Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #1

2008 KLR650 Lightening Project

Thought I would post this here, as it has been a big part of the slow down on my other project. I decided to rebuild my gas-powered '08 KLR650 after my CVT manufacturer went belly up. This has slowed the diesel bike build down to a crawl as I'm waiting for the new CVT to arrive in the US. I'm still working on the diesel bike but most of my time has been spent on the gas KLR. I need to get a bike up and running, so that I can ride this year. The Diesel KLR is getting the stock forks and brakes from this KLR. As you can see I've swapped the forks. I've also added an aluminum KLR600 subframe to the diesel build. After the gas-powered KLR is finished, I'll start back on the diesel build. Probably in a couple of weeks.

Here are a few pictures of my 2008 Lightened KLR650. Just waiting for the last of the parts to arrive. Most of the mockup has been done. I still need to add a couple of radiator mounts and to make a few inner fender mounts for the subframe. You'll notice that the bike has 2008 Kawasaki KX450F USD MX forks. These have become a bolt-on modification now since Emig Racing has released a KX/KLR conversion steering stem. It's an awesome mod. My KX forks were rebuild, revalved and resprung by MX-Tech Inc. The first picture shows that all the extra tabs have been cut from the frame and subframe. As much as possible, all the unnecessary weight has been removed from the bike. Long range plans include a Rekluse auto-clutch and to remove the rear brake lever and the clutch lever. The bike has a cycleracks.com rear rack to haul gear and the Renazco +2 custom Rally seat was the one pricey item that I had to have. The seat will make long trips much easier on my backside. The Trail Tech X2 headlight and Vapor Stealth computer will be here next week. I'll add a small windscreen to the headlight at some point. For now, I'll be using a stock 2009 KLR wiring harness but the stock '08 KLR harness is being cut to the bare minimum. The wiring on these things is crazy. It's got to go. Only the starting, charging and ignition circuits will remain. A ProCycle add-on lighting harness will take care of the lighting.

My plan for this bike is to make it a do everything dualsport motorcycle. I want to tour on it but I still want the option of taking it off-road. A rear siderack system will be added to mount Pelican hardbags for longer trips. The rear rack (pictured) will haul whatever I can strap down to it for weekend camping trips. Two drybags will do for most trips. More rear suspension travel has been added with 2007 KLR650 Uni-Track linkage and a RICOR IAS (inertial) shock. It also has front and rear Galfer 'Wave' rotors. New Excel wheels are next on the list for Summer mods. The bike will soon have all new LED signals, taillight and a Halogen X2 headlight. All of the frontend parts are stock KX450F. From the axle to the mastercylinder.

What do you think? How did I do? :wink:

SamM

Fairing mounts and subframe tabs removed. Frame painted.

2008 KX450F USD fork conversion.

Minus the bodywork.

Removed the sidepanels and mounts. This is it. Just the headlight to add.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II