Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnolli View Post
@matasar, i like the old Hondas a lot, no matter if it's Monkey or Dax or whatever. The downside is that they got quite looked after and expensive. Also the prices of original Honda parts for them are just a bad joke. If you find an old Honda that is not butchered, especially in good stock condition and for a reasonable price: Get it!

Thank you for your comments. You're right, it is a fun machine, and people react in a special way at a big guy on a small bike.
I'm still thinking about a 200 or 223cc-conversion for next year, and i'm trying to get everything else done until then. We'll see.
Electric shifting is an interesting idea, but i fear the cost. In Germany we say "If a pig wears a suit, it's still a pig."
Your engine looks the same as my 167fmm engine.
So it should fit right into place with same bolting.
Its 230cc pushrod but they are also in OHC version i think.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #47

Pushrods will do it for me, i don't want to win a GrandPrix. About 60km from my place a guy does this conversions including the engine, the work and german TÜV for about 1000€. The TÜV-engineer must be his brother-in-law or something...

Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #48

My foot peg plates are bent a little also. I was thinking to make some out 10mm aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnolli View Post
The TÜV-engineer must be his brother-in-law or something...
Yeah, if you don't know someone that knows someone your're out of luck. Our car that we sold two years ago (I thank god I don't own that car anymore) only passed the inspection after the third time we were there. The guy was a friend from my father in law. I think he was blind on one eye and he forgot he his glasses that day. And it was small stuff like the seat belt didn't roll up by itself any more, or the back windshield wiper was broken. "If its there, it has to work". I was ready to cut it off and put a peace of tape over the hole. Or the drivers door didn't stay open by itself.

2012 Skyteam V-Raptor 250
2011 Yamaha Tenere XT 660Z abs
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
1989 Kawasaki GPZ 500

Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #49

Well, i reached the final stage of getting new footpegs, i hope. I got the bike back yesterday evening and the guy from the metal shop did really great. He used the stock frame plates with the footpegs welded to them, and he made 3mm stainless steel plates lying behind them, they are welded to the stock plates. On the first look i thought "Did he do anything?", on the second look i thought "Wow...". It took him almost the whole day, including one heli-coil-thread on the left side. Now rather the frame will bend than the footpegs . 150€, not cheap, but well spent for good work, i think.
Photos would not show any difference.

I need the bike running today, so the guy gave me good advice to get the plates painted fast: I should heat up the plates with hot air (google didn't find the right term for this thing. You know, like a blow dryer, but much hotter) and heat up the cans of primer and paint in the same way. It worked out well, one hour from naked steel wired to the clothes line to painted footpegs on the bike.

As i mounted the folding footpegs back to the plates, i tried and excluced the springs that put them back down. The footpegs now fold up to vertical and stay this way, so the kicker does not interfere anymore. Putted it back on. One kilo added again...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #50

I understand; the term you're looking for in English is heat gun.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #51

Sounds good about the the plates. Sometimes little things make a big difference.

2012 Skyteam V-Raptor 250
2011 Yamaha Tenere XT 660Z abs
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
1989 Kawasaki GPZ 500

Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
heat gun
Thank you!