Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Apollo CRF2 125cc

I bought this bike as a firs step to teach the GF how to ride a motorcycle. Shift, balance, stop and go with a motor. Everything is very expensive here in Hawaii and a KLX 110/130 or equivalent is 5k$ out the door. That's crazy for a dirt only machine that she would inevitably outgrow quickly.

The bike is solid and well made. Starts pretty easily right out of the box, but even better with a new plug and carb tinkering . Its NOT a 125 supercross bike and jumps are sort of scary. The front dives hard on landings and feels like its going to pitch you, and the rear shock is like a rock. My friend changed his fork oil to thicker and installed a better shock and its better, but no trackbike. I made adjustments to the shock and its a bit better. I'm only 130# so i shouldn't be overwhelming the forks either.

For the money you can't beat it though. You will have to go through the bike and tighten and adjust everything including spokes. But this would be a great opportunity to teach kids how to work on the bike. This is really a minor complaint considering how great the bike is for the money.

The only real complaint i have is that neutral is dead at the bottom (not between 1/2 like most bikes) This takes away from the part about "teaching someone how a bike works" a bit.
The other reason this is a problem is now that she's outgrown it, ive been using it to explore trails and terrain i was too afraid/or not ready yet with the weight of a bigger bike. (in some cases i simply just carried the bike when i couldn't get through stuff.) But i'm constantly engaging neutral by accident when i really need first. This is really a minor complaint considering how great the bike is for the money.

Bottom line:
teaching your kid or GF to ride on grass or dirt/trails. EXCELLENT
A cheap track bike for racing or jumps. NOPE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0966.jpg (96.2 KB, 547 views)