Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #61

OK, I'll bite . WHAT DO THE DOOHICKEY DO? It says something about balancing .
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 11-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #62

Some kind of "Idler Shaft Lever and Spring Doohickey" that keeps the pixies inside the 650cc engine happy... the exact translation from Japanese to English wasn't the best... either way... if you don't upgrade to the Eagle Mike Doohickey the pixies will tag in the unicorns and all hell will break loose to say the least

And as long as the old Doo is still in one piece... I get a neat tool to remove my inspection covers

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #63

So it keeps the tension up on one of those chains right? What is the matter withe the OEM one? Why is the Eagle Mike better? Sorry, can't do videos
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-16-2016, 02:41 AM   #64

The OE is a Welded design and several mm thinner than the Single Piece Eagle Mike Upgrade... I paid a bit more to also get ride of crap Springs for a Torsion Spring...

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #65

A few pics while I take a rest

Pic 1 you can see what all I used to do the project, used the "KTM 990 Tubeless conversion" as a guide to do my project... used "Goop and Seal-All" in a "Blunt Tip Syringe" (used the Blunt Tip Syringe attachment for the Seal-All, removed the Blunt Tip Syringe for the thicker Goop sealant)...

I'm only doing this mod on the rear rim/tire as it has the proper "design" to do such a mod, the front rim will need some kind of "bead/rim lock" if my research is correct guess it's just another reason/excuse for me to upgrade to an Excel rim up front

Pic 2 is shortly after the valve clearance check and also of the "MC Free Power Mod"...

and pic 3 is of the finished "Tubeless rear rim project", complete with it's new Shinko 705 (tubeless) Tire... used RuGLYDE and 3 Spoons for the easy win , used about 12 sprays (not even an ounce) of RuGLYDE... what will I do with the rest of the gallon

Tire is currently set to 42 psi and so far no leaks!

I will check it in the morning, if no change in the psi I will pull the "valve core" and add 10oz of "Ride-On", re-install the valve core then re-fill with 35 to 42 psi and call it good until I get a flat or need a new tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5351.jpg (63.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5359.jpg (77.6 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5362.jpg (60.3 KB, 305 views)

Old 11-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #66

"No change" in PSI over the last 4 or 5 days (ok... so it went from 42 PSI down to 40.7 PSI, but the ambient temps went from the low 60's down to 20 and below, that accounts for the drop in PSI), so I pulled the valve core and added 10oz of "Ride-On" into the tire, refilled the tire with 34 PSI and I'm officially Tubeless in the rear

Removed a nice chunk of weight considering the previous owner(s) had "Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes" installed

Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 AM   #67

Valve shims ordered, will be here Tuesday... considering the "13,000 mile service" complete after that

Also ordered some upgraded Barnett Clutch Springs, I noticed Schnitz Racing has a 10% off coupon for "Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals" and I ordered 2 packs of clutch springs... so anyone with a 1987 - 2015 KLR 650 in my area needing or wanting to upgrade the clutch springs, let me know... I will have an extra pack sitting around

Original clutch springs rated for ~210lbs of clutch pack pressure, EBC is around 220 - 230lbs... the ones I ordered are 280lbs

Those springs are going to be a perfect combo with my Hydraulic Clutch and any of the future mods I might do while owning this bike (things like Stage 2 Hotcams, 685cc 11:1 compression kit, over sized valves, etc.) no more having to worry about power slipping away with those springs installed

Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #68

Sounds like your scratching your tinker toy itch.

Are many of these items you speak of been upgraded/redesigned on the latest klr models? 2017 model:

I Remember a few years ago thinking about pulling the trigger on a klr but decided it was to much of an investment for a newb. Still think it's the greatest for what-it-is bikes.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Are many of these items you speak of been upgraded/redesigned on the latest klr models? 2017 model
Little changes have happened to the KLR 650 over the million years it has been out ... 2008 and new bikes have been known to NOT need an aftermarket exhaust header to get extra power, they already have a great design, smooth bends, and little to NO mountain welds restricting flow like the 1987 - 2007 models do they did beef up the weld on the stock "Doohickey" but it has been reported to fail just as often as pre 2008 KLRs

Other than the "slightly restrictive" exhaust header... a few suspension changes... not much else has changed over the years to my knowledge...

