Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Weldangrind's New Lifan GY5

I couldn't resist.

I bought Camwow's Lifan on Saturday, and it was a good decision. I was building the Roketa for Son of Weldangrind, but this Lifan has only 664km on it! It's very clean and straight, even though most of the plastic needs to be replaced. I've purchased most of the parts I need already, because they were intended for the Roketa. It should be on the road soon, and then I can focus on my TW. The Roketa might become a cafe...

I've already removed the tank shrouds and the front fender. One side cover has had some Frankenstein repair, and I'm going to try my hand at plastic-welding on it.

Here's what it looked like, shortly after I got it home.

There seems to be an alarm under the seat, and I want it gone. Am I ok to simply unplug it, or is there more to be done? Here's what it looks like.

Also, the CDI under the seat is the same unit that the Roketa uses, but there is another device to the left of the seat that I don't recognize. What is this?

It has the weird anti-lock device on the front caliper. Can I just delete it and move the banjo bolt to the caliper?

This made my day.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Last edited by Weldangrind; 06-11-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

You can do an ABS delete. The picture of the solenoid and what may be the beeping winker flasher.

Try unplugging that alarm stuff. The US bikes did not have them.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

+1 on the 'ABS' delete.

The 'alarm' may be the annoying GY2 turn signal beeper?

Congratulations on the purchace.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Ron's GY is a steal.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

I see from left to right a rectifier, starter relay, and the one on the end is a turnsignal box if it only has two pins that actually connect to the wires going in to it. Its used as the end of the harness on lifans, A big plug with only two or three wires getting used.

If you need parts just let me know! I have loads of side panels and the two types of instrument cluster

Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll test the signals, and see if the device beeps. I'll also just unplug the alarm stuff.

WA, I do need a left side panel. Can you remind me of which style you have with a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #7

Congratulations on your new acquisition, Weld!

+3 on the ABSectomy; excise the tumor.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #8

It is the same kind as you have! I have right and left if you want matching stickers also have white back halfs. Are you just lokking for the back halfs or both sections?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #9

WA, I just need the back half. I intend to paint them anyway, so colour is unimportant.

Thanks to all who confirmed that I can dump the ABS.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #10

That is good to know about the ABS delete, I just installed a new front caliper on my bike that has the ABS and I don't like it.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson

Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #11

Got some more work done on the weekend. Deleted the silly ABS, worked on getting the Roketa carrying rack to fit the Lifan, laced an old Honda DID aluminum rim to the front, re-wired the speedo cluster, ignition and gear indicator from the Roketa to fit and dismantled the front forks.

There was a clunk in the left fork when the brake was applied, and all of the oil had leaked out. Son of Weldangrind and I took the fork apart, along with one of the rusted forks from the Roketa, and found that a bushing was missing from the Lifan fork. In the (blurry) pic below, look just below the seal, and you'll see a gold anodized section that is about 1/2" in height. There is supposed to be a bushing in there, so the telescoping portion rocked in the tube.

We decided to just use one of the Roketa tubes, because aside from being corroded, it was complete and in good shape. Since the tube looked awful, I removed the anodized coating from both tubes with oven cleaner, and wiped them clean in about one minute. Son of Weldangrind then polished both tubes, but he decided that they need some colour. In the pic below, you can see the pair of tubes after I hit them with some primer, and a sample of a polished tube. There is a small section about 2" above my hand that is polished.

I don't have colour shots at this time, but I sprayed them with Duplicolor high heat red paint, and they look quite good. I'm really impressed with how that paint lays down, and we'll see how long it lasts once the forks are in use. I'll post more pics as work continues.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #12

Nice work! Have you got a Roketa model DB-07, or model DB-07A?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #13

DB-07A. My plan is to take the swingarm, monoshock and link, upside down forks, triple clamps, tank and seat and install them on an '81 XR200 frame. The XR200 twin shocks, triples and swingarm will be installed on the Roketa frame to make a cafe racer. None of that is on the front burner, but it's moving forward.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

Your DB-07A forks are the same as the forks on my Zong. I posted information concerning the fork oil seal and dust wiper replacement parts in the following thread. However, I wonder which Japanese bushings would fit in these forks?

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10266

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #15

You are making me jealous. I'm gonna have to get me another bike lol

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson