Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Remote start?

Hi all,

I saw on a few other bikes alarm/remote start included. It never really seemed necessary (or safe) to start a bike remotely, but seemed like a neat trick. I would think EFI, would be needed. It would probably be nice for the larger air cooled bikes (i.e. HD). I've seen kits for under $20 on amazon, and wondered if anyone has installed a remote/alarm on their RX3?

Old 01-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

It'll be interesting to see if something like this can work on the RX3.....not that I can see a real need for it. Like you say, neat trick.

We have remote start on two of our vehicles and use it constantly....but it snows and is freezing out. In the mornings, we stand in the warm house for five minutes and watch them thaw and warm up. Yes....remote start comes in dang handy then! It's nice to run out and dive into a toasty car with clear windows.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

I've installed a Gorilla Alarm on mine which uses a key fob type remote.

Remote start? Pass thanks. Because my safety and well being depend on a bike's condition I like to give it a visual overall check before starting, except perhaps when just stopping to fuel up. When returning to the bike after a meal or shopping I do a ritual inspection, a quick glance at the ground underneath for fluid leaks, look at the tires to see if they appear to have lost pressure, chain slack, and does anything look amiss from somebody tampering with it. That's all supplemental to my preride complete check of the bike. I imagine that for me, a remote start might have me forego my ritual and thus miss something important.

I suspect I'd install a remote start about the same time as a back-up warning beeper/camera and lighted vanity mirror. However I do wish http://www.jcwhitney.com/ still carried Winky the Cat. I'd put that on all my bikes.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

I agree 2LZ, remote start is a must have in my cars! Warm, and defrosted windows are invaluable... Plus cooled interior in the summer months. I'd like to have it on my sleds too... Seats, grips/throttle and engine warmed before I get everything on would be nice. It'd be more of a novelty on a bike, though... From what I can see

Old 01-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

How will we ever survive
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
I suspect I'd install a remote start about the same time as a back-up warning beeper/camera and lighted vanity mirror. However I do wish http://www.jcwhitney.com/ still carried Winky the Cat. I'd put that on all my bikes.
Thanks Jay, I just sprayed my laptop with tea when I found out what "winky the cat" was

Alls not lost next to winky on the google list was how to make your own w*nky the safety cat, this killed me too

http://jalopnik.com/238353/if-you-ca...the-safety-cat

Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
How will we ever survive
Yah yah yah! You young whipper snappers!

The bigger incentive is when you get tired of "Oh Blackbike!? Could you please go out and warm my car up and scrape the windows please? I'm in my dress shoes...."

Just wait....just wait. ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yah yah yah! You young whipper snappers!

The bigger incentive is when you get tired of "Oh Blackbike!? Could you please go out and warm my car up and scrape the windows please? I'm in my dress shoes...."

Just wait....just wait. ;-)
Thus, you notice where I live.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Thanks Jay, I just sprayed my laptop with tea when I found out what "winky the cat" was

Alls not lost next to winky on the google list was how to make your own w*nky the safety cat, this killed me too

http://jalopnik.com/238353/if-you-ca...the-safety-cat

At least it was tea time and not Guiness time. Yeah, I tend to have that effect. My wife has learned to not sip anything if I start to speak. It's not always an issue, but happens often enough.

Because visibility is always an issue for we who ride, I do have one idea which would only work on a bike without a top box. Picture one of those inflatable female dolls mounted on the pillion seat with nice bright LEDs sealed in the cheeks wired to the stop & turn indicators. Her top part could also have a t-shirt with the back printed
"Incontinent rider!
Keep back 50 feet!"

Old 01-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
...one of those inflatable female dolls mounted...
As scary as

Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #11

in my cars for sure. I don't see it as a practical accessory for a motorcycle. You might end up just causing yourself a wiring headache or some other accuse for it to shut off randomly.

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!