Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #31

Not a problem Oliver It looks like you need to turn the footpeg on the last picture a bit to the right, so the top of the peg is flat.
Maybe we can meet again and have BBQ at my house sometime in next weeks (JUL or AUG)? I will check what Weekends are best for me and let you know.

2012 Skyteam V-Raptor 250
2011 Yamaha Tenere XT 660Z abs
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
1989 Kawasaki GPZ 500

Old 07-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #32

I intented to give the footpegs a little forward angle according to the angle of the foot while riding. Maybe i was a little too optimistic.
I got the footpegs welded at work and i arrived there without the bike, only with the two frame plates. The angle of the welding was just try and error.
The result may seem a little strange, but it works really well, the footpegs are very grippy, almost too grippy for a quick change of foot position, especially with rough soles on my boots.

Great idea with the BBQ, just let me know.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #33

i know what you mean, too grippy is not good i find. certain boots (soles) work on certain bikes. the m2r boots i have are great, but on the honda i can t wear them...and it s not because of the colour match. so it is the doc martens on the honda.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #34

Yes, you need a fair amount of concentration while shifting. I'll try some other boots, maybe like this:

Old 07-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnolli View Post
The shifter is from a XMotos SBF31.

I found the shifter on german ebay for 10€ brand new. I just had to prolong it for about 4-5 inches. Here's another picture:

I found the brake pedal at http://www.skyteamparts.com/
I also ordered the two frame plates that carry the footpegs, just to keep them stored if i once decide to change back to the original setting. The plates will take another 5-6 weeks for delivery, the british guys sent me a mail to inform me, good communication with them.
Thanks for the link. I looked at the Sky Team site, but I'm not sure which model you chose for the brake pedal. Also, please let me know if you have a specific link for the shifter, since I can't negotiate the German eBay site. I'm grateful for your help.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #36

@Weld,
maybe this link will work, this is the seller that i got the shifter from.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/330712509233?...84.m1439.l2649

The brake pedal is from a Skyteam Cobra, but the 125cc model. The difference between the 125cc model and my 50cc model is that the shifting shaft (is that term correct? I mean Schaltwelle, maybe trailbikerider can help) is more rearwards on the 125cc model, so they use the frame mounted footpegs in original condition. The shorter 125cc brake pedal dropped right in.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #37

Thanks for the link. The seller doesn't ship to Canada, but perhaps I can find something similar in NA.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #38

Yessss, i got some work done!

One-piece aluminium rims for tubeless tires, black plastic coated, with new Michelin Bopper. I felt quite uncomfortable in wet conditions with the original china tires and i didn't wanted to accept the need of tube tires just to ride on blacktop roads.
The Michelins run very smooth when going straight, but they feel a little more nervous while entering the corners. Rubber is much softer than the china tires. I gotta keep some money back for the next set.

New taillight, also LED, but a more classic style which fits the bike well, i think.

Lower aluminium handlebar with clamps from a Honda Dax.

Speaking of Honda Dax, i got a complete footpegs/main stand/side stand-set for a Honda Dax and chopped both sides so only the main stand remains. And it fits with just a minor adjustment to get it about 1cm deeper down to give the bike a safer stand.

More to come, i'll keep you informed.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #39

Well though-out mods. Nice looking bike.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #40

all that makes a lot of sense, especially the tires. safety first. the good rear dunlop on my suzuki only lasted half as long as the cheng shin on the zong, but it does stick to the road nicely. but that is in dry weather. is the bopper for wet conditions?
here we ve had so much rain after 10 years of drought that a wet weather tire is worth a thought.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #41

The Michelin Bopper is not especially designed for wet conditions, it is more like a soft sports tire (what does suit it for wet conditions) with less negative profile (what does NOT suit it for wet conditions).
Over all, in dry conditions the Bopper is clearly the better tire compared to the stock china tires. By now i have only done about 60mls with them, only in dry weather. I guess if my main focus was on riding in wet conditions, i should have chosen an other tire.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #42

I got the honda ape or monkey or whatever its called today when i was 7 years.
It lasted rough riding for 10 years or so before it brooke.
Your project look awesome, must be a fun machine!
Really nice details.

It should be possible with correct stuff to make electric shifting.
Will google.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #43

@matasar, i like the old Hondas a lot, no matter if it's Monkey or Dax or whatever. The downside is that they got quite looked after and expensive. Also the prices of original Honda parts for them are just a bad joke. If you find an old Honda that is not butchered, especially in good stock condition and for a reasonable price: Get it!

Thank you for your comments. You're right, it is a fun machine, and people react in a special way at a big guy on a small bike.
I'm still thinking about a 200 or 223cc-conversion for next year, and i'm trying to get everything else done until then. We'll see.
Electric shifting is an interesting idea, but i fear the cost. In Germany we say "If a pig wears a suit, it's still a pig."

Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #44

Looks good Oliver. Did you need to put lead on the rims?

2012 Skyteam V-Raptor 250
2011 Yamaha Tenere XT 660Z abs
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
1989 Kawasaki GPZ 500

Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #45

Thanks Eric, no, no lead at all. But we had to do some work on the rims, they were a lot beefier than the stock two-piece-rims. We had to rework the valve holes from both sides, and we had to remove a little material from the edge of the front brake caliper to give it a little more clearance to the rim. Clearance was about 2mm, now it is about 4-5mm.

Today i get my footpegs worked over. The two stock frame plates turned out to be not as stable as i expected them to be. They bend because my feet are to heavy.
The local metal shop will do some stainless steel plates and reweld the footpegs. I'm courius how this will work out. I'll see this evening.