Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Selling your first bike?

I bought my 2002 SV650S right after I got married, it was my first new vehicle purchase. I don't buy things on a whim, and my wife actually made me get it so I would stop talking about it. I fell in love with the SV. I have spent many hours working on it, customizing it, making it my own. I have spent many more hours and nearly 40,000 miles riding it. I have so many good memories of rides and track days and time spent with friends all that. It has been like a family member and a really good friend to me.

But... I don't put many miles on it anymore. I rode it this week and had sore wrists, shoulders, back and neck. The power was nice (over the XF200) but the ride was uncomfortable. I think it is time to move on. I haven't done a track day in over 2 years, and can't justify the $250 or more it costs. Almost all of my riding these days is to work and back. I don't know if I can bring myself to sell it, though. Every time I think of selling it, I remember all the good times and memories. Like one of those sappy musical montages on TV. I also think that some day I am going to regret it as it is a fantastic all-around bike.

I keep thinking though, I can get probably $2500 for it, plus maybe $1k for my XF200, and I can then have $3500 to spend on something that better fits my current needs. I am undecided on what that might be, but there is a DRZ400SM for sale near me for $2800 right now and I have always felt a funny warm feeling whenever I look at one of those.

Has anyone else experienced the emotional attachment to a bike? Do you regret selling it?