Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

TWO new Kawasakis!!!!!

This is what happens when you can't decide if you want a KLR or a KLX.

Just kidding :P .

The KLX is mine (yea!) but the KLR is on 'indefinite loan'. It belongs to the president of my hospital. He has many bikes, and has not ridden this KLR in 2 years. It has just been sitting on a charger. He wanted me to hang on to it as long as I like so it can get some use. What a deal!! It is all decked out with cool racks, skid plates, lights, windshield, special footpegs, and pretty much every adventure touring gaget a guy could want.

I bought the KLX today and rode it home from Moses Lake, about 80 miles to the north. The temps were in the mid 60's so it was a marvelous ride . I won't be trading in the Gold Wing anytime soon but the KLX did fine on the secondary roads and dirt roads that I rode on the way home. It used all of a gallon of gas.

I am a happy camper. :P

I'll post more pics and a bigger review of both bikes soon, but I'm wiped out for tonight.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

Beautiful KLX Doc! And a very nice KLR if I do say so myself 8)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Tomorrow I will plan to ride the older sylye KLR back to back with Roger's new one. I'll be happy to report my observations if you like.

Off the cuff the older one is much softer in it's suspension, and seat. The steering does not feel as 'tight' and responsive. The motors are the same. The brakes of the old one are not as strong. It does have some more suspension travel though.

The KLX is a light tight snappy machine. I will like it.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #4

While KLR's are really nice machines, that KLX looks like the perfect all around bike. Very cool. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #5

Other than highway, which is not the KLX's mission, it is a better choice for everything I will be using it for. Trails, light adventure touring, dualsport rides, commuting, and making a nuisance of myself in public .

On the way home going through some little farm towns I rode it alongside the road on some fallow fields, and down the sidewalk and over a curb in a semi-abandoned section of a small town.... :roll:

All this while my buddy Roger followed me home in his Ford Fusion.

Hooligan! :P

Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Tomorrow I will plan to ride the older sylye KLR back to back with Roger's new one. I'll be happy to report my observations if you like.

Off the cuff the older one is much softer in it's suspension, and seat. The steering does not feel as 'tight' and responsive. The motors are the same. The brakes of the old one are not as strong. It does have some more suspension travel though.

The KLX is a light tight snappy machine. I will like it.
Love to hear you observations of the two machines, I've never had the pleasure of riding a 1st Gen yet. Be interesting to see if there is much of a difference in them... From what I hear the Gen 2's new fairing design makes a huge difference on the highway, but I have no idea what the 1st Gen was like. There are avid followers of both models, a great all 'rounder bike

KLX looks identical to the one I was looking at, I believe it was a 2009 as well. Surprisingly tall bikes, just as tall as the KLR if I recall correctly. I think it's a very worthy successor to Q, you guys are going to have a blast! Enjoy 8)

Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #7

Thanks for posting the photos, Doc! I like the red, KLX 250S better than the green one. Also, it's very nice when someone loans you 650cc motorcycle for as long as you like! :P We eagerly await your updates, and more photographs!

Based upon my research, and several test rides, I think the new KLR 650 is probably superior to the first generation bike. It will be interesting to hear comparisons if you and your friend trade off riding the two different generations of KLR.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #8

Those are both very nice bikes, out of the two I'd go with the klx though, I like small bikes Very nice rides, Kawi Doc

Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #9

I like both, but the klx would suit me better too. After riding one of the first gen KLRs I found it too big for me unless I was just riding on the open road.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #10

More pics. :P

Look closely at the KLX. It will never be this clean again!

I took some of the KLX and the liller side by side. The difference is very large. The KLX is on a workstand so it appears taller than the KLR which is on it's sidestand.

The seat of the KLX is similar in height to the KLR but the bike is MUCH narrower making it easy to plant your feet on tera firma.

On the other hand the KLR has much softer suspension and seat so it sags much more when you sit on it. This generation at any rate.

I have a 75 mile off road loop planned for my friends and I. We will leave in 1/2 hour. Its in the mid 60's and sunny. This will be great.

I'll take the KLR, Roger will take his new KLR, and a thrid friend John is joining us on a big KTM D/S.

Wish us luck!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #11

I'd love to join you, but I'll never make it there in 1/2 hour.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #12

Thanks for posting the photos, Bill. Please do post more photos after you return from your ride!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #13

More pics of the ride are in the Ride Report section. Since we had a Chinabike (Roger's Q) with us I figure it's legitimate to post there! :P

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #14

Update on the KLR:

Top speed is between 95 and 100. I was running late for work this morning and there is a 5 mile highway streach on the way to this office).

Buzzy SOB over 70-75 though.

I think ALL D/S motorcycles, if not all motorcycles should be equipped with SIX speed transmissions.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #15

Congrats on the KLX. I love my '06.

BTW, did you know you can get a factory kit to up the cc's to 300? Apparently the KLX300 and KLX 250S share the same engine. The 250 just has a smaller bore so the KLX300 top-end will bolt right up.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"