Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #1

Anyone have a Ford Expedition?

This one is within my driving distance. Looks to need just some minor bodywork. I need a larger vehicle to transport all the kids. Minivan is too small now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231135798514...torefresh=true

Being a Chinarider I have to look for the best deal out there.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

That was weird. Talking ad, with music. I didn't like that...

I don't know KBB on that but the price seemed very low to me, with minor cosmetic damage. Could be a great deal.

Too many kids for a minivan? That's a lot of kids!

Out here people (jokingly) refer to full size passenger vans as 'Morman Vans' Big families there.

They tend to be less money than SUV's because they lack the style and panache/macho of an SUV (like that matters...) and don't have 4WD usually.

Same mileage, more room, and less expensive than a comprable SUV.

If hauling a lot of people is a concern consider a Morman Van ;-)

Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #3

I have looked at the big vans too. They actually command a fair price around here if you can find one that has not been used to haul commercially. The problem with the minivan is that when everyone is in there is no room for their stuff. It also only really seats 6 in reasonable comfort. 7 people and the three in the back are very tight. We ride with 7-8 so that means two cars.

4wd is not really needed neither is the style. I actually like this one since it does not have all the leather and frills that break all the time.

The edmunds value was about $7200 in good condition. Kbb is usually higher than that.

Headlight $50, fender $80, Bumper cover $275. Hood is repairable. Paint about $300. So about $700 should have it looking good again. My guess about $3K at a body shop. Maintenance guy at work does auto body on the side. He can paint it. I only need it close.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #4

I bet that 5.4l is thirsty.

I watched the video a couple of times, and it doesn't appear to have much more room inside than a Pontiac Montana / Chev Venture, and both of those vans can seat eight.

The later model Caravan with Stow and Go seating is really nice, because seven people can ride comfortably, and there is cavernous space in the floor (behind the driver's seat) and in the back (behind the rearmost seat). The 3.6l VVT engine is just shy of 300hp, and it gets unbelievable mileage. A lease return can be had for a very reasonable price. My 2011 is about to come up for purchase for around $7000.00, with only 65,000 miles on it. Remember that is a Canadian price, and you should be able to pick one up for even less.

With whatever you choose, the rear HVAC is totally worth it. I spotted rear HVAC in the Expedition ad.

I'd also look at a full size van before an AWD Expedition. I can appreciate that eight people and two cars is difficult, and being able to haul everybody in one vehicle offsets some poor mileage.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

Our van is an 05 with the stow and go. It has been fine up until now. We plan to keep driving it and add another vehicle to the fleet. Part of what I am after is a vehicle that can handle the trailers too. This won't be a daily driver, just the one that can be used when everyone is going at once.

I am surprise that your van is so cheap. The seem to sell for more in the US.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

I haven't found any grand caravans with 8 seats. Does yours have a bench in the middle?

I don't like the GM minivans. Really a Ford person, but I look for the best deal.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #7

How about this morman van. I would like a non extended one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Serie...US_Cars_Trucks

Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

another option..

i bought this lil over a year ago. 02 gmc safari awd... fully loaded. has more interior space than a suburban!. 3 row seating, so could seat 8 if needed..

i wanted this vehicle as it has a truck drivetrain.. the vortec 4.3 is pretty well bullet proof. mine came with a classIII hitch with trans cooler/oil cooler and 7 pin e brake controller. so i can tow with it as well. or just plug the hauler and throw bike on back..

a typical minivan has engine that sits in frame sideways and trannies won't hold up to pulling over time. the safari will pull all day long. we just had some nasty weather here recently and the awd worked flawlessly...

remove the 2 rear rows and you can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood in there, so a twin bed/air mattress or cot fits nicely.

i never thought i would have a van, but i must admit it one of the most versatile vehicles i have had yet! has rear heat/ac that works nicely... had 96,000 miles when i bought it and has 106,000 now and only thing it has needed is oil changes. runs like a watch!... i gave $5,000.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

I had a safari. Spun two rod bearings in Iowa. Really didn't like it either. That van must have been a friday build. I built the transmission with 4l80 planetaries and a shift kit.

It did have alot of space, but I want the V8. I am planning on towing 6-7K trailers.

We have been using the town and country, but towing with it is really not good. 1500lbs is okay.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
I haven't found any grand caravans with 8 seats. Does yours have a bench in the middle?

I don't like the GM minivans. Really a Ford person, but I look for the best deal.
My Caravan has buckets in the middle row and seats seven in total; I've never seen a Caravan that could seat eight.

I've never heard a good thing about Ford minivans, particularly the Freestar. I like Ford and GM mostly. I'm not a Dodge guy, but I can't deny how versatile these vans are.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
How about this morman van. I would like a non extended one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Serie...US_Cars_Trucks
You could make some money on those crazy rims, and I'm not sure that you'd want a lifted van. Not sure what it would take to lower it to stock, without knowing how they did it.

I think that van would be rock solid for a long time.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220 View Post
another option..

i bought this lil over a year ago. 02 gmc safari awd... fully loaded. has more interior space than a suburban!. 3 row seating, so could seat 8 if needed..

i wanted this vehicle as it has a truck drivetrain.. the vortec 4.3 is pretty well bullet proof. mine came with a classIII hitch with trans cooler/oil cooler and 7 pin e brake controller. so i can tow with it as well. or just plug the hauler and throw bike on back..

a typical minivan has engine that sits in frame sideways and trannies won't hold up to pulling over time. the safari will pull all day long. we just had some nasty weather here recently and the awd worked flawlessly...

remove the 2 rear rows and you can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood in there, so a twin bed/air mattress or cot fits nicely.

i never thought i would have a van, but i must admit it one of the most versatile vehicles i have had yet! has rear heat/ac that works nicely... had 96,000 miles when i bought it and has 106,000 now and only thing it has needed is oil changes. runs like a watch!... i gave $5,000.
X2 on an Astro / Safari with a 4.3 Vortec and a Class III receiver. I've put about 100,000 miles on an extended Astro with excellent results, but it was uncomfortable for me. Since the left side wheelwell is under your left foot, there's nowhere to stretch your left leg on a long drive.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #13

I would not want a lifted van for hauling kids either. Forgot about the no foot room of the safari. So many bad things with that van. It only got 14-15 mpg too. I can get that with a V8 or even the v10.

We stopped and looked at an excursion yesterday. My wife like it. Its what I wanted. The excursion has room behind the third row seat.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

expeditions are good vehicles, hope you have good luck with it. the 5.4 is a good engine. maybe find out if the plugs have been changed, they can be troublesome... either pulling threads outta head or snapping clean off.

Quote:
So many bad things with that van. It only got 14-15 mpg too
sounds like maybe yours had issues.. my awd got 19.2 pullin a trailer with two bikes on it... haulin 2 people and camping gear running ac as well on a trip outta state.

totally agree about the cramped foot room thing though, sometimes i hit both pedals at same time...

Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #15

I think that the engine had some problems that led up to the spun bearings. Even after we put a new crank, bearings, and oil pump in it still was not right. I got rid of it after the new crank was installed. Only lost about $1000 on it after a year of repairs.

I also did not like how difficult it was to work on. We managed to put the new crank in from the bottom of the van. Removing the engine requires lifting the body off the subframe.

Not concerned about the 5.4 sparkplugs. The newer ones break off and there is a tool for that. Tip is to remove them hot with an impact. The earlier ones would strip the threads and leave the engine. Had that happen on an old subaru. Thought the exhaust fell off again, but we found a loose plug wire with a missing plug. Auto parts store in Shakopee, MN had one left. Threaded it back in and continued on our way. This subaru was worth about $50 with a full tank.