Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #1

XXX Motorsports good. ODFL, not so much

XXX Motorsports has done their part well so far, but their shipping partner, Old Dominion Freight Lines has really disappointed me--for several days in a row now...

My tracking initialled estimated that it would arrive Friday, I waited around all day for that and it didn't come. I wasn't too bothered by it because, hey, Friday was an ESTIMATE. It has at least reached it's last destination (Pendergrass, GA) before my home, and it was apparently on the dock, so I had Monday to look forward to, as Pendergrass is only about 45 minutes away. Monday came and my tracking reported "Out for local delivery." I spent another ENTIRE DAY waiting by the door, making sure I didn't go anywhere so I could be here to sign for it an all. Around 6 PM I started thinking that surely this was outside of business hours and they wouldn't be delivering to me this late. 7:00- out for local delivery. 8:00- out for local delivery. 9:00- Unloading in Pendergrass, GA. "WTF?!" So I called the Pendergrass office and they explained that they had come by my house but decided that it would be too difficult to maneuver the 40' truck in the area and that they would bring it on a box truck tomorrow.

Tomorrow is now today and about 30 minutes ago I got a call from the truck driver.
"Hi Zachary, I need directions to your house to deliver you shipment from The Scooter Store"
"Okay great, if your coming from..."
"Okay, is there going to be room for me to turn around a 40 foot rig there?"
"What?"

He then explained that he was driving the exact same type of truck that had come by my house yesterday, but that he would leave them a note to remind them to put it on a box truck tomorrow.

I have a trailer than can handle 300lbs and a van that can pull it. What I don't have is a week to sit on my ass waiting by the door. Maybe I should just drive down to Pendergrass and pick it up myself or something if they can't manage to get it on the right kind of truck.

Am I wrong to be really pissed about this? I wasn't rude to the driver of course, I know it's nothing he's done, but I almost feel like I ought to get back some money or something if I'm going to take off four days in a row to sit and wait.

Anyone else have similar troubles?

Edit: and another peeve. All these extra loading and unloading and driving it back and forth is unfortunately widening the margin for shipping damage and further hassle. Wouldn't I have to pay to ship it back if it did get broken?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #2

I drove a rig for a while many years ago. I once delivered a load of frozen fish and crabs to a guy in the woods in South Carolina. I backed the rig from the main asphalt road nearly a mile down an inclining, curved, wood lined, dirt driveway. It is just a matter of how bad the driver wants to get out from under a particular load.

I am also comfortable a shipping docks, so I wouldn’t hesitate to take delivery at the dock. Some advantages are, you can take your time inspecting everything, the guys there will be curious so you will have lifting help and you can use their dumpster for the packing material.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

If the damage is caused by the carrier, you should not be responsable for return shipping.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i had problems with my shipping, but it was due to inclement weather...

once the truck was finally able to make it to my home, it was cake.. the only thing was that his box truck's liftgate was broken, so we had to heave ho it off the back... other then that, everything was smooth i could say...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #4

I just called them again to make sure that the supposed reminder would be recognized and she was very nice. She said she'd go talk to the shipping manager personally and tell him that this will be the third attempt and to make sure to get it on the end of a flat truck and make it the first delivery.

I really needed it today because my dad was going to come up and help me assemble it all this afternoon because I don't have much of a tool collection, and I'm guessing that the included toolkit will be minimal at best, but I'll live.

Please oh please oh please let them get it right this time.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
Dont know the details of your location but there are few places i cant put a truck.I've been driving 12 years pulling mostly 53' foot trailers but i have hauled poles up to 85 feet long.There have been times i've shown up at a location and the customer was expecting a 20 foot box truck and be shocked at how i got a 53 foot trailer to his place.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #6

I don't think it would be too hard to get a 40' trailer in long enough to lift gate it onto my driveway, but I'm also not a truck driver. That's not really what bothers me. I have no problem with the driver deciding that it's not a good idea and not bringing it. I'm more irritated with the management aspect. They were supposed to be delivering in a straight truck today but somehow loaded it onto the same kind of truck again. That's what I'm not enjoying. But maybe it will all be cleared up tomorrow and I'll have it finally and at last.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Wow, I think I would at least let the management of the freight company know of my displeasure as well as let the vendor (XXX) know about the shipping hassles. If they care about their customer's satisfaction, they'll want to know how the shipper has been treating you. Just my opinion.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 02-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #8

I had a full size truck show up at my place, and it is pretty small...here are some picture of him pulling in....haha

This one gives you an idea of just how small the parking lot was

Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roketarider
I had a full size truck show up at my place, and it is pretty small...here are some picture of him pulling in....haha

This one gives you an idea of just how small the parking lot was

I actually was pro-active and called the shipping company to verify that they would be coming, talked to the driver that mornign and got a 3 hour block of time to be home in!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolygonFla
I am also comfortable a shipping docks, so I wouldn’t hesitate to take delivery at the dock. Some advantages are, you can take your time inspecting everything, the guys there will be curious so you will have lifting help and you can use their dumpster for the packing material.
I agree with poly, I picked mine up at the dock and saved $50 on shipping. Unpacked everything down to the metal frame and used their dumpster. This was almost 3yrs ago, everyone there was curious as to what it was. When I got all the cardboard down to the metal crate where the brand was visible, I just shook my head and said "dammit, I ordered a Diamo and they sent me a Kazuma". No one there knew what the hell I was talking about but I did get help loading it and a few comments about it lookin like a kawasaki.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #11

Hey Zach, here is the link to my dealings with ODFL, By the way when the driver called me, I told him "A big ass truck moved my funiture here when I bought the place, don't see why you can't get here". He had to park on the street , read my post... Go to the top of the page... http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ighlight=#6191

Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #12

I too used to drive trucks. Still do on occasion. One time this kid had me follow him to a jobsite. I was hauling a load of landscape rock. I was able to drive in barely but to get out the ground I would have had to drive on was too soft. I asked the forman if I could borrow the excavator, hooked a chain to my flatbeds frame and used the excavator to swing my trailer around.

Then there's the pototo barn story but that's another time.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #13

I once made the mistake of trying to turn my rig around on the south side of a building in Lake L.A. about 50 east of Las Angeles in the high desert. I’d turned around on the north side fine a 2 or 3 other occasions and I had an empty trailer. (was visiting another driver) Anyway no sooner had the trailer’s wheals left the tarmac and I was sunk to the axels. I was stuck for 19 hours.

(BTW there is no lake in Lake LA, just desert)

I'm so glad I drive a China bike now!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #14

I'm starting to worry that today is not the day. The person I talked to yesterday assured me they would put it on the end of a straight truck and bing it out "first thing." Today my shipping still says "On the dock at Pendergrass, GA." The appointment says 8-2, so they still have a few hours, but not having it on a truck yet is making me feel doubtful.

Pllllease ODFL don't let me down.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #15

I believe we have officially Hi-jacked your thread Zac.... I'm hoping you get your bike man... and that it is perfect.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com