Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

When a 20 minute job takes you all day

I made the attempt to fix a stripped bolt hole yesterday. Right in the middle of it I got a super important world is going to end phone call from work. The stripped hole stuff set way to solid around the bolt. Even slowly working the bolt back and fourth it eventually went PING and snapped. I still haven't gotten the broken bolt out. I thought it would be easier to take the magneto cover off, but in retrospect It will be easier to drill it on the bike as I do not have a drill press. I still haven't figured out how to take off the seat. It looks like it may be buried under several layers of 'stuff'.

When I removed the magneto cover it became very obvious how the threads got stripped in the first place. From the factory, too long of a bolt was used. It bottomed out against the rest of the engine and would never get tight so I'm thinking whatever tool was used to initially put it on there spun it around a bunch, but the blue loc-tite caused it to stick.

Zooming in views red arrows show the broken bolt:
First pic illustrates where the bolt is that broke off.

Closer up view:

Super zoom:

Inside of the magneto cover (only because Spud would say "too bad we didn't get a pic of the inside of the magneto cover" )

Flywheel

I'm going to post an "I admit I'm a bonehead" question on the Pitster forums to see if I can get a good how-to on seat removal. Until then, I've got a few ideas on how to keep the drill bit centered while I drill that old bolt body out. Whatever those bolts are made of, the do not like to drill.....

Daddy 8)

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Whatever you do, _please_ don't use an easy-out/extractor. That way lies damnation.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #3

Have you tried a cobalt bit? They'll usually chew through anything.

What's with the skidplate? It looks like it's bent up towards the drain plug.

Your countershaft sprocket has 11 teeth, and it's unlike any other that I've seen. I'm still no closer to the origins of this engine. :? [/quote]

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

Maybe the Chinese have hired some, brace yourself, engineers to design this motor. If this is a harbinger of things to come, we oughta see some pretty good stuff in the future. Looks nice anyway, hope they are bullet-proof as well.

Cobalt bits are it when drilling out the forsaken easy-out. They will be destroyed in the process as they are extremely brittle and will only work with patience - be careful!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Ez outs..... I've only used 1 successfully in my life. Every other time they have made the problem much much worse. I'll have to search out some cobalt bits and WD-40 and go to town. I just need it out of there, any other suggestions?

Daddy 8)

Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #6

Reverse drill bit. Many times they will actually remove the broken bolt just by using them.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #7

feel your pain dude, i was checking out my oil filter on the quad, the shifter was in the way so i went to remove it and snap the bolt that tightens it around the shift rod snapped off in the shifter.. that was mid afternoon and then about 4am i finally got the bolt drilled out, but some of it was left in it. so i removed the shifter and drilled it out some more eventually got it and the hole was big enough to put a large bolt with a lock washer on it..

youtube search removing a broken bolt, some great how to videos there that make it look all to easy

Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #8

Is the broken bolt sticking up enough to snork a set of vice grips on it? I have had good success with that method provided that the bolt isn't too tight. Hoping you can get it out without too many expletives.

Cheers,
Stew

Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #9

if the bolt is sticking out enough you could always do a little tack weld to another bolt and see if that can back it out

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
Ez outs..... I've only used 1 successfully in my life. Every other time they have made the problem much much worse. I'll have to search out some cobalt bits and WD-40 and go to town. I just need it out of there, any other suggestions?

Daddy 8)
Yep! You got that right! All the years of wrenchin and I've only had one success case. The rest were nightmares.....but do you think I'd learn!? NO! :roll: Because I used one successfully once.....there's always that chance I may hit another jackpot!....which...uh...wasn't the case with my 'factory crossthreaded' bolt in my X-Moto's plastic fork protector mounting bolt.
It's now runs on 1 bolt wth a snapped EZ-out in the other cross-threaded hole. :oops: :x

That is one big QC thing I've found on the CB's that are like no other. Some of the bolts are truly made of hard cookie dough. Extreme metal quality inconsistencies.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #11

***Disclaimer***
I never swear. I just don't. There are so many better words out there when something goes horribly wrong.

I swore today:

I dang near had the old bolt out. I was alternating between the drill and the center punch. I brought the wrong hammer....

I had to walk away from that the rest of the evening. I'm going to assess the damage in further detail tomorrow. It looks like a clean crack and if it is I'm going to JB Weld it in true chinariders fashion . Up until that point it was going great, but that little chuck must have been holding that whole puppy together.

Bah!

Daddy 8)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Have you tried a cobalt bit? They'll usually chew through anything.

What's with the skidplate? It looks like it's bent up towards the drain plug.

Your countershaft sprocket has 11 teeth, and it's unlike any other that I've seen. I'm still no closer to the origins of this engine. :?
The skid plate got a bit tweaked when my helper let the bike slip down hard on the lift. Nothing that a rubber mallet won't fix

Daddy 8)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #13

Know anyone with a TIG welder? That would make for a nice, clean leak-free repair.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #14

Quote:
***Disclaimer***
I never swear. I just don't. There are so many better words out there when something goes horribly wrong.

I swore today:
I always thought that was why Jesus was a carpenter. If you can work with tools all day and not swear you must be the son of God.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
***Disclaimer***
I swore today:
I dang near had the old bolt out. I was alternating between the drill and the center punch. I brought the wrong hammer....
Bah!
Daddy 8)
Tough luck... :x
Hope you can get it repaired.
Bill R