Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #1

Not Chinese (I don't think) Brammo - Enertia

http://www.brammo.com/home/

It looks like the Enertia is for sale now, under $8K. Still a little pricey in my opinion, but it's kind of neat.

Specs: http://www.brammo.com/learn/#specifications

Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Marzocchi, Elka and Brembo help to explain the cost. The idea is intriguing; ride to work at 60mph, allow it to charge for four hours (on the boss' dime) and then ride home.

I'd be shocked to learn that it isn't made in China or India.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Well I believe it is technically American, but I would think the components aren't. I'm not certain on this though.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #4

High price, and short range, but the speed is good, and it does look good for an electric bike.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

It does look good. Pricing not unrealistic. The need a more budget friendly model with lower end suspension and braking.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #6

I agree about the price, it originally was over 10K $ though. At least they're heading in the right direction there... It is hard to make a case for something like this though, when I could be on a 200 - 250 chinese dual sport for around $1K, giving me $9K to spend on gas before I reach the price of this.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #7

I don't want an electric weed whacker, much less a motorcycle. When the last drop of dinosaur is gone, then maybe I'll consider it. Even then it only makes 'global warming' sense if the source of the electricty is nuclear. Since I don't see that happening before the Second Coming, I'll cross the issue off the list of things I need to be concerned with.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #8

Well, I don't think thats the best argument, what about wind, solar, and hydro? I'm not an expert or and environmentalist, but what I read, even using power from a coal plant is less polluting then using gas.

I just think they're neat :P But they are limited by current energy storage. The batteries are too expensive and don't hold enough power.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #9

Over on the elmoto.net board, there is a guy called BrammoBrian, he designed the Brammo Enertia and the above photo is his own bike.

I think if electrical energy storage becomes more efficient then something like this would really take off. The instant acceleration, lack of maintenance, and the "neat" factor are pluses... I like the style on the Enertia as well, it's sort of a modern bobber standard type look in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #10

And some pictures for the dual sport crowd...

Old 01-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
what I read, even using power from a coal plant is less polluting then using gas.
Electricity Generation

The electricity sector is unique among industrial sectors in its very large contribution to emissions associated with nearly all air issues. Electricity generation produces a large share of Canadian nitrogen oxides and sulphur dioxide emissions, which contribute to smog and acid rain and the formation of fine particulate matter. It is the largest uncontrolled industrial source of mercury emissions in Canada. Fossil fuel-fired electric power plants also emit carbon dioxide, which contributes to climate change. In addition, the sector has significant impacts on water and habitat and species. In particular, hydro dams and transmission lines have significant effects on water and biodiversity.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/...D330A-1_En.htm

I *think* we have to admit there is no "clean" source of energy. I believe the trick is to use the least amount you can get by on no matter the source. Unfortunately as our population increases so will to the overall pollution no matter how small an amount an individual uses.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #12

Interesting, I would have thought Hydro would be a good choice. You are probably right about the the "trick".

Regardless, cost aside, I still think that something like this is neat. Definitely not cost effective to me, I would rather spend a tenth of that on a China bike, or a Honda CBR125 which gets around 100mpg or so?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #13

We have been taught/told to *think* (in my mind) wrongly.

Around town, whenever possible, I drive an "evil" 2 cycle scooter, that gives in excess of 100mpg.
Somehow, a 2 cycle giving 100mpg is "bad", while a empty SUV giving 10mpg is "good"?

Recently here the grocery stores have started charging 5 cents for grocery bags and holding their heads up as being "green". "Green" to me would be working with your suppliers to eliminate triple wrapping of goods. Charge, or not, for grocery bags, my household still throws out 3 bags of dry garbage a week, 97% of which is the "triple wrapping" most goods are sold in.

Electric power, to most folks, is "green" because the sites where it is made are mostly out of sight. What bothers me most is:It is the largest uncontrolled industrial source of mercury emissions in Canada. Read up on the effects of mercury on people and you might find that a little "global warming" is not too troublesome.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #14

I like the styling. Very nice. Good concept and probably a practical machine for alot of people. Now maybe more of a scooter concept with alittle less performance and more range for local travel.

Family of 5. We have a third of the trash that my single neighbor does.

This includes the disposable diapers. Half goes into the recycle. I reuse alot of the shopping bags for shipping padding instead of newspapers and foam peanuts.

I am be no means a green person. Just cheap. Usually leads to reusing stuff.

Allen

Old 03-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #15

Visiting the company's website, I see you can now buy the Brammo Enertia for $7,195 USD; the price keeps heading in the right direction! I believe the Brammo Enertia is currently the least expensive, electric motorcycle on the market.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894