Nothing has ever been "Fixed" (or even admitted to be "faulty") by Kawasaki, it has always been up to the owners of the bikes to fix the few problems that sometimes occur...

We (KLR owners) have been extremely lucky, as several of the owners of big name brand aftermarket parts companies actually ride a KLR 650, most of them ride it daily, so they came out with plenty of stuff to fix any of those 'problems' that pop up

Old 12-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #70

More parts are in!!!

But... they are the wrong ones ... my go to motorcycle parts store might have hundreds of boxes with the wrong sized "Front Brake Line" ... won't know until I get an email/phone call back from them

They had a smoking good deal on them, only $24 shipped with the legendary RMATVMC customer service and warranty, so I ordered the front, already had the rear done a long while back.

Was afraid they would be closed, but I remember calling several times after 8am on previous Saturdays and someone was there as always to answer my call... within 2 rings as always too (was under a full ring this time )

A couple minutes talking to the nice lady, a few pics and a email later... and I feel I will be taken care of as always, will just have to wait a bit longer (holiday season after all)

Anyone want to venture how far this "Front" brake line actually goes? I can tell you it barely reaches the Clutch Lever on the handle bar... I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it go past that and all the way down to the front brake caliper... the brake line in the box is only 20 or so inches long after all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5437-01.jpg (51.9 KB, 281 views)

Old 12-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #71

Got a call the other day from RMATV saying, no more 'green front brake lines' in stock and the 'green rear' that they have in stock was low by 1... the 1 they shipped me (the only one mislabeled as a "Front Brake Line"... just my luck)

RMATV only called to ask if I would like the brake line in Black or if I would prefer a refund instead ... "ship me the black one please, the original 1999 brake line is well passed it's service life... what should I do with the green rear brake line I received?"

I was told to keep it... ... seeing how I already installed SS brake line (black) on the rear not even 6 months back... I won't be needing another one for some time...

Soooo.... anyone in my area want a Tusk SS Rear Brake Line (green)? It was on sale and I only paid $24 for it... Should fit all years KLR 650's, but I ordered it for my 1999 "1st gen model"... might fit dozens of other bikes too... I can take some measurements if there are any takers

Old 02-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #72

Hehe Soon my pet, I will feed you the world!

Almost done with my Lightweight 'Turtle' errr 'KLR' project...

I got a little bit of extra "spending $$" the other day and noticed Fay Myers Motorcycle World had the Magura Hydraulic Clutch Kit I need for the KLR at a great price... so I ordered it ... last time I bought one it was a hair shy of $250 with shipping fees , this time it was just under $185 for the same kit

The first Magura kit I had ended up on the Mrs.' Bashan WILL that Hydraulic Clutch alone was over 25% of the bikes original cost I know... I know... I go bit crazy when I start to modify things

Anyway...

The new kit should be here Monday... maybe Tuesday if FedEx forgets how to do their yob...

Only things left to do for my KLR project is:

Install the new chain/rear sprocket I got a long while back, swap out the old valve shims for the new ones, build and mount a Battery Box, check every nut/bolt I may have touched 'replacing the Doo'... also about time to buy a light weight Lithium Battery, some Titanium Fasteners, and some lighter Rims/Spokes to finish the "weight loss program"

Once that's done, I will pop it on the scales and see how much my Tortoise weighs after it's winter time Fasting

Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #73

FedEx figured it was easier to have USPS deliver my Magura Hydraulic Clutch Kit... luckily for me it was still delivered "On time" and I received the box today...

Install was extremely fast and easy... as I already did it before and since I never "re-installed" the old cable clutch setup when the Mrs. Bashan took ownership of the first Magura Hydraulic Clutch Kit... I had nothing to remove, and just slapped everything in place in a few seconds

Checked the rear tire pressure today too... hasn't budged since I went Tubeless

Have to fix the Headlight Fuse... I melted way back when I was out riding with the "China Bike Riders: Colorado Chapter", I think while I was bouncing over rocks my finger hit the headlight switch and got stuck between the "High/Low" setting making both lights shine bright overheating the circuit, causing the fuse I put in to melt instead of just 'popping'

Once I make shift a battery box (and borrow the battery from the Mrs. Bashan), I have my KLR back