Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Did you ever get any fudge, Weld? :?: Inquiring minds want to know! :?

Spud
I did indeed, and it was terrific! I managed to finish most of it on the way home, so I only had to share three pieces.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I couldn't find a 14mm drill bit, so I bought the 9/16", which is 0.3mm larger. I placed a bushing in a v-block and chucked it in the vise.

Much like the Native philosophy of building a canoe, you just trim away everything that is not a bushing.

They fit nicely on the bolt.

I then drilled and tapped a hole in the swingarm for a zerk.

A little grease and a little hydraulic pressure, and they slid right in.

Here ya go, Midlife.

Can a zerk fitting be installed without taking it all apart?I'm scared I'm going to lose my little needle bearings when I take it apart.I have went to partskit just to see what all is involved in making up the swing bushing.I'll just have to take it apart to see what has to be done to add a zerk fitting or maybe have to add two,one on each end of the swing arm to grease each needle bearing.

Last edited by dugndeep; 04-19-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #33

One of the needle bearings on my swing arm has a piece of the rim chipped out of it,it won't spin freely like the left side bearing.I think that happened when they were pressing the bearing in there,I think the swing arm bushing is all that is holding the little needle bearings in there.I should have tried to measure the bearing while I had it apart yesterday so I could look for something better to replace them with.The other or left side appears to be okay.You might could find a sealed ball bearing to go in there.I don't know how long a sealed ball bearing would last with the lateral movement but would have to be better than what's in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg needle bearings 2021-04-19 002.JPG (170.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg needle bearing 006.JPG (174.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg needle bearing 002.JPG (174.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg needle bearing 004.JPG (169.8 KB, 72 views)

Old 04-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #34

More then likely they put it on with just a hammer and nothing else and bashed the crap out of it. Too much pressure on one side will create some hairline cracks... over time you get what you see in the picture.

If you find a replacement put a socket that is roughly the same outer diameter of the bearing and tap that with the hammer. This will give you even pressure.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #35

I started out with nothing and still have nothing,looks like I'm holding my own.