Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #1

What are the best 250 or bigger quads

I looked in the sticky for maybe a buyers guide or something, but didnt see it. I have owned 2 chinese dirtbikes, a 250 Hawk, and a 250 Tao Tao and was impressed with both for the price.

Wife laid down the Tao Tao, and wants a 4-wheeler now. LOL.

What ones should I consider? TIA

Old 03-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #2

The Taotao Rhino has a good engine, pretty much the same as the Hawk or Taotao 250 bike but most people will want to change a few things to make it more useful. The gear ratio is too tall for most uses. Front brakes are a joke. Seat tilts uncomfortably forward. Ball joint rubbers crack almost immediately. Shocks are quite stiff. Etc.. Nothing that can't be changed.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #3

Thanks Mudflap. I will keep my eyes open for one!

Old 04-17-2022, 07:17 AM   #4

Hello Rhino is a good choice, know a lot of people that love em.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:18 PM   #5

Have a Rhino and love it.... lightly modded

Old 05-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #6

Just bought a Rhino 250. Have a 200 quad with GY6 automatic and not fond of the engine vibration so decided to try the Rhino with manual tranny. Way smoother running. Did some mods already which included wheel spacers, front engine sprocket and gas shock on the rear. Just the front sprocket change has given me the power I need so will hold off on the rear sprocket change until I find a need. Picked up spare adjustable carb and filter while ordering things but since it already has a PZ27 on it I will wait and see how it does. Now to put the foot rests and racks on it. Would like to thank everyone that has previously posted Rhino info and pics it is a super big help

Old 05-12-2022, 11:30 PM   #7

The Vitacci Pentora 250 is a great china quad. Just my .02.

TORKER.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #8

I know I'd buy my Rhino again.

I've been plowing NJ snow for 4 winters with my 2018 Rhino 250 now. I'm talking two very long and very big driveways every time it snows. The only thing I changed was the front sprocket & chain and tire chains. I've been beating the piss out of mine, working it far beyond what the makers designed, I'm sure. As long as the battery is fresh she always starts right up and goes to work. And it's fun when you just want to ride around.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:45 AM   #9

I have a lot to say here after driving my Vitacci Pentora like a mad man all winter.
It met up to my expectations and they were actually pretty high. I did a ton of research on the Pentora, and did the same when I bought an X-Motos 250 dirt bike about 14 years ago, which was the best of the Chinese clones pouring in from China that were all based on a Honda.

The Zong Shen engine in the dirt bike does seem obviously superior in materials, design and size, but the Pentora is a beast that makes the bike a boring dinosaur, especially comparing the first 2 gears and top speeds. I was easily hitting 45mph on dry pavement in frigid conditions, and it could take 2 more gears but hitting 80mph on a 4 wheeler would kill a lot of unskilled drivers that would be prone to buying them due to price.

I understand my opinion is based on a quad made for racing, drifting, jumping, mudding etc., so what you're interested in might not relate. I looked at the hunter and work models as I regard them, and believe I can weld and craft my own quick lock add ons to provide the same features, robust air deflecting body, winch and metal cargo racks. I also knew whatever style I bought, I would more likely just ride the thing like a maniac for sport all of the time which is what I did. Drifting full throttle at a good 40 to 50mph on snow packed streets for a hundred feet with complete control no problem. I took it over a course of streets where one portion had massive ripples like a motocross track, then a massive long pattern of scattered hills about 8 to 10 inches high. I could stand up and just glide over them full throttle by the 3rd or 4th time I had gone over them.

I had a crash I won't divulge too many details to, but my tail bone took a power slam from an unplanned wheely at what I'm sure in terms of rotational speed, was far beyond 100mph. It just hinged and crunched me at lightning speed after the muffler fell off and it's torque was the will of Satan! The quad took a hammering after it launched away from me that was worthy of a globally viral video with a few million views, but it survived without any significant damage whatsoever. Now there is no person on earth that can convince me this won't hold up to a Japanese or American made quad. It's a 230cc engine billed as 250, and could drive a 6 gear transmission with ease carrying a 200lb rider.

The only complaint I have is the headlights are just absolute shit.
If I add a narrow straight pipe since the accident lost the muffler, I think I'll be able to break 50mph without struggle with the back pressure tuned correctly. The volume isn't bad at all in tests, and I've added a 90 degree curve to the end so it points the noise at the ground. I will also test packing some steel wool in the pipe, but will ultimately build a custom exhaust myself regardless of how this first experiment performs. I also plan to add an oil cooler because this sucker gets insanely hot, even in single digit temperatures.

One tremendous fear I do have from the high performance is burning up my engine.
It currently has all the body panels stripped off while I repair the throttle cable I snapped, upgrade the fuel line with much larger and higher quality as well as proper hose clamps, finish aligning it with a jig and of course a few other mods. I installed 2.5" spacers and still have not had a chance to test drive it, but the expansion makes it very commanding and intimidating. I have a red, deranged looking vampire skull mask on the front with metal devil horns that is held in place by a big metal chain laced through the eyes lol. I also have a Jason mask and a few others that make it look crazy and attention grabbing.
I will add a ton of LED flood lights I already purchased, a winch and some sort of incredibly loud mobile stereo system.

It pulls wheelies easily in 1st and 2nd gear with my 200lbs on it, does donuts and other tricks great. Jumps like it only weighs 150lbs the few times I got decent height off the ground, and thankfully under the front plastic body panel, the gast tank is actually metal! lol

Old 05-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #10

The Pentora 250 UT machine does look interesting in a utility quad configuration. I might would have tried one if they had been available when I bought the Rhino. Info and parts availability will help determine their success. For me the manual tranny gets more power to the ground than any of the chinese automatics I have ridden.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #11

[QUOTE chinese automatics.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to suffer through an automatic lol.
I beat the crap out of it for a couple months in winter, and just a couple hoses went outside of wrecking it. That damage was the starter and headlight control and the body. It's nearly riveted back together and will have even more power when it's done, but will be a lot safer.

I looked at the Rhino and countless others, but wanted a blaster style for mayhem riding.
This is the wave of high end, odd-brand ATV's that I am sure will get squashed by the industry buying into them and contracting to build for them.
When that happens, they won't be so affordable anymore and what comes out on the low end of pricing is likely to be junk.
I have seen it happen in electronics, musical instruments and other avenues of commerce, and what I see online after Amazon ATV's and Walmart ATV's bombed, and they barely carry them now. China upped the quality immediately after which means an industry shift.