Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

I liked reading rjmorel's post but I understand Zoro's purpose with this specific thread. After owners put 10,000 miles on the RX3, is there a point when valve settings start changing, as a possible indicator of valve recession, cam wear, or whatever. I have about 7200 miles on my RX3, valve lash was unchanged at the last inspection, but I would like to have a rough idea when I may be in store for some top end work, ala Spud.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I liked reading rjmorel's post but I understand Zoro's purpose with this specific thread. After owners put 10,000 miles on the RX3, is there a point when valve settings start changing, as a possible indicator of valve recession, cam wear, or whatever. I have about 7200 miles on my RX3, valve lash was unchanged at the last inspection, but I would like to have a rough idea when I may be in store for some top end work, ala Spud.
Right on the money

Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roronoa Zoro View Post
Right on the money
I don't mean to be rude, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

It's possible that Spud's case was unusual, particularly given the fact the problem valves were on the intake side, which are typically subject to less heat and stress than the exhaust side; he may have just been unlucky.

That valves are unchanged around 7-8k is probably good sign.

Really a wider net is needed - there's a lot of these bikes around, and if top-end rebuilds on or around 20k were needed I really think you'd be hearing a lot about it, as there's got to be some parts of the world where these things are used hard.

Collecting data is definitely a useful exercise, assuming people take notes.

Closed Thread