Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #16

Tire changing isn't all fun and games.

Besides tire irons, and lube, you might need rim protectors, and a wire gadget to pull the tire valve through the hole in the rim, and a method of "breaking" the bead.

And then there is the possibility of "pinching" a tube, and you need to start over.

It can be very frustrating.

There used to be a shop in north GA that would mount and balance a new tire, off the bike, for $15....not any more.

If I could get it done for that now, I would.

If you think you will be motorcycling long term, you might want to buy a tire changing machine.

You can buy one on your own or go in together with some riding buddies.

Some local riding groups have a tire machine for the group.

Or ask around and you may find someone that has a tire machine that will mount a tire for a six pack of his favorite brew.

This one has has paid for itself over the years.

However, since I don't have a permanent place to set it up, I find that I regularly pull out the tire irons, instead.

jb

Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy1976 View Post
.... I finally ordered some 50/50 tires for my bike.....
BTW, which tires did you order?

jb

Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #18

On my dirt bikes, I've never balanced them. Didn't make much difference pounding around an MX track or hammering down a trail, especially at my skill level. It would be like me buying $10,000.00 worth of golf clubs. It wouldn't make my game better. ;-)
On the big street bikes, always......but the shop would do it.

I should pick me up one of those HFT balancers. Pretty slick.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
BTW, which tires did you order?

jb
Shinko 244s-I was going to order them from Amazon, but I found a local shop that beats Amazon's price, and they're nice guys, too. There's a motorsports service place next door that will handle the mounting and balancing, so it's almost a 1-stop shop.

I think, based on what you guys have said, I will pay the shop to mount my tires, as long as he'll let me hang out and watch. I know it's something I need to know how to do, but I'd prefer to watch someone do it once before I tackle it myself.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #20

For the RX3 I haven't bothered with wheel balancing.

Just aligned the balance mark, like Pete mentioned.

Go for a test ride, get up to 70mph, note for any unusual vibration whilst getting there.

Then when at 70mph, pull the clutch & drop the throttle at the same time and let the bike coast down to about 40mph. All is good if you get no vibration.

This is just what I do , so can't say if its good advice or not .

( my RX3 , as new came without any balancing weights attached )

Old 02-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Tire changing isn't all fun and games.

Besides tire irons, and lube, you might need rim protectors, and a wire gadget to pull the tire valve through the hole in the rim, and a method of "breaking" the bead.

And then there is the possibility of "pinching" a tube, and you need to start over.

It can be very frustrating.

There used to be a shop in north GA that would mount and balance a new tire, off the bike, for $15....not any more.

If I could get it done for that now, I would.

If you think you will be motorcycling long term, you might want to buy a tire changing machine.

You can buy one on your own or go in together with some riding buddies.

Some local riding groups have a tire machine for the group.

Or ask around and you may find someone that has a tire machine that will mount a tire for a six pack of his favorite brew.

This one has has paid for itself over the years.

However, since I don't have a permanent place to set it up, I find that I regularly pull out the tire irons, instead.

jb
Thats way to flash.........
I use a old 14' alloy car rim with a bit of hose split
& glues on the rim edge to protect the wheel..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #22

Quote:

jb
Ah, it doesn't need to be bolted to the floor, JB, it only needs to be attached to something to stand on, either metal plate or plywood.

Metal plate you can weld some studs on or just drill & tap some holes.

A 3'x3' sheet of 3/4" plywood with either Tee nuts installed or some carriage bolts driven through will also suffice.

When not in use, disassemble & tuck them all away. Or if you plan ahead the same base can be used to mount a pedestal grinder, vise, or other shop thingy.

Jay, cheap-ass bastage.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #23

The 244s have been great off-road tires for me and OK road tires. When my bike is loaded up with stuff in the boxes the bike will start to wander a bit up front when I get to the mid-60 MPH. Doesn't happen with the stock tires.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
The 244s have been great off-road tires for me and OK road tires. When my bike is loaded up with stuff in the boxes the bike will start to wander a bit up front when I get to the mid-60 MPH. Doesn't happen with the stock tires.
I read the thread you started re: your wobbling Shinkos, and after weighing the options, decided to go with them. I try to stay on lower speed roads (45-55 max) as much as I can, and I don't carry much in the stock luggage-usually just lunch and a few tools, just in case. I figured they're cheap enough, if I hate them, I can always try something else!

By the way, is your front tire 18" or 19", and do you think it would make a difference on the wobble?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #25

I'm feeling the need for that cool, blue tire changer.......... It's off the ground.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #26

A few things to clarify also. I did balance the Shinko's so that's not the issue. The bike has no wobble even at max speed if I don't have luggage on the rear. I think the issue occurs once the front end gets a bit light. If I slide forward on the seat and put weight over the tank it helps the wobble. I do love these tires for off-road! I have the stock 18" front wheel. I have no clue whether the 19 would help or hurt

Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #27

I have the 19" front and cruising 65 - 70 with a load I have no wobbles at all.
Farkles: CSC Skid Plate, Seat Concepts Low Seat, Genssi LED, Center Stand, USB/Cig Pwr, GPS mount, Spotlights, Sintered Brake Pad, 13T / 45T, Shinko 804/805, Side Stand Pad, Tourfella Luggage, Heated Grips, Sheepskin Gel pad, Progressive 465 Shock

Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
I have the 19" front and cruising 65 - 70 with a load I have no wobbles at all.
I have a birthday coming up and am thinking of begging for the 19" front wheel, just for available tire variety, if nothing else. Did you lose any road handling going to the 19"? I spend about 90% of my time on paved twisties.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I have a birthday coming up and am thinking of begging for the 19" front wheel, just for available tire variety, if nothing else. Did you lose any road handling going to the 19"? I spend about 90% of my time on paved twisties.
No. It handles quite nicely. I sometimes ride with a group of Triumph riders who like to blast through the twisties and I don't have a problem keeping up.
Farkles: CSC Skid Plate, Seat Concepts Low Seat, Genssi LED, Center Stand, USB/Cig Pwr, GPS mount, Spotlights, Sintered Brake Pad, 13T / 45T, Shinko 804/805, Side Stand Pad, Tourfella Luggage, Heated Grips, Sheepskin Gel pad, Progressive 465 Shock

Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Ah, it doesn't need to be bolted to the floor, JB, it only needs to be attached to something to stand on, either metal plate or plywood.......

A 3'x3' sheet of 3/4" plywood with either Tee nuts installed or some carriage bolts driven through will also suffice.........
Jay, that photo of the tire changer was from about 5-6 years ago in FL.

Since then, I've bolted the changer to a piece of 3/4" plywood with carriage bolts, and the changer is in NC.

The problem is that I only change 3 or 4 tires per year. The changer is stored under the basement stairs, and invariably gets buried under piles of "stuff" before I need it again.

jb