Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2019, 10:51 PM   #406

I haven't tried either of my dogs in the sidecar yet. I don't think my granddaughter would move over anyway. :-D

Old 03-31-2019, 12:15 AM   #407

The Bambino had his first ride in the Ural yesterday. We went around the block while the Missus held him in the sidecar. He was much more interested in flipping the switches in the sidecar than actually realizing what was going on. Oh well, he's young, there's still plenty of time to get him infected with the motorcycle bug.

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1554005653
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ural Bambino.JPG (82.9 KB, 209 views)

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #408

Cool beans. Start them young.
My youngest grandson will get his first solo ride later next month.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Rode the Ural to the foot doc this afternoon. It's really nice out so I told Mrs. C I'd take the long way home. Long way home would be US20 through Elgin, where the 55 speed limit is more like a guideline. Ural hit 72 while keeping up with traffic. Redline is 5800 and I was at 5100, so I got off at the next exit and a more sane 60.

We've also had dog sitting duty this week, but try as I might, the grand puppy wants nothing to do with the sidecar.
Food ?those buggers do anything for food .

Old 03-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Food ?those buggers do anything for food .
Almost true. Ginny is getting up in years. I’ve watched her reasoning whether or not it’s worth the effort to get off her comfy chair for food.

Unless it’s pizza. Pizza is definitely worth it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #411

Quote:
Almost true. Ginny is getting up in years. I’ve watched her reasoning whether or not it’s worth the effort to get off her comfy chair for food.

Unless it’s pizza. Pizza is definitely worth it.
One of our dogs turned twenty around Valentine’s Day ,he is blind and deaf ,he will still do anything for food and he is very old for a dog ,although he is only upright about 15 minutes a day .
Throw a slice a pizza in the sidecar ,then get behind her with a scary vacuum cleaner .Instant sidecar friend ! .

Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #412

Our late, short for his weight beagle would have been in the tub without any coaxing. The Iggy probably would have, too. They were pretty calm in a canoe.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 04-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #413

Out on the pickemup truck yesterday. Two cans of gas for the mower and chipper, plus four 8’ pieces of trim for continuing honey do projects.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #414

Mod Day today. New deeper oil pan.

Kind of a slight pain in the butt to change out. One frozen bolt that released with a bit of heat. A lot of casting flash needed to be removed from the new pan, along with chasing the drain plug threads, and finishing the bolt holes. Now I know why I only paid thirty bucks for the pan.

The spin on oil filter is not to be just yet. My rig has a crossover exhaust pipe that interferes with getting the filter on. Solutions are, 1) Keep using the cartridges. 2) Remove crossover pipe. 3) Dent the crossover pipe. 4) Bring a case of beer to my friends machine shop and have him face off about 1/4-3/8" thread from the adapter. Doing number 1 now and eventually number 4.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 04-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #415

In prep for an upcoming trip next month, been doing the mods, a tune up, and various checks.
Tune up consists of new plugs, valve clearances, carb balance, and idle adjustment. Plugs, two years old, looked fine but new are cheap insurance. Valve clearances are .004” for both. Left jug was perfect, right was .005 and a tight .004. Both are the same now. Carbs were good, just needed an idle adjustment.
For the first time since I bought the rig, I pulled the petcock the check the in tank filters. I hear horror stories about them getting crudded up and causing fuel issues. Not a bit of crud on mine.

Decided to do a side by side comparison between the RPOC and the Maggot regarding problems.
Bought the Maggot in 2010 with 20K on the clock. Up to 27K now. In that time, the engine has been out twice. Once for broken timing chain guides and once for stator replacement, (which probably wasn’t needed). Spent months chasing a mid range rpm miss which turned out to be the ‘new’ coils. Put the original coils back in, no more missing. Replaced the tired stock CDI box with a FinnBoxG47, and then with an updated FinnBox. Ran great...until the low speed coil on the replacement stator failed. Choice was either pulling the engine a third time and replacing the stator with another crap shoot rebuilt, which, by the way, would require replacing the water pump seals. Again. Or, look into an Aussie developed and built Hall Effect ignition system with a microprocessor. Australia won, and it looks like it was a good choice. First set of replacement tires are going on soon. Largest outlays of cash were for ignition systems. Purchase price of the bike was $600.

RPOC is a heck of a lot newer, 2007 vs 1979, though much of the technology is 1950s. Had 15K miles on the clock when purchased in late 2016 for $6200. At 25K now. Other than the FD fiasco last year, removing the PO finger prints, and speedometers, have had very few problems. Largest outlays of cash have been for tires and fuel. The rig gets about half the mpg of the Honda and requires premium fuel. Sidecar tires wear funny and quickly. I’ve learned if you rotate between the hack and pusher tire, you can get a pretty good increase in tire life. Even better if throw the spare into the mix.

Both have their high points and low points but I think the RPOC grin factors are greater.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #416

The Ural requires premium? Is that due to high compression or just an antiquated head design?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The Ural requires premium? Is that due to high compression or just an antiquated head design?
Go with the second one. CR is only 8.5:1 but the 93 octane helps in keeping the air cooled head temps down. The deep sump has helped a lot, too.

The Maggot has a CR of 10.0:1 and requires 89. Go figure.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #418

I run premium in all my motorcycles, and usually the first tank of a long road trip in the Suburban. I think it's cheap insurance on the motorcycles, and I like to think that for a long road trip in the Suburban, a tankful of premium helps to clean everything out since the engine will be whizzing around at full operating temperature for an extended period of time. just my two cents worth, but for the cost of premium in the bikes, and the occasional 40 gallon fill up in the Suburban, it's not going to break the bank.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #419

Quote:
Go with the second one. CR is only 8.5:1 but the 93 octane helps in keeping the air cooled head temps down. The deep sump has helped a lot, too.

The Maggot has a CR of 10.0:1 and requires 89. Go figure.
I hadn't considered the cooler intake charge. Makes sense. As long as it will light premium at that compression ratio, I'd do it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #420

More truckster duties yesterday. Just made it into the garage before the skies opened up.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800