode one TODAY at the kawi ride event up at the dealer near me. I rode several bikes. This one would be great for a beginner. We rode in a group and I was on the 300 for the freeway part. I had no probs going 70 with plenty of throttle left.

Great commuter bike for sure. Made me kind of want one.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I rode one TODAY at the kawi ride event up at the dealer near me. I rode several bikes. This one would be great for a beginner. We rode in a group and I was on the 300 for the freeway part. I had no probs going 70 with plenty of throttle left.

Great commuter bike for sure. Made me kind of want one.
Hey round....of the bikes that you rode, any thing else you may comment on? I almost bought a klx140l for the mrs a year or so ago. Where we live, I haven't heard of a riding event as such as you attended.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 08-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Hey round....of the bikes that you rode, any thing else you may comment on? I almost bought a klx140l for the mrs a year or so ago. Where we live, I haven't heard of a riding event as such as you attended.
I ride a Z 650 and it was so mild mannered but plenty of power and a lot of grunt down low but not so much it would wheelie accidentally. It has a fantastic seating position between the versys and sportier bikes and is very nimble and I found it comfortable like I could ride all day much like the versys which was like a newborn kitten it was so gentle. the Z 650 you could carve some roads with this bike. (The had a ninja 400 i did not get to ride.)

They only had street bikes and the versys was the smallest displacement.

My fav bike was the Z900 rs retro bike. 1. it looks cool, 2. if performs really well. 3 it LOOKS COOL!

They did not have a ZX 1400 or H2 to test but I was hoping.

I did not get to ride the 5 bikes I was supposed to as more people showed than they thought and they worked em in. (I made my reservation and took the day off)

Old 09-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #11

Does the bike need to have dirt capability? That is going to be a big factor. If so the Versys should do well, but make sure to get her to sit on some bikes. What often looks good on paper doesn't work out as well in the real world.

Quote:
I ride a Z 650 and it was so mild mannered but plenty of power and a lot of grunt down low but not so much it would wheelie accidentally. It has a fantastic seating position between the versys and sportier bikes and is very nimble and I found it comfortable like I could ride all day much like the versys which was like a newborn kitten it was so gentle. the Z 650 you could carve some roads with this bike. (The had a ninja 400 i did not get to ride.)

They only had street bikes and the versys was the smallest displacement.

My fav bike was the Z900 rs retro bike. 1. it looks cool, 2. if performs really well. 3 it LOOKS COOL!

They did not have a ZX 1400 or H2 to test but I was hoping.

I did not get to ride the 5 bikes I was supposed to as more people showed than they thought and they worked em in. (I made my reservation and took the day off)
The H2SX is relatively tame. Reminds me a lot of my vfr with just a tad more power. The H2 is an animal that even I would hesitate to ride again. The SX version is on my list of replacements for my big viffer though.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Does the bike need to have dirt capability? That is going to be a big factor. If so the Versys should do well, but make sure to get her to sit on some bikes. What often looks good on paper doesn't work out as well in the real world.

The H2SX is relatively tame. Reminds me a lot of my vfr with just a tad more power. The H2 is an animal that even I would hesitate to ride again. The SX version is on my list of replacements for my big viffer though.
The SX is really cool. 100 ft/lbs of torque over a WIDE rpm range looks enticing for sure. being almost 600 lbs is heavy but it is a sport touring bike. My Concours weighs 775 lbs and feels pretty good in sweepers.

No way could i afford one. There is another kawi ride even at a different dealer next weekend. I may see if i can get in a ride different bikes.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
The SX is really cool. 100 ft/lbs of torque over a WIDE rpm range looks enticing for sure. being almost 600 lbs is heavy but it is a sport touring bike.
Hence why it feels exactly like my VFR. 95ft-lbs peak. but it carries 90% of peak torque from 3800 to 10,000rpm. Weight is almost the same as well. just shy of 600lbs wet weight. It makes the bike much more sporty than most sport touring bikes, and has useable power almost everywhere the tach needle points to. I can't entirely afford one either, but if I find good deal on a slightly used one I may just trade.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

There is a stretch of road that is dirt, it meanders through a forest that she drives down to clear her head and dodge traffic. That is why I'm thinking a versys X.

Whatever bike it must be uber reliable. This would be her first bike ever so I want it to start every time. Again I love my hawk but it was a toy to get back into riding and it didn't have to be reliable, although it has been incredibly reliable. Once you tinker with it, it is quite the machine for the $1,100 I paid for it.

If this becomes a thing with my wife I might get my dream machine, honda africa twin.

BTW great being back and seeing my ole buds and hopefully meet a few new ones too. Anyone ever heard from Fast Doc?