Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #1

Zong 249 Comparisons

so...there are three current offerings out there (perhaps more?) offering the newer zong motor with 249cc and 6 speed transmission. The Templar uses a carb where the other two use FI. There's not much difference as I can see between the Orion and KPX250 other than price point. Has anyone dug into these models further to really analyze any differences?

The Orion has always had a good reputation (in my mind) for quality. Reports of the KPX are very positive as well.

the Templar is 2100 with the carb. The Orion is 2900 (currently on sale). The KPX is 3200. Where's the real bang for the buck.

FWIW, I've really got an itch at committing suicide-by-wife by buying one of these. What does the collective think?

https://xprousa.com/products/free-sh...41870993359008

https://www.orionpowersports.com/ori...embled-tested/

https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...d-street-legal

Old 09-27-2022, 03:59 PM   #2

From a pricing perspective it's clear that the Templar is the best bang for the buck.. especially when you compare it to the RXB as they are more dirt oriented.. if you lean towards more 50/50 riding then you'll probably want to steer towards the KPX as I'm sure it's more comfortable to ride with a vastly superior seat (like a Brozz) versus the 2x4 style dirtbike seat.. with that being said if you scope your purchase to what will be fun for gravel roads, light trail and local stret riding then they all will do great.. touring and 2-up look elsewhere

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 09-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #3

Engine wise I believe they are close to equal. Obvious the Templar cost less because of the carb. and only EPA certified for Off road. But like the Hawk can be registered and tagged in most states.

The EFI bikes make a couple of extra HP. Lifan is the more expensive but for a reason. EPA certified for highway and full two year warranty with support from both the dealer and American Lifan. The Orion is like the Templar, EPA Approved for Off road only but most of us can get them registered and tagged.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #4

very good points! had not considered the registration part. I'll have to check with NC regarding that.

Are the seats on the cheaper ones that bad? never ridden that type before.

my perspective is more of a 50/50 bike. one thing that would have to change is the knobbies for a more moderate set of tires, similar to what the KPX already has.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #5

as far as build/component quality, is there much difference in these models?

Old 09-27-2022, 04:17 PM   #6

The KPX seat is pretty comfortable. I've done a couple of 2 - 3 hour rides on it so far with no butt hurt. lol More comfortable than my Hawk for sure. The Bike is very stable at speeds up to 76 mph gps which is the fastest I've gotten it to.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #7

Doesn't Lifan make their own engines, so that one wouldn't be a Zongshen? Maybe I'm wrong.

Another difference to consider: The Lifan should have an EPA certification and NHTSA sticker, which means you can register it anywhere except California. It's not currently CARB approved.

The other two likely don't have the EPA and NHTSA stickers, so they may be difficult or impossible to register for on-road use, depending on your local officials.

Since legal on-road riding matters a lot to me, I would only get the Lifan.

Plus, Lifan has good parts support. The others can be hit or miss, depending on whether whoever is selling them chooses to carry parts. Lifan has a US headquarters and you can buy parts directly from them or through dealers.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSK View Post
Doesn't Lifan make their own engines, so that one wouldn't be a Zongshen? Maybe I'm wrong.

Another difference to consider: The Lifan should have an EPA certification and NHTSA sticker, which means you can register it anywhere except California. It's not currently CARB approved.

The other two likely don't have the EPA and NHTSA stickers, so they may be difficult or impossible to register for on-road use, depending on your local officials.

Since legal on-road riding matters a lot to me, I would only get the Lifan.

Plus, Lifan has good parts support. The others can be hit or miss, depending on whether whoever is selling them chooses to carry parts. Lifan has a US headquarters and you can buy parts directly from them or through dealers.
Yes, Lifan makes there own engine. The KPX also has an oil filter as well. Not just the oil screen.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #9

I have a local dealer that sells several of the Chinese made bikes and I got to look at both the Templar and KPX side by side this week and they are just as everyone describes. (He said they should be getting Orions RXB's in sometime soon as well).

The KPX is a Subaru and the Templar is a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The seat is the lightly padded 2x4 Jerry has described and the KPX was surprisingly soft. If you are going to ride 80% of the time off road get the Templar then you'll have the extra money to spend on the additional wear and tear of riding predominately off road. The seat height is noticeably higher than the KPX.

The dealer had some recommendations when buying either of these bikes which I'm planning to do when mine arrives in a few days.

1. Adjust the valves during assembly. He said the valves are always tight because they want to make sure they pass emissions.
2. Put on an O or X ring chain. They don't stretch very much so you spend less time making adjustments and they last longer.
3. Its not uncommon for the factory battery to go bad within the first year. I'm planning to install an AGM sealed battery during assembly. The AGM batteries hold a charge better as well.
4. Change the oil and check the valves when you purchase it, at 15 hours, and then 50 hours. (They also install our meters on all their bikes and perform maintenance based on hours not mileage).
5. Grease the steering column and suspension linkages, they don't always come well greased.

