Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
A dealers honest opinion

This question is for the honest dealers out there.....What is the quality of the China made 200cc ATV's compared to their dirt bikes, I'm talking the ones you see on ebay for around $1000 shipped.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
I guess I will start the reply, but any dealer is welcome to share their opinions as well.

I will have to answer this just as honest as I can possibly do it. The ATVs out there have to be just as good as the bikes are, but keep in mind the price just as you would on the bikes. You do have some companies that you need to stear clear of, mainly because they tend to use the same frame and insert several different size engines. I have seen some small 5occ units with up to a 110cc engine! That's reliculous and it is just begging for an injury and a suit. The unit should be sized to the age group according to the frame as well as the motor and intended purpose. A lot of SunL units are this way and I know they have a reputation of lack of parts supply. The better units will have a better warranty, pretty much goes without saying. I know of several other brands that I won't mention here, but I know that the units that I keep are good units. I have done a lot of homework on Redcat, Lifan, now Tank and there are some gray market units that I have looked at, but it all depends on parts availability to decide if they are worth carrying. No parts support, I do not sell any! You will get what you pay for.

I know the Lifan units are very well made and hold up well, just as their bikes. They use stronger frames than most and you already know about their engines. Tank has some larger units that are built by Linhai, which is actually a Yamaha when it come down to it. I cannot say anything about them other than I was told they are pretty much bullet proof, at least the 400 4X4. I will be getting some of these later and will be glad to post if interested.

What type ATV are you looking at and maybe I can help a little more, sport or utility, shifter or automatic?. A 250 would be my choice if you are looking at a 200, simply because of the power advantage and not much difference in price. The 200 is a strong engine, but the 250 is much better, in my opinion, and stronger.
I will be going to the dealer expo in a couple of weeks and that's when I can get a better idea of the progress that has been made as well as improvements on older models. The larger companies tend to make improvements rather than switch out models, the problem comes with parts supply, again, when models keep getting switched every year.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Oh yeah, you will still need to get a bottle of locktite for these, too.
If you are looking at the larger utility units, try to get a driveshaft model and you won't have to worry with the chain. The chains are usually mounted with the help of a tensioner, but not always. I have found some units actually loosen the chain when you sit on it, much less ride on it and those will need the aid of a tentioner for sure just to keep the chain on and prevent sprocket damage. Pay attention to the swingarm mounts as well as the suspension on the models you look at, as that will the most used part of the unit.