Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #16

Did a lot of unlicensed riding as a teenager in the 70's, A few years ago I bought a Honda VT600 Shadow, It's a large bike for a 600...full size.

Prepping for my test I laid out the cone weave in the street in front of my house, tried it on the 600 and thought it was impossible. Searched google and was enlightened to see 100 lb 5 foot tall ladies doing the cones weave on Goldwings and Road Kings. Well ok I realized this can be done and practiced and got pretty good.

Passed the test the first try, the inspector was impressed and said he very rarely does this but gave me a copy of the test showing the bike used. He told me I can bring it to the biker bar post riding and brag to my friends. Lots of posers around here rent a scooter for the road test convinced it can't be done on a full sized bike....well it can!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #17

I was humbled about that very topic, Wilser. My buddy (who was one year younger than me) decided to take the test on my '79 Yamaha XS650S, which is not known for its handling abilities. He had the opportunity to use my little TS100, but he politely declined. I watched him take that cone test like a seasoned pro on my Yamaha, and I never doubted his riding ability after that. He was 16.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #18

I purchased an old KZ550, but with the tiered licensing system in Utah, I didn't want to take the test on it because I would be restricted on what size engine I could use later. I ended up borrowing a coworker's Harley Dyna (I think) and taking the test on it. It was rough since the turning radius of a Dyna is to a UJM like a mid-90's F-250 is to a Honda Fit. It worked out well enough though, and I gladly returned the bike to him without issue. Sure would have been embarassing if I hadn't passed the test! He trusted me though, since I'd put on 2500 miles in the 2 months I'd had the bike.

Current: CSC TT250