I figured it won't hurt to do all of these thing and won't cost much additional and will be easier to do before the full assembly.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:51 PM   #10

This is how I pictured myself riding the Templar in traffic.

https://youtube.com/shorts/sHm_wizutuA?feature=share

Old 09-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #11

I was going through this decision process and ended up ordering the Orion.

The Templar wasn't available at the time in the 6-speed counterbalanced version and it is an attractive price point if you want a carb. I wanted EFI and the ability to use a programmer and I like all the support available for the Orion.

The Orion has better parts. The triple clamps, frame, and the battery is a Lithium-ion flavor. It has nice folding levers, high-quality bars, an adjustable suspension front/rear. Henner offers tuning which is a bonus if you want to better dial in the suspension for your weight and application. Adding a Seat Concepts comfort seat to the Orion if your ass is crying out for it.

If you are riding primarily on the road, and you are not interested in all the little Motorcross bits then the Lifan is the simpler option. The Orion is a good 50lbs less weight, and a better off-road tool in many ways so it really comes down to how/where you ride and your interest in wrenching on the bike.

And if you are in a state where it is complicated to put plates on a dirt bike, that is a consideration also. Washington would allow me to plate my washing machine if I stuck lights and a horn on it.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #12

I noticed a few components are upgraded on the Orion. Lower linkage on the rear shock is cast alloy, Nibbi throttle. But most of these things don't really affect performance. Same engine, same shocks, same turn signals, practically identical swingarm. It all comes down to EFI versus carburetor really. Otherwise, the bikes are so similar.

Personally, I am happy with carbed version, and willing to rejet with any exhaust or engine mods I might do in the future. I've never had any problems with a carburetor.

There is one other difference other than a $900 price difference...the Templar X has a good luggage rack. I'd like to get a closer look at the Orion, maybe ride it. The Templar X is a remarkable value, and the quality of ride and performance lives up to expectations. And PSM has been responsive to minor issues, including sending me a new front wheel no questions asked when I sent a photo of the crack in the right front seal shroud in the cast alloy hub.

They got the bike in the shippers hands within one day of sale, and I got it a five days later (pushed back two days by Friday/weekend arrival at local depot). It has been a good experience. I will have more to tell about PSM next week with some pics to go along with it (I broke something!).

Last edited by Thumper; 09-28-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #13

Thanks everyone! vastly insightful comments and help a lot! truly appreciate it!

Old 09-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #14

I was thinking more about it last night over a few beers. (dangerous, I know)

One thing that came to mind is the rack. the really crosses the Orion off the list.

I also want to be able to throw soft bags on it. the Templar appears to have better plastic coverage around the muffler so bags won't burn. The KPX does have a small bracket back there though which may help depending on where the bags go over.

The FI would be a big plus. I've noted to myself that I don't want to own any more carbed bikes. The price gap is the big question mark for me though. the FI does offer just a bit more power output and likely better fuel mileage.

I like the generous warranty of the KPX.

fuel capacity of the KPX is an extra half gallon. that's good for an extra 30 miles.

it might come down to the registration question. But I went the South Dakota direction when I bought my hawk and likely could do the same with the Templar if North Carolina gives me push back. With the SD approach, they don't care about inspections nor proof of insurance.....if they haven't changed the rules.

BTW...note that the link above to the Templar they are sold out. Found another site. 1900 plus 300 shipping. 2200 compared to 3100 for the KPX.

the suicide-by-wife is a factor too. She'd probably shoot me less times over 2 grand than over 3 grand. That might be a chance to live through it.

Last edited by Sport Rider; 09-28-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I was thinking more about it last night over a few beers. (dangerous, I know)

One thing that came to mind is the rack. the really crosses the Orion off the list.

I also want to be able to throw soft bags on it. the Templar appears to have better plastic coverage around the muffler so bags won't burn. The KPX does have a small bracket back there though which may help depending on where the bags go over.

The FI would be a big plus. I've noted to myself that I don't want to own any more carbed bikes. The price gap is the big question mark for me though. the FI does offer just a bit more power output and likely better fuel mileage.

I like the generous warranty of the KPX.

fuel capacity of the KPX is an extra half gallon. that's good for an extra 30 miles.

it might come down to the registration question. But I went the South Dakota direction when I bought my hawk and likely could do the same with the Templar if North Carolina gives me push back. With the SD approach, they don't care about inspections nor proof of insurance.....if they haven't changed the rules.

BTW...note that the link above to the Templar they are sold out. Found another site. 1900 plus 300 shipping. 2200 compared to 3100 for the KPX.

the suicide-by-wife is a factor too. She'd probably shoot me less times over 2 grand than over 3 grand. That might be a change to live through it.
Get the KPX and just blame it on me.

You can tell her you got it on sale by using the JerryHawk250 discount code and saved $50. I mean, isn't that what your wife tells you? right?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel