Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #1

Head Scratching old rider new tricks tt250 mods

I need help on mods to increase my tt250 to over 20hp and do not want to do anything to extreme that would damage engine

New carb?
muffler ?
Plug?
Even jets

I have been riding a long time but am new to this type of bike

Old 05-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Has anyone checked with CSC to see which mods wont VOID the warranty ?

Old 05-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #3

HP Increase

Its doubtful you would get to 20+hp with just a new carb and jets and an exhaust. Typical increase is 10-12% gain with the right combination of muffler and jetting. The increase in hp comes from better overall airflow and the limiting factor would then be the port geometry, Valve size and cam profile. So with a base of 16hp you might get 18hp if it was tuned perfectly which is difficult with a carb. You could get a aftermarket EFI that can be tuned to a more exact MAP but even then you may only see another 5%. To do what you intend you would have to start making modifications to either compression or port geometry. Both of those would definitely void the warranty. Ecotron sells a small engine EFI system that might work. They also have a small engine turbocharger. If you did both you would get there. Keep in mind that this configuration would increase compression and put much more strain on the bottom end.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
Has anyone checked with CSC to see which mods wont VOID the warranty ?
I have never had a warranty do me any good but limit my ability to enjoy the purchased item

That being said I will still have to break in the motor if there are any true factory defects they be spoted in the process
1. Break it in
2. Run the heck out of it
3. Mod it just a bit like I said no crazy stuff

18hp is a big step up from 16 but was hoping for 20

Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

I have seen a few tricks mentioned on youtube, or seen as 'advice' from someone to another that involved putting in new pistons, and or stroking them, etc., but even with a better product coming via CSC, I doubt the engine will last very long doing anything internally. There was a guy a while ago who was playing with a turbo kit for a Lifan on here

You will only really get reliable power with the carb, and getting the exhaust smoothed out, as some have been doing with their Hawks and Bashans. However, would not be surprised to see CSC offering an exhaust for the TT, and I bet if a few of you email/call Joe that could happen sooner rather than later, which might be a couple hundred well spent. The carb upgrade, most likely, will be the Mikuni (clone) that people have been obtaining off of ebay with great results, once the jetting has been sorted out as far as elevation/riding conditions go.

The above mentioned upgrades (new carb/jetting), as well as sprocket(s) are proven upgrades for these reliable beasts. I believe the TT comes with a 50 tooth rear, so, if street riding is your most likely place you will be riding, a 44 or 45 is in order, as well as a 17 countersprocket (I think it might come that way, so one less thing to do).

These bikes are low-cost, and stay that way, as they do not respond to (internal) engine upgrades very well.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #6

I think i'd check w the bashan guys, who appear to have the same motor and see what they've got working.., and I agree, the warranty issue MAY be an issue, need to talk to Joe on that one.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I have seen a few tricks mentioned on youtube, or seen as 'advice' from someone to another that involved putting in new pistons, and or stroking them, etc., but even with a better product coming via CSC, I doubt the engine will last very long doing anything internally. There was a guy a while ago who was playing with a turbo kit for a Lifan on here

You will only really get reliable power with the carb, and getting the exhaust smoothed out, as some have been doing with their Hawks and Bashans. However, would not be surprised to see CSC offering an exhaust for the TT, and I bet if a few of you email/call Joe that could happen sooner rather than later, which might be a couple hundred well spent. The carb upgrade, most likely, will be the Mikuni (clone) that people have been obtaining off of ebay with great results, once the jetting has been sorted out as far as elevation/riding conditions go.

The above mentioned upgrades (new carb/jetting), as well as sprocket(s) are proven upgrades for these reliable beasts. I believe the TT comes with a 50 tooth rear, so, if street riding is your most likely place you will be riding, a 44 or 45 is in order, as well as a 17 countersprocket (I think it might come that way, so one less thing to do).

These bikes are low-cost, and stay that way, as they do not respond to (internal) engine upgrades very well.
You have a good idea for scs, come up with a line of power maker accessories that were tested and dynoed by scs that would make proven bolt on powerror for the tt250, are you listening scs? The performance market is wild, people will buy anything...EXTREMEEEE!!!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #8

CSC may be in a compromised position to offer any performance modifications that are not CARB certified. The reason is that CARB may view these efforts as a way to circumvent the restrictions placed on the vehicles when they originally received their CARB certification.

I think the burden will be on a third party vendor to design and market performance upgrades so that CSC does not jeopardize their CARB compliant status.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #9

if power is lacking, then another way to improve performance is to shed weight. my yamaha-based zong 200-GY with its heavy frame has lost approx 10 kg which makes a difference. remove rear pegs, rack, add lighter handlebars (Protaper ATV mid 7/8th has the same rise BTW), lighter mirrors, lithium battery, remove battery box etc, aftermarket muffler of course - still looks stock but weighs less.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #10

get the air cooled south American rx3 250 engine - seen them on ebay for ~500$
that's probably the easiest way. still carbed so no weird wiring required, if it fits then you only lose the kick start but gain about 50% power.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
that's probably the easiest way. still carbed so no weird wiring required, if it fits then you only lose the kick start but gain about 50% power.
Interesting. Do you believe they are a direct bolt-in tho the TT 250?

Also, do you know of any other larger Japanese engines that would be a direct or easy to fabricate bolt-in?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrob View Post
CSC may be in a compromised position to offer any performance modifications that are not CARB certified. The reason is that CARB may view these efforts as a way to circumvent the restrictions placed on the vehicles when they originally received their CARB certification.

I think the burden will be on a third party vendor to design and market performance upgrades so that CSC does not jeopardize their CARB compliant status.
Or they can treat it like HD and Victory does. Sell you the performance parts, then (in their case), the customer installs the parts and comes back later and reflash the ECM. So far, they're still within CARB. The dealer just can't install performance parts on a new bike like they used to. If that's now changed, I'm unaware.

I would say that 20HP could be achievable. It really depends on how the cam is timed in these CG motors. I know the Q Link's (200cc, 15 HP stock) were capable of 20HP with jetting and exhaust mod. There's a dyno video of it here somewhere I'd posted from a past member known as Boost Crazy.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #13

my ? would be how much can a 428 chain reliably take? are we talking full change over i.e., chain/sprockets, maybe change in rear hub offset?
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

chain upgrade has been done with bolt ons but you are limited to I think a 13 tooth front sprocket due to space limitations.

if you did an engine swap you would gain a 6 speed and the 520 chain clearance.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrob View Post
Interesting. Do you believe they are a direct bolt-in tho the TT 250?

Also, do you know of any other larger Japanese engines that would be a direct or easy to fabricate bolt-in?
All versions of the ZS177MM (NC250) engine used in the Zongshen RX3 are water cooled engines. The NC250 engine would definitely not bolt directly into the TT250 frame.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894