Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #1

Ural and Jeep are 80

Ural started production 80 years ago. By coincident, so did Jeep. Both started out as military vehicles. About all either have in common with the originals are the name and the look.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

As a proud owner of both of those aforementioned vehicles, I can say that I wouldn't give them up for the world!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #3

I have only owned a Jeep. Both are worthy of celebration. Cheers

Old 10-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

In keeping with the 80 year celebrations, I did test ride two different 2021 Urals today at the local dealer, a CT and a Gear Up, .

O.M.G. Those are Hyabusas compared to my 07. The only complaint I had on the Gear Up was the brake set up. The rear brake and sidecar brake weren't balanced well. The sales geek(new guy)told me it was the nature of the beast. I told him to take mine for spin and see how a proper set up brakes.

The solo seat on the CT wasn't as firm as the bench on the Gear Up. Kind of squishy. Both are probably better than the tractor seat on an Iron Butt, though. The brakes on the CT were spot on.

I spoke with the shop owner afterwards. I liked what saw, my complaints are just small tweeks in set up, and I'd really need a fairing. But even though my rig is high mileage, rusty, ragged, and it needs to be muscled around(Fairing?), it's both dialed in and paid for. Maybe next year.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #5

It took me about two months to get the rear brake set up properly on my Gear Up. I was dialing it in pretty slowly, making sure it was consistent on a whole bunch of different roads and such. It's just about perfect for normal riding, but when I really have to get on the binders for any reason, the sidecar drags ever so slightly. I think it probably has more to do with the differing sizes of the rotors and calipers between the rear rig tire, and the sidecar tire. Like Cheesy said though, it's paid for, and it gets me around.

As for the Wrangler, I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be doing some extensive suspension work over the winter one we get moved into the new place. I'm starting to get the dreaded death wobble under certain circumstances, and the tires are starting to wear just a bit funny. I'm pretty religious about rotating the tires every 5,000 miles, so there's something that's about to go bang. Luckily, Jeeps are super easy to work on. I can even spring for some upgrades since there's not a note on this one, either. Still in all, nothing beats riding around with the doors and windows pulled out.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

I didn't look, but is there a a flow divider between the rear calipers? If not, I think I'd be fitting a Wildwood in there real quick. With what IMZ has done with that engine, it may be time to reintroduce the Solo. HP is still low for a 750 but the throttle response and low end torque are impressive.

My LJ needs new front U-joints. I need a few days off to talk myself into doing it. Dealing with a lot of rust. I'm seriously thinking of letting it go next year as the Ural sees more use.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #7

No flow divider, two master cylinders. The setup is to adjust the linkage rod to increase or decrease pressure to the hack-side caliper. That's why it's so hard to get set up for all situations. Normal braking will see the two calipers behave themselves and work in relative unison. Really stomping on the stop pad will create flex in the linkage, and then they work together about as well as a third grade violin recital.

Lucky for me, my TJ has been in either the Arizona Desert, or the non-salted-roads south it's entire life. There's even enough garage space in the new pad for it, the Suburban, the Tractor (Ford 8N), AND all the motorcycle to sleep inside! Can't wait to close on the new place and post some pictures!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I have only owned a Jeep. Both are worthy of celebration. Cheers
Of the Forbe's List of 30 WORST vehicles pretty much contains every Jeep and Dodge vehicle.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #9

Forbes wouldn't have a clue if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. Or, it